1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you Silas - a real coach!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jan 5, 2021.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So far he hasn't got great results. The former shouldnt be determined on anything less than a full season.

napalm06 likes this.
  2. MrWise

MrWise Member

I’m not giving up on Silas but Van Gundy should’ve been the coach. Silas was only chosen to appease Westbrook and possibly Harden and Westbrook isn’t even here

3. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Firstly, I want to say that i like Silas and the Rockets struggle early in the season has very little to do with him.

BUT. Silas was clearly hired because he was the cheapest option out there. Its just Tilman being Tilman.

tycoonchip and D-rock like this.
  4. HardenVolumeOne

harden wanted ty lue. But Tillman’s pockets don’t run deep like Steve ballmers. It’s levels to this

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not giving up yet on Silas.

But it's not looking good.

He's really got to figure out the defense.

On offense, he just needs to use Harden and Wood like he used Luka-Porzingas.

vator and HP3 like this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

There’s definitely more reasons than that..

7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Harden didnt look like this he did have a couple of bad game sbut he didnt look like this.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

So lay em out there. I like him. I want to give him a chance but you made this post bash Dantoni thread so you gotta lay out your reasons.

Os Trigonum and D-rock like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

It's not even that bad man, he just wasnt aggressive scoring? He was really aggressive scoring and that tanked us last game so what do you want? It's not easy for people to find middle ground in the middle of adjustments.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Its catch 22.

Harden is on pace to iso almost 50% less than he did last season.

Harden is already the most hyper efficient player in NBA history. Let that sink in.

So fans are expecting Harden to be even MORE efficient on fewer iso's and being even less ball dominant.

Completely unrealistic expectation.

Os Trigonum, vator and HP3 like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

1. We wanted him in 2016 alongside Hollins, a finalist to be exact.

2. He’s learned from and been around great coaches and organisations, everyone raved him about him long before we got him.

3. He’s smart, calm and poised. I like that in a coach.

4. He ran the offense in Dallas, under one of the finest coaches we’ve had this century.

5. He’s young, hungry and has paid his dues.

6. He embraces diversity and a mix between tradition and new style, a mix of big and small, 3 pointers and twos.

7. He has shown to be a bright mind who actually speaks eloquently. McHale and MDA were more sarcastic, goofballs and trying to be funny. I prefer a more insightful and serious approach.

8. He has shown poise and fire on the sidelines, is engaged and actually values time-outs.

9. I believe in his ability to adapt, McHale and MDA were not going to to a large degree and they came out and said so.

10. Silas will actually play young guys wants to go deep into his bench, though results are a mix bag. He’s had games of effectively only 7-8 guys, but to his defense: who wants to see Caboclo, Thomas or whoever else has been available.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

1. Okay
    2. I mean...okay but its not looking so good now. And I woulndt call Steve Clifford a great coach either.
    3.. Dantoni was as well. He wasnt so poised last night when he had his head down but okay yea for the most part.
    4. Alright.
    5. Alright.
    6. And that hastn worked out.
    7. Dantoni is a offensive mastermind just because he wouldnt give you what you wanted in a presser, doesnt mean he was bad coaching.
    8. Okay...the time out thing is really lol
    9. His adaptability has so far got us nothing.
    10. We should be better than 2-4. Our offense is worse than last year and so is our defense.

So far my guy you like him for a bunch of personal reasons, none of which have proven him to be better than Dantoni, you are just hoping he is. You've just listed platitudes brother.

Os Trigonum, tycoonchip and Nook like this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He should be able to iso when needed but he's not even trying. I understand we are trying to change it up a bit. But part of that change is knowing when to iso and be agressive. It was supposed to be a mixture not stop even when other things arent working. The issue with MDA was our rebounding during small ball. we can rebound better harden still needs to be harden though.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

We are crappy rebounding with small ball and without small ball just like last year. Harden is isoing less like everyone wanted and he did a lot last game...so what do you guys want? I just dont get it. He cant put up 44 and 17 every game.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

When you say that you seem to assume me as someone who wanted Harden to iso less. No the ball should be in his hands. I never wanted harden to iso less. The issue was him having someone to pass to in the playoffs when he is doubled. Which is why I hated Westbrook and low BBIQ.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

None of the points you list make Silas better than D'Antoni, simply your preferred aesthetics.

But #10 was hilarious, love how you give Silas a pass for not utilizing more than 8 players while hypocritically attacking D'Antoni - LOL

You realize that MDA also had Caboclo last season? And Clemons. And Frazier. Even a still gimpy Luc.

Brodric is an actual upgrade to Luc, Clemons and Frazier.

And the season prior to that, MDA had a retired Nene on his roster who was literally not with the team. Also had a injured Gerald Green taking up a roster spot for most of the season.

It is laughable that injury and personnel challenges are valid excuses for one coach but not another.

HP3 likes this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Well that's the offense now, Harden isoing less....so i mean it is what it is. I just want to win.

Joe Rocket and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas came out last game and said players were iso'ing too much.

Cannot have it both ways.

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I do too but damn he needs to atleast have the ball in the 4th.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  20. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Well Silas is wrong, Harden should iso when needed especially in the 4th.

D-rock likes this.