1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon no longer hosts Parler

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TikTok

TimDuncanDonaut and No Worries like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

can you imagine if Trump just starts posting tik Tok dance videos for his last 10 days in office?

joshuaao, Ubiquitin and No Worries like this.
  3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That would be nice actually .... Y M C A

Two Sandwiches and No Worries like this.
  4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is there a clear line in the sand here, or should we be concerned about slippery slope?

Roc Paint likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

omg, the dude incited a mob to go storm the Capitol and commit an act of terror against this nation, and we’re talking about slippery slopes or lines being drawn...

he did not get banned because of some unpopular opinion or unsavory comments...he is the leader of the country inciting his deranged mob to commit violence, and they have shown that they will

5 people died. They were targeting officials. Let’s understand the magnitude of what happened.

he shouldn’t be on any forms of social media, period

Jayzers_100, jelanit, Lar and 7 others like this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We should not.

Social Media let everything Trump did go. That SM made an exception for inciting insurrection should not be worrisome. It is the exception that makes the rule.

Lar likes this.
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I regret to inform the tweeter: If you come into a diner with your shirt off, yelling obscenities, turning over tables, and throwing glassware around, injuring patrons, you may well get barred from several nearby restaurants. And yes, gasp, it could happen all at once.

I doubt that will happen to anything I care about, because I don't choose to support people who act like that. There are already left-wing activists who've had their accounts suspended, and they deserved it. There have been left-wing posters on this very site permabanned, and yet, here I still am enjoying the site. Rules matter. Civil society matters.

Jayzers_100, Lar, Kim and 6 others like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That a few very powerful decision makers have the ability to effectively remove a group’s presence on the Internet should be a cause for concern, apart from the question of whether Trump deserves to be heard or not.

As our lives are increasingly lived in a digital world that is owned by private power, the protected rights that we have in the public sphere would seemingly become less and less important relative to the lack of rights that we have online.

ROXRAN likes this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What does Brexit have to do with this?

Rashmon and Ubiquitin like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Once again....

The President has operated for years and years without social media. We should enact law to keep them off of social media.

At any given moment, if the President wants to speak to the people, he can go in front of a camera. It's worked this way for years...

I get the point, but this should not be an issue.

Jayzers_100 and Kim like this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

6*

B-Bob and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. lpbman

lpbman Member

Concerning sure... watching these powerful companies flex in unison is scary. I find facebook and their radicalizing algorithms to be a menace to the fabric of society... watching them escape any real punishment from the Cambridge Analytica scandal is fing infuriating, so watching them ban 45 hardly registers. I'm not sure what the alternative is at this very moment. Allow the continued incitement of violence on your platform? Obviously not.

But it should put everyone on notice that one can be silenced and perhaps next time the reasoning is less solid, and makes a case for a forced breakup of these tech giants and media mega conglomerates alike.

Kim and durvasa like this.
  14. biina

biina Member

If you dont like it, feel free to host your own platform!

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When Ted Cruz makes his move, watch out.

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld and KingCheetah like this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hear that, to some degree. The flexing in unison was a bit shocking to me as well. Since so much commerce happens online, I would be insincere to simply say, "well you can always photocopy a newsletter and mail it out via USPS."

But if anyone acts in a way that severely threatens these companies' liability calculations or business models, I don't see how you turn that off. Naively, I wonder if the argument has to become public versus private internet. I shudder to think of a government-run social media platform, LOL, but one could try that, complete with traffic cops and parking tickets, etc. It would end up being a not-small branch of government, and conservatives would still hate it if they couldn't post memes of hanging opponents, etc.

Kim, nacho bidness, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  17. CCorn

CCorn Member

If a Democrat president tries to get his followers to kill members of Congress, I will not be upset if private companies ban him from their platform.

Kim, nacho bidness and KingCheetah like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

coachbadlee, Kim and Ubiquitin like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They are different companies that share something similar - incitement of violence crosses the line.

There are powerful check on these companies as a group - the government, the users. If they ever crosses a line that is unacceptable to either or worse, both, I’m sure they will see consequences that they would not like.

Kim likes this.