1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legal Question If Trump Pardons People who Invaded the Capitol

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Does Trump have anyone left in his administration that knows how to write a pardon?

2. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...including himself and his immediate family?
    ...(the genetic family and the FAMILY family?)...

...I'm gonna guess "no"...;)

seemoreroyals likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trump administration writes blanket Parlers to all Stop The Steal Patriots

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Lol. But your answer was completely made up and uninformed. Or maybe it was informed by someone else who didn't know what they were talking about. That's why I was surprised. Never heard that take before and was wondering if you pulled that out of your butt or someone else wrote that as credible information.

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The charge does not need to happen for a pardon.

Hakeemtheking, malakas and Lar like this.
  6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't think presidential speech can be held civilly liable. Watching football, but will back this up with more explanation later.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Understood political speech has been protected but even there regarding incitement there has to be limits. Further while Trump is President there is a distinction when giving a campaign speech versus a speech regarding a state issue. Also members of Trump's campaign like DJTJ and Giuliani aren't the President.

malakas likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Fair enough and I'm glad you agree with what many of us have been saying for years.

Invisible Fan, Dubious and malakas like this.
  10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I was actually thinking about this earlier. Apparently DC has it's own legal codes, so it acts like a state.

It would have been a curious scenario, if only federal laws exist there, so Trump could pardon all and future crimes for his supporters and turn DC into a purge scenario. So at least I think we are safe from that.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/cases/immunity/osborn.htm
    If it's incitement to create a crime, then those are criminal liabilities. I think Trump is protected many ways here criminally and civilly. Giuliani is much less protected.

12. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

To say that Trump is “not politically savvy” is giving him a pass for the maniacal, morally bankrupt, narcissistic piece of **** that he is.

It suggests that he did things that were merely ill thought out, reflected poor judgment, or lack of political acumen. For those who want to feel better about their support for Trump, sure, they can be charitably characterized this way.

But let’s be clear. Trumps bulldozing of Democratic institutions, incitement of culture wars, indiscriminate campaign of lying and grifting... these were the intentional acts of a evil piece of crap who viewed (and still views) himself as a demigod that is above the law, politics or anything else. These were not mistakes in political judgement.

Lastly, yes, it is absolutely necessary to call out the soft peddling of trumps presidency because to do otherwise is to excuse Trump and his supporters actions in damaging the country.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sure, but it's hardly settled that a president can stage a failed coup and then let the coup people off. the DOJ can still arrest and prosecute - the defense will then move to dismiss based on pardon, and the US argue the entirely reasonable position that s president can't use pardons to induce crimes or try to stage an insurrection.

It will go to the Supreme Court. Despite that Clarence Thomas is a turd whose wife helped organize the assault, I don't see these pardons being upheld. Lincoln wasn't helping out his henchmen.

The other issue is that even Bill Barr of all people had asserted that corrupt pardons are obstruction of Justice. So, if that's true, that means Trump is committing hundreds of felonies to take the fall for a bunch of "low class" people, in his opinion. Odds on that?

#33 SamFisher, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Hakeemtheking, Reeko, ElPigto and 3 others like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That seems like grounds to charge him for sedition after he leaves. He pretty much owns their crimes like the jesus he is.

WWTFFD?

Git a rope

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

According to the link the Westfall Act protects from torts while performing official duties. Was Trump’s rally an official duty?

Also even if Trump himself is protected if this was done as a campaign event then wouldn’t the Trump campaign be liable?

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

maybe its a bit of both- Look, we are gonna disagree on whether Trump is the epitome of evil. I don't think he is but I also think he does reflect poor judgement, has a lack of foresight, political acumen and when feels attacked lashes out in irrational ways

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

You can say what you want, but this is soft peddling.

Do you deny that he has intentionally bulldozed democratic institutions, incited culture wars, and lied incessantly to aggrandize his power and enrich himself? I notice you didn’t bother to include that part of my statement when you quoted me for response.

Blatz likes this.
  18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

wow. you caved p*ssy.

Trump is one of the best Presidents easy. Up there with Lincoln and FDR.

ROXRAN likes this.
  19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

The republicans need a way to handle
    i can’t agree with how he handled 2020 tho lol

peleincubus likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I’m just messing around. He did well with the economy but to my feeble mind the economy was on a trajectory from 2009ish and on and any of the candidates would probably about had the same. Maybe not though. Otherwise Trump is a disgrace in my opinion.