1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Georgia senate runoff Jan. 5, vote vote vote

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by what, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Denying pre-existing conditions is a thing of the past. There are many who are going to disagree with me, however it is largely unpopular for any politician to allow the insurance companies to go unchecked.

Obamacare 2.0 needs to be a bipartisan solution. Cramming a healthcare bill through Congress will yield the same results as Obamacare.

Our country could provide some of the best health care in the world, but for that to happen, insurance companies need to be muzzled.

Phillyrocket, DVauthrin and jiggyfly like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

Y'all dont read very carefully. Yall keep bringing up lack of evidence when I repeatedly make the point of evidence vs standing.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

It is a bit like how I have a hunch that Trump conspired with the Russians in the 2016 election more than is publicly known right now. I don't have the evidence to convince people about it, so I don't argue about it anymore (unless a Trumper tries to go so far as to say it was disproven, which comes up sometimes). But it'd take a lot of work for me to surrender that hunch.

Obama was a bit slow out of the gate. I think partly from his inexperience, partly from his naive idealistic goal of cooperating across the political aisle. Biden is coming in with a ton of experience and his eyes wide open about how Republicans play the game now. So, I'm hoping he moves quickly on his agenda without wasting time. You're right that there will be some internal squabbles on how to move forward, but there is so much low-hanging deTrumpification fruit to be plucked, it should start off quickly.

jiggyfly, B-Bob and ElPigto like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Hope Ossoff can get to the .6 threshold so we can dispense with a stupid recount.

ElPigto likes this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Your position is that all 60 cases thrown out were for lack of standing? Seriously? Oh my god.

7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Probably in DC trying to “stop the steal.”

VooDooPope likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Biden better give her a medal of freedom immediately.

In fact, take Rush Limbaugh's away and give it to her in front of his face.

DVauthrin, Rashmon and mikol13 like this.
  9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Those Senate trackers need to go away. Politicians game those trackers nowadays. They count procedural votes as "voting with the president." Conversely, opposition politicians go out of their way to find way to cast oppositional votes as a way to get the score down. Also, Congress is filled with show votes that don't matter. Judge him on real legislation rather than imaginary trackers.

The reality is that Congress has passed virtually nothing in four years of note outside of some tax cuts (which Manchin didn't vote for), a bunch of failed attempts to repeal the ACA (which he didn't vote for), and smaller bills that really dont fit the standard partisan voting structure.

Manchin isn't running for re-election. Even he knows he can never win in West Virginia again. Coal country actually voted against him in 2018 and he barely won with a bizarre coalition. Manchin will be the last Democrat elected statewide in West Virginia for a generation. But Manchin has been consistent even when he was winning with 65% of the vote. Yes he has some differences with other Democrats but he's not a Republican. That's my point. However, you aren't going to have much of a major agenda with 50 votes and a filibuster.

I just think that Manchin is getting scapegoated when he is the reason why Democrats have 50 seats. He won the hardest Senate seat of 2018. I'm just a little annoyed by other members of Congress who complain about Manchin when none of them run in states that voted for Trump by 40 points. Manchin has been a relatively reliable vote overall. No he won't vote for a Green New Deal or Medicare for All. But neither would several other members of the Democratic caucus in the Senate. Manchin isn't Zell Miller or Ben Nelson. He's actually been far more of a team player than either of those two ever were.

So can a ton of other senators. This is what you get with a bare majority. And lots of Deep Red State Senators lost (Heitkamp, Donnelly, Nelson, McCaskill). The only Senator from a solidly red state that survived was Tester and Montana is the friendliest for Democrats among the five. I guess I really hate this argument because at the end of the day, Manchin is still your ally in creating change. He may not be a left wing progressive but he's a hell of a lot more liberal than any Republican. And now that he's done with re-election, he can actually vote with caucus on key issues.

jiggyfly and jchu14 like this.
  10. SuraGotMadHops

Actually, as Americans, we will all have to deal with it. You wanted it, you got it. Good luck to us all over the next few years.

I was at NRG when Schaub got hurt against the Rams and the crowd cheered, excited that TJ Yates was coming in. TJ then threw a pick 6 on his first pass attempt. "You wanted TJ you got TJ!"

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

It seems like the only way "bipartisan solutions" happen is from one party to control the entire government, enact something, and then for the opposing party to win the entire government back the next go-round, enact some of their own changes to the something that was passed prior.... and so on forever and ever.

FPTP has made it impossible to broker deals and work across the isle. It's winner take all and there is no middle. We have fix that or we're ****ed.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks DJT! #stopthevote

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I'll take a 62% approval rating for Obamacare as a "same result" any day, especially for a law that was conceived as a conservative alternative to a true national system in the 1990s and implemented by Mitt Romney in Massachusetts. Bipartisan overtures should be made to GOP colleagues but, if they adopt their pre-2015 "obstruct at all costs" posture and negotiate in bad faith, the majority should not be squandered. Warnock's seat is only good for two years and opportunity is fleeting.

DVauthrin, jiggyfly and B-Bob like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF does that mean?

So Corporate democrats are evil?

SMDH.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If a public option becomes available it will become defacto m4a.Medicaire gets the best prices due to their negotiating power.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

If we get a public option all the insurance companies are going to dump their least profitable patients onto it and it will run a massive deficit, which pubbies will use to argue "sOciAliZeD mEdIcInE" doesn't work.

ElPigto likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

That probably won't be possible.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  19. lpbman

lpbman Member

Disagree. First order of business should be statehood for DC and Puerto Rico. You've established a beachhead... dig in before you break out.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Polling said Biden should have won by 8%.He only won by 4% so that must mean republicans have done lots of fraud.

Take that for data.

No Worries and VooDooPope like this.