1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fwiw, adding Hendriks did push the White Sox past the Astros in fangraphs war projections (38.9 to 38.8). Houston currently the 6th best team in mlb according to that measure. It’s crazy how good Houston was in terms of fWAR from 2017-2019. By season:

2019: 64.5
    2018: 55.0
    2017: 52.7

Those are insane numbers. That 2019 offense might have been one of the top 5 in the history of the game.

#1421 Snake Diggit, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I am glad we did not overpay for Hendricks. I also feel that Brad, for less years and less money, is the more value play anyway.

Brad and Rosenthal (or Kirby Yates), and we are done with our bullpen, and can focus on our OF.

I wouldn't mind OF additions of Ozuna (all offense, crap defense, but I am hoping our short porch in left would mitigate his defensive shortcomings) and Eddie Rosario (still just 29, lefty hitter). If Rosario is too expensive, my fallback option would be an incentive-laden Puig deal.

Not the sexiest of offseasons, but I think that would get the job done.

desihooper likes this.
  3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Houston Astros gave Hendriks the hard sell but not enough money, and the Toronto Blue Jays likewise chased Hendriks and whiffed -- and count Ray at $8 million as their lone move of consequence this winter.

Above from Passan.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hendriks is the first free agent signed I thought was on Houston's radar. Hand or bust.

#1424 Joe Joe, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  5. Nook

Nook Member

It is possible they end up bidding on Colome and lose out on Hand.

I personally would rather have Hand, but the Blue Jays and a couple other teams like the Mets may get in on the Hand bidding.

Colome isn't anything special to me but he would be a good reliever.

Click should be familiar with him as well.

kaleidosky and raining threes like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

There’s a pretty big difference in value and fit between Hand and Colome. I don’t mind adding Colome, he’s a solid late inning option, but Hand projects to be a lot better.

raining threes, Nook and Htown Legend like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Relievers are so very fickle. The thing I liked most about Hendriks is that he had a long way to fall and still be productive. I see Colome as all downside. You might get what you pay for, but you might also get nothing. Hand and Rosenthal seem to be the next best 2 relievers. Yates would be good to with a good physical. After that, might as well buy cheap and flip a coin.

kaleidosky and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I don't really view Colome as in the same class as Hendriks or Hand or even a healthy Rosenthal.

He just doesn't have the same quality stuff.

Rosenthal is scary, you don't know what the hell you are going to get..... it is either Billy Wagner or some guy from the Newark Bears pitching out there....... do we want to roll those dice? I think it depends on money.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The upper levels of Houston’s farm are so thick with upside pitching that I would be totally ok with Ryne Stanek being the only bullpen addition, so long as Click adequately addressed the outfield, rotation, and backup catcher.

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Adding a closer is a must. Astros pitching staff will be set. No reason too add a starter, other than Bauer no one is a clear upgrade of anyone in the rotation. Plus keeping that window open for the developing top arms in the farm.

1. Grienke
    2. Valdez
    3. McCullers
    4. Urquidy
    5. Javier
    6. Hand or Rosenthal
    7. Pressly
    8. J. Smith
    9. Paredes
    10. Stanek
    11. Taylor
    12. Raley
    13. Pruitt
    14. Abreu or Scrubb or C. Perez or J. James

OF is loaded with options if Springer is gone. Bradley Jr. is a must for CF. I’d prefer Brantley but there’s certainly 6-8 quality options for a corner OF’er. If I made any trade it would be for Wilson Contreras..but plenty of quality FA backup C’s for cheap.

11. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Benintendi for 1 of Abreu or Garcia plus 1 of Cionel Perez or Frances Martes would be a good deal for both sides.

raining threes and Htown Legend like this.
  13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This was from a couple of days ago. BOS looking for a pitcher and OF prospect. Could be a good buy low candidate and doesn't break the bank but this doesn't get me all excited although I would definitely be intrigued if Click decides to make a move like this. Benintendi still only 26.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Benintendi had a terrible 2020.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He wasn’t great in 2019 either. But he was injured in 2020 and it was a small sample. His k rate jumped in 2019 and that combined with defensive metrics was most responsible for his decline from 2017-2018, and despite that he was still worth 2.0 fWAR. Projections still like him to be a solid everyday OF, and the upside is there for him to be a star. Especially if Click plans to get a good defender in the other corner, if they think Benintendi can handle CF then his upside is extremely high.

raining threes likes this.
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It was 14 games without spring training.

Hardly worth giving much consideration to.

kaleidosky and raining threes like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Benintendi, Profar, Castro, Colome, Jon Gray, offseason done:

3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    CF Benintendi
    1B Gurriel
    LF Profar
    C Maldonado
    Bench: Castro, Diaz, Straw, Toro
    Rotation: Greinke, Gray, Valdez, McCullers, Urquidy
    Bullpen: Stanek, Raley, Smith, Taylor, Paredes, Javier, Colome, Pressly
    DL: Verlander, James, Pruitt

Nook likes this.
  18. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I didn't realize it was that few of games. I just remember having him on my fantasy team and blowing.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The clock is ticking for the Astros to make substantial moves

Since December, the Astros have only made three transactions according to Spotrac:

At least for now, there’s hope for Houston. Except for guys such as LHP Mike Minor (now with the Royals), C James McCann (now a member of the Mets), RHP Blake Treinen (re-signed with the Dodgers), or Liam Hendricks (White Sox) the biggest names of this free-agent class have remained almost intact.

Not worried yet, but I sure hope waiting on Springer doesn't result in losing out on some guys. Part of it for me is I am just anxious to see what Houston will do.

ryan_98 likes this.
  20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I absolutely don't trust Rosenthal's health. The mechanics guys have been predicting injury for years, and supposedly nothing changed when he returned. Could get lucky and I'd be ok with a year-to-year deal, but I wouldn't want to count on him as more than 7th inning in the season plan because of that risk.

Nook likes this.