1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Is James Harden Willing to Sacrifice?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, Jan 5, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He almost always does that thing where he sticks out his ass and slows down to try to draw a foul on a fastbreak.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

When is the last time we've had an offensive efficiency outside of the top 10??? Ill wait.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Anyone clamoring for mid range or post ups should also take into account that Silas doenst like them either. And he's right. Sheesh man.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Harden’s NBA Rank in Transition points per game over the years

15/16 : 2nd
    16/17 : 17th
    17/18 : 33rd
    18/19 : 13th
    19/20 : 3rd (Westbrook was 2nd, just ahead of Harden)
    20/21 : 10th

I think the first CP3 year he earned any gripes people had about getting out on the break and making something happen quickly. Not so much any of the other years. Though I believe the extreme pace slow down that year was a coaching decision.

No surprise the athletic freaks who can’t shoot, Westbrook and Giannis are damn near top 2 every year.

HP3 likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Harden is not going to conform - this is on him, then we have to let him go.

If he would conform - this team could contend.

Honestly, it is all on Harden, and how long the team will wait to see if he will change his game for the good of the team, if not, he has to go.

DD

6. riko

riko Member

10th is pretty damn good this season for a guy still not in basketball shape

7. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

I have faith because this is pretty much a new team, new coach, and new manager. From the dumpster fire inherited, Stone pulled off some moves that were pretty amazing, maybe risky earlier, but right now we actually have a better team that will have a much better chance competing in the end. Wood is likely going to be a star player, he is skilled and there is no reason to think he will not improve. I like his message and I believe him, his goal in life it to be a star and he knows he has to improve defensively and make others better around him by being a playmaker as well. Tate is an absolute steal, a missed diamond that was overlooked, he is a core piece and looks like ta glue guy already - he is showing a tenacity at defense and has that elusive nose for the ball, he gives full effort and wants to improve, and he has a willingness to cut and make plays (my god when have we seen that in a player?), Nwaba is important because I see him being a key defensive piece especially when we need to close a game out while leading. Cousins looks to be improving, slowly, but he is improving! He also still has his bag he can pull from and lets not forget he was an all-star player prior to injuries. What he has in terms of ability is not dependent on explosiveness and lift, and that is really important, he is simply a skilled big man with a 3 point shot that can score in the post or on a PNR. When have we had that last? Then we have Wall. He has not lost any explosive ability. The incredible part is he is actually faster, I mean physically the guy looks like he is fixed! Rust is expected, but he too was a star player prior to the nagging which later became serious injuries. I know fear of the unknown leads to anxiety, and that leads to doubt, but there is no reason right now to think we don't have a great set of players that can compete at a high degree. Harden will take time, but even in this last loss I see signs he is part of this team and wants to win, that is all that matters right now, today. Lets get tonights win, Pacers on the menu!

#47 Poonwalker, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought Silas said in preseason that the offense should also incorporate midrange shots. I'll see if I can find the quote.

Edit:
    You're right, though he does seem more open to it than MDA, situationally.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ense-more-options-familiar-goals-15823089.php

Those tendencies are in line with the Rockets’ offense in past seasons, but Silas said the Rockets are open to taking mid-range shots in some situations.

“We’re kind of staying away from the mid-range, although it is something we work on a little bit just because of when it counts the most,” Silas said. “Fourth quarter and you need a bucket, you might have to go to the mid-range and that’s something you worked on.

“In the playoffs and a team has scouted you and knows all your tendencies and plays and actions, you might have to get to a mid-range shot. When it’s most important to have that in our toolbox, that will be something we’ll be sure to have.”

gfab-babyboi, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

And that's fine, the analytics will support that as well. But anyone blaming the Rockets for not doing those things as a reason we had in a 13 point(and honestly it was probably more given garbage points really) loss is wrong in my opinion.

10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I find it interesting that you posted the entire article here in multiple posts when you can just click on it. There is no paywall.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Maybe they just don't want to give SI any clicks.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And it’s another prime example where most people’s belief of what they are seeing doesn’t match the reality.

I wouldn’t have begun to imagine Harden was top 3 in transition points per game last season or 10th so far this season. Just watching the games my guess would have been much lower down the list.

riko and HP3 like this.
  13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Harden just doesn't say anything to the media so it's all assumptions in that piece. "If Harden wants this..." "If it's true that..."

Must be frustrating to cover him LOL

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I mean, the answer is clear. He's willing to sacrifice this team.

15. HardenVolumeOne

he only took 3 shots in the first quarter tonight. hardens usage rate is at the bottom of the top 10 of the league, your boy luka leads the nba in usage even with a true pg like brunson on the team. So who's rea;lly statpadding and not willing to sacrifice

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm honestly at a loss for words how you've somehow taken what I posted to either a) be about Luka, or b) be about stat padding.

Please explain to me how in my few words I somehow insinuated that a)harden statpads and doesn't sacrifice, and b)luka doesn't statpad and does sacrifice.

Eagerly await your reply. It should be a doozy.

Luka living rent free in some poor soul's heads just like Harden lives rent free in opposition's heads. Comical.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

At this rate, it's gonna take more than a hot minute to grow out of these growing pains.

18. HardenVolumeOne

Sacrificed his numbers and had 12 assists. Still a rockets loss

let’s trade harden now. Trade him to the raptors. The raptors know how to deal with disgruntled players( kawhi, Lowry)

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They provide a **** return. You are a Rocket fan remember.

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I would rather called 5/14 is bricking instead of sacrifice.