1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eye Test Folks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by javal_lon, Jan 13, 2021.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'm old school( only 43 tho) and proud of it... I'm just wondering if the analytics talk will simmer down in this forum with Harden, Morey, and D'Antoni gone... These analytical acronyms became annoying IMO for fans that know their bball ****.... I agree though that some analytics are necessary... But all these posters that think they winning discussions with TS%, PER, WKRP in Cincinnati talk , made me cringe... Can't even have a real chat without a googled stat thrown in your face...

The Rockets may not be **** anytime soon, but I'm excited to see some real bball now and talk real bball... But I get it, its the new way of analyzing teams now.. And it's effective I'm sure... But that **** got outta hand on here...

People , such as myself, that criticized the James Harden era knew it was much more than some man- made acronyms that kept us from the chip... Sometimes things appear as they seem... Can't put an analytic on heart, adaptability , and want to!..

This team ain't built for analytics whatsoever... Gonna take heart, basic skill(boxing out etc) and cohesion to even be respectable for years to come... But I'm down to support and talk that eye test **** with bball realists...

wolstein, Shark44, Cstyle42 and 7 others like this.
  2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

16 stars thread.

will read again.

fryjol7 and Dankstronaut like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

Highlyrated and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I like the eye test

but just like people can be idiots and not know how to properly use stats and analytics .... some people are blind when it comes
    To basketball

the number of times I’ve seen “rockets need to box out” when the result of the play was an offensive rebound, but a long rebound off a 3 is staggering .

the one fundamental I DO think is missing Is that if we are gonna foul , foul hard .

javal_lon likes this.
  6. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

You the OG. Props. You're right on about how the franchise was going nowhere with number crunchers dictating things and putting faith in Harden, someone not capable of leading a team with title aspirations. These analytics driven basketball philosophy that Morey started SUCKS. Its like Billy Bean and Oakland. It maximizes value in the regular season BUT FAILS in the playoffs

Can't beat the eye tests. Hope HOU can return to that now. Can't measure heart and passion. Numbers don't show that, only eyes do. If you saw Harden over the past decade you know that guy is a Fraud

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't understand this way of thinking.

Did James Harden and/or his style of play bring the city of Houston a championship? No.

Did James Harden and/or his style of play make the Rockets competitive every single year he was here? Yes.

People can have their opinions on iso-ball vs 'team-ball' or whatever, but the Rockets have 8 straight years of postseason appearances that coincide with Harden's time here. The man played basketball, whether you enjoyed the style or not.

Longest current streak in the NBA that's about to be broken, because I doubt we'll be amongst the top 8 teams in the west, this year.

ElPigto likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Amen.

Play the game, enjoy the show.

DD

don grahamleone, javal_lon and Ramo$e like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Stats like TS% and PER are completely appropriate stats.
    If you didn't like it when people were bringing them up... that doesn't make them bad stats, lol.

The Rockets didn't win a championship with Harden because of defense - which the above stats and few advanced stats factor in. Certainly an interesting question if the fact that analytics isn't as good for defense factored into DM not being able to create as good a defensive squad as an offensive one.

But "analytics" are great.

You can be good at "analytics" in all kinds of systems.

I think you're complaining about the ISO system...

Highlyrated and Ramo$e like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hate the EYE Test, for the most part, because people will blatantly lie
    and then just double down on their stubbornness with the EYE TEST

PERSON 1: EGo is better than Harden . . based on the EYE TEST!! Just look at this that and the other
    PERSON 2: Well here are these stats. . . .
    PERSON 1: man f*ck that . . .the EYE TEST is right!! You nerds take the fun out the game .. . all i need is the eye test

Rocket River

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Great, great post. I hope the tone of the forum changes and we can go back to discussing basketball. I was so tired of the analytical justifications of James’ obvious flaws, and the “No! He’s actually the greatest scorer of all time because WAR, TS, PER” argument. So one dimensional and lazy. Take that **** to Brooklyn. I am going to enjoy seeing it blow up there. How will they justify Harden then??

javal_lon likes this.
  12. clos4life

clos4life Member

Anyone that hates analytics is just not moving with the times. If you want to make your team better stop being like Charles Barkley and line up with someone like LeBron, who actually knows the value of analytics.

ElPigto and bulkatron like this.
  13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Sorry to disappoint you but just like baseball, analytics is the new lens to view the game. You can enjoy it at an level you want, but it’s hard to argue that analytics don’t add insight

REEKO_HTOWN and javal_lon like this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

When you have a ****ton of people who just straight up DENY what they are seeing, and only see it in their extreme lens of "CHAMPIONSHIP OR NUTS", the eye test doesn't mean **** all. You HAVE to have data to back up what you THINK you are seeing.....otherwise it's just hearsay, and people can toss in whatever nonsense agenda they have and you have nothing to refute it with. Data is knowledge, and knowledge is ammunition in a discussion.

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I agree but folks on here here Google some **** other folks made up, and think they shamed you... I'm just talking about bball talk from the common fan... Analytics is great but it's overtaken simple discussions...

16. TimDuncanDonaut

If you're playing basketball, you may not like it. As it put more science over the 'art' of basketball.

If you're managing a team, and care about Win/Loss ratios, you should care about analytics.

If you're a fan then well, ... to each his/her own.

javal_lon likes this.
  17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

that’s fair. At the end of the day, if you don’t enjoy watching the game, I don’t know why you bother with stats. But analytics aren’t going away. We still play Moreyball but now with motion

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That ain't a good example... Who in their right mind would think that Ego is better?. No need for an analytical breakdown... I'd just ignore the mfer! Lol

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Shane Battier or Rudy Gay?

daywalker02 and HewbieTrippin like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

a lot of people have sh*tty eye tests tho

Some people’s eye tests say that Tyler Herro is a Kyle Korver, and we’re just supposed to take that seriously? Some people’s eye tests tell them that Ben Simmons is a foundational piece that u build around. LOL

some people’s eye tests had them saying EG was better than Bradley Beal 2 years ago...

ElPigto likes this.