1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

2. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Just like BoB’s amazing work with QBs

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Daboll would be a very good hire. But there will always be a cloud over this front office until Easterby is gone. Brady is the high ceiling guy but you are taking a big risk here. He interviewed for the South Carolina job a few weeks back and apparently it went horrible basically saying he hates recruiting. While obviously not an issue in the NFL, going to a college interview and saying that either means you didn't want the job and wasn't taking it seriously or simply didn't think it would be an issue. Not a great sign either way.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Daboll actually has NFL proof of working with QBs. Would much rather him than McDaniels

texans1095 likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Watson has already been developed. They need an offensive architect that can adjust to his strengths at this point.

itzIce and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That Buffalo offense was pretty good with a similar skill set QB

justtxyank likes this.
  7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'll give Caserio a chance. The best organization in football filed charges to prevent him from leaving so maybe he'll be a great hire. I'm not in a rush to judge him.

But it's certainly a disappointing decision on the surface as I would've liked a fresh perspective and approach. And if they double-down by hiring Josh McDaniels....... That would be incredibly uninspiring. But if they hire Eberflus, I'll be pretty intrigued.

8. gucci888

Easterby was invited into Robert Kraft's home for a Super Bowl celebration and straight up tampered with one of his top guys. No team is going to let that slide, especially Kraft who was allegedly already pissed at him. But Caserio on his own merits the hiring and like you said, the Pats were the gold standard in football.

Not sure if I posted this in in this thread but the hiring is completely overshadowed by the fact that Easterby is still around and not a single person, within or outside the organization, will believe Cal when he says Easterby did not influence the decision. We needed a complete culture change and it seems that we have completely doubled down on it. Not a good look.

csj, Rudyc281 and dookiester like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Saleh has risen to my first choice for HC, but its hard to think that the current GM and decision makers involved will even consider him. I expect nothing but Patriot Way castoffs and burnouts in another failed display of career nepotism that comes from the Belichek tree.

red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOL

An assistant expected to attract a lot of attention for NFL head coach openings is Buffalo offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, who has done a terrific job with the Bills’ offense and quarterback Josh Allen. Daboll spent 11 years with the Patriots, starting in 2000, Bill Belichick’s first season as their coach. Caserio arrived a year later.

New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is not a candidate to become the new head coach, according to three people close to the hiring process.

The Texans have notified Indianapolis and Tennessee they plan to interview Colts’ defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus and Titans’ offensive coordinator Arthur Smith after their seasons are finished.

The search committee headed by McNair interviewed Carolina offensive coordinator Joe Brady on Tuesday. The committee interviewed two former head coaches – Jim Caldwell (Indianapolis, Detroit) and Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati) – before their season ended.

So far, the Texans haven’t reached out to two candidates who are in demand – Kansas City offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy and San Francisco defensive coordinator Robert Saleh.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. gucci888

Pure conjecture but think Caserio will want to steer away from castoffs to make this seem like his own team. But we will never know how things will steer when Easterby is obviously behind the wheel.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Oh we all know you aren't one to "rush" to judge. You'd probably stay in a burning building until you felt the heat of the flames.

red5rocket likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats the optics. These guys can say whatever they want to calm down a fanbase, but their actions will dictate if this team is taken seriously. Right now its not - people are scratching their heads all over the place.

Hiring Saleh would be a good faith move, but I just cant believe it until I see it. Qualifications dont seem to be of over-riding importance to these owners.

My thoughts on Easterby? He is a liar and a con man and he doesnt deserve to enjoy the position he does within a professional football team.

[​IMG]

Hey Now! and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. Hey Now!

I do try to find the silver lining. Look...... 6 months ago, no one thought BOB/Easterby was breakable. Easterby broke it. There's a still a chance - I recognize much less with Caserio - that the new GM will jettison Easterby. Or! That Easterby will leave Caserio alone. I don't know. It's not a great look for the franchise or the owner & I wish they had gone in a different direction. I'm also waiting to see how they handle the coach. McDaniels would be deflating.

At the end of the day, all this outrage is a waste of time if Caserio is great and the team is good. I know Easterby is a lightning rod - and, man I read the article, so I feel the anger. But I don't really care about front office machinations. I only care about the product on the field.

16. Hey Now!

There's literally no sense to judge a hire within 24 hours. I don't know anything about any of these guys and neither do you. If the product on the field is good, I won't ever think or care about the front office.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

My biggest gripe is that McNair and Co think fans are stupid. All the BS about "Jack will not be involved in the hiring process" only for Cal and Jack to fly out TOGETHER and roll out the red carpet? Cmon man. Dont sell me a sht sandwich and tell me it tastes good. They dont do themselves any favors at all - fans and pundits will have this team under the microscope from day 1 - they will have scrutiny like no other because of the same lunacy of trying the same things over and over.

Easterby has attached himself to McNair like one of those parasites from the movie Puppet Masters and he now controls Cals way of thinking and his movements.

Cal will allow for YEARS of failure for this arrangement and the fans will suffer. You hire people who have no strings attached and I just feel like fans would allow the team to breathe and do its thing. Not like this though. They will be crucified and dissected every step of the way now.

Hey Now! likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

That a bit harsh. The Texans are beyond fortunate that fans such as Hey Now still exist - fans who have absolutely NOTHING left to go on but faith because the McNairs have done nothing to deserve any faith and trust from Houston fans. That so-called selection process was nothing more than a bullshit PR hoax designed to give the illusion of a competent search. They were dead set on hiring Easterby's "good friend" all along. Matt Bazirgan, Trent Kirchner, Omar Khan, Louis Riddick and Scott Cohen all were recommended by Korn Ferry, Caserio was not. Instead, Easterby AND Cal fly up on Cal's private jet to retrieve Caserio so that he could "interview" in Houston. Count me amongst those here who believed that this franchise desperately needed to make a clean break in order to start doing things the right way. Instead we are getting more of the same and in that sense, we are just like the Dallas Cowboys.

REEKO_HTOWN and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I guess I'm in the minority, but I'll beat the table by saying we should hire a defensive coach. Unless we go Brady, for a moonshot.

There are many coaches I'd be fine with, but give me a defensive guy as my top choice.

body slam and red5rocket like this.