1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

In fact, it's worth zero consideration.

2. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I wasn't asking for your consideration. Thanks.

#1442 Chilly_Pete, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Wonder if Chas McCormick and Luis Garcia could net Andrew Benintendi?

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Hand scares me on anything more than a 2 year deal. His velocity has been dropping the last 2 seasons.

In 2018 his 4 seamer was averaging 93.8

In 2019 it was averaging 92.7

In 2020 it was averaging 91.4

I would prefer Yates and I wouldn't be upset if we got Colome instead of Hand.

everyday eddie and texans1095 like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I hope its us i think he is a great player to add

7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Give me Rosenthal over Hand. Intrigued by Benintendi for the right price.

8. raining threes

Not able to read tweet.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rival executive familiar with Red Sox thinking said he would be “shocked” if Andrew Benintendi wasn’t traded before the end of the weekend.

raining threes and awc713 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

That is the concern... do we really want to gamble 8-10 million for a year of Rosenthal when there is a 50/50 chance he is either prime Billy Wagner or bad Ken Giles.... how crushing is it for this team if we get Giles like play? Could be bad.

kaleidosky and raining threes like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I am fine with Benintendi filling an outfield spot for the Astros. I think his actual production is less than what people believe. He had one really good year and then one other okay season. Still he would basically be replacing Reddick and he is a certain upgrade there... he also can play some centerfield if he is healthy... he had some really nagging injuries the last couple of years.

12. raining threes

Give me Colome and Yates. In fact I would rather gamble on Yates cheaply than Rosenthal at 10 million.

Thanks, I would definitely get this guy if the price was say Abreu and Marte.

kaleidosky likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Regarding CF, it may be health, but he has not looked like a centerfielder. It could be playing in Boston as he does not not have a good reaction off the bat. It is tough to be a centerfielder without elite speed or a good/decent initial reaction to the ball. Though once he's moving, he tracks the ball well.

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Trade for Andrew sign JBJ
    That would be an A+ offseason.
    Get those relievers and move forward.

With the possibility of trading Grienke at the Deadline for some high end prospects if we can't get him to agree to an extension that's with in reason.

Same with Correa with in reason.

Both those guys don't wanna stay they ship to the highest bigger.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think he is ever going to be a good or even average every day centerfielder....... however I do think he can play there 35-40 times a year.... essentially it lets the Astros change up their lineups some. I am more curious about Profar and Semien and Simmons as possible additions that would allow the Astros to move Bregman to the outfield if they choose to go that route.

There are also an absolute glut of pitchers still on the market...... Melancon, Nate Jones, Bedrosian, Bradley, Boxberger, Cishek, Hunter, Jeffress, Kela, McGee, O'Day, Yates......... some of these guys are going to get close to the minimum.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I believe that if Benintendi is completely healthy he can passably play CF as long as the guys in the corners are good defenders with plus range. Especially knowing that Straw can come in late in games.

I am liking Benintendi more and more after digging in a little. I don’t think he’s been healthy and I think he made some bad changes (mostly to his body). If he is healthy I think he can revert his body back and be a 3-4 win player who can play CF most days. That said, I think Bloom is a savvy executive so he may know something, or otherwise he may be asking quite a bit.

A combo of Benintendi and another athletic guy (Profar, E Hernandez) would be fine defensively regardless of who plays where.

I also am very open to the idea of them adding an infielder (LeMahieu, Semien, etc) who can allow Bregman to move to RF for a year, since it would add versatility this year while providing some insurance for when Correa is gone.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If Myles Straw says so, Its official right boyos?

kaleidosky and desihooper like this.
  18. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

With Uncle Mike too. Is that a hint? I would hope so.

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You'd hope, otherwise he's pretty dense...

20. J.R.

J.R. Member