1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon no longer hosts Parler

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 9, 2021.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I someday want to be as passionate about something as @heypartner is about hosting apps that want to destroy democracy.

Andre0087, Lar, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I someday want life to return to normal, so I'm not so bored in isolation that I have nothing better to do on a Sunday than read or get my geek on, in the D&D, and I'm kinda tired of reading this weekend.

:(

I did get to shovel snow this morning, though ... woohoo

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

snow in rado or tejas ?

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would be willing to bet they using more than ever. RDS at the minimum. Probably ELB and Autoscale.

5. heypartner

sure, but how does that tie them to Amazon? I was assuming all that in previous posts. Yes, I'm sure they rely on load scaleability for code and data, but you don't typically have to code for that in such a way you're dependent on the host company. it just happens.

that's the Host's selling point. It just happens

#105 heypartner, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

All I've learned is that heypartner is a sideloader.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How does this impact people's view of Bezos?

@tinman

8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

It's even better. Parler being taken out by Amazon left it exposed. People made profiles and were granted admin access, who gave them the ability to pull up deleted posts. Everything was archived before it was pulled down. There's already threads showcasing deleted messages from the time of the riot and death threats.Then, it was discovered that Parler didn't scrape EXIF metadata so every post and photo has time stamps and geological locations. Lol.

#108 nickb492, Jan 11, 2021
  9. heypartner

fwiw: I guess Parler took advantage of Gab being banned to get its initial run of growth.
    This is the app/website that the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter posted on.
    It preceded Parler, and was long ago banned by Apple and Google

Minds is another alt-tech competitor of Parler.
    It's still available on Apple/Google, so I assume better moderation.

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Parler is a national security disaster in the making. If they run off to some Russian or Chinese host in order to survive, they'll basically expose the craziest people in America straight to the Russian or Chinese government. Parler even collects drivers license information and webcam photos. The amount of information housed on that thing is terrifying and you know one of those governments will bail out the Parler ownership (with hosting services and probably large amounts of money).

joshuaao likes this.
  11. biina

biina Member

Without knowing the details of the setup, you cannot judge the ease/difficulty of migrating to another hosting platform.

At one end,would be if parler only used EC2 and similar generic resources, with which the difficultyof migration would be more related to the volume of data and ability to replicate the resources. On the other hand, if they have used a lot of AWS proprietary/managed services (like RDS/Aurora for DB) the difficulty of migration is much more significant.

If they cant easily replicate their previous architecture, then the risk of data corruption goes up.

Invisible Fan and No Worries like this.
  12. heypartner

@txtony Here's an example of the above.

The Gab App was long ago banned by Apple and Google, bc of hate speech (made famous by the Pittsburg synagogue shooter posting there). They made a Mobile Responsive UX wrapper. It is what Parler will likely do, if they don't start educating their users on installing via "trusting" the app.

@durvasa Here's Gab's directions for "installing it," which is just making a shortcut for it on your phone's homepage.

Get the Gab app for iOS:
    1. Launch “Safari” app
    2. Search for and open Gab.com
      [EDIT] The site is getting slammed by new traffic right now, so might not come up
    3. Tap the share icon (the button at the center of the footer on the bottom) scroll and tap "Add to Homescreen."
    4. You'll be able to enter a name for the shortcut and then Safari will add the Gab app to your home screen.
    5. Open the Gab app from your home screen.

Amiga and durvasa like this.
  13. biina

biina Member

You dont need parler for that. Too many stupid people leave their personal information in plain sight in the public domain

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As an aside, this is why store App are considered safer than the wide-open web. Of course, it can also have much nicer and better UX.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I understand that but Parler is an efficient way of both harvesting that data and propogating foreign propoganda. And unlike Twitter, its being moderated by people who are entirely unaccountable.

I cant understate how terrifying this is. Once this gets in the hands of foreign adversaries, this will become catastrophic.

16. heypartner

That is the reason I made the post -- addressing assumptions that it's very difficult. I'm providing the alternate assumption for balance.

I appreciate your input, because we are both saying not to assume one way or another. no?

@calcium suggests maybe a couple of weeks. I wouldn't bet against that, but I wouldn't be suprised (assuming quality DevOps and developers) that it could be up faster than we expect ... at least, once they find a managed services provider.

Managed services of a DB doesn't rob me of the ability to export and provision under a different managed service who makes a business out of providing the architecture for seamless growth.

I really can't assume this is a week-long task for a twitter-like app. What's your experience with horrible migrations?

i think this is a bigger concern with highly transactional, event-driven, business-critical applications requiring a lot of synchronous operations, e.g. if I were an big ecommerce site.

I'm assuming a twitter app (which is almost entirely asynchronous,,,'er, should be) is not at risk of data corruption as much by changing managed services hosts.

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

Seems like speculation, but the CEO says "they'll be unavailable for a week as we rebuild from scratch" they say they aren't reliant on AWS proprietary infrastructure and building bare metal products. Whatever that means.

No Worries likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hey Verne...this circle jerk I herd about on Parlor...way better than I thought it be!

I kinda liek it!
    Pure speculation

Doing it while the train has left the station is way different than planning which tracks to use. 2/3 week is very generous, and I bet it's on top of finding a new hosting provider that'll welcome their baggage.

I'd be surprised if they're up and running in 30 days since they're shady with their moderation, likely cut costs, and bootstrapped the **** out of everything.

#120 Invisible Fan, Jan 11, 2021