1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Georgia senate runoff Jan. 5, vote vote vote

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by what, Nov 13, 2020.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

The time for that passed when Pelosi was voted as speaker.

She won't bring it to the floor now because she doesn't have to.

Republicans will take the house back in 2022 and that will be that, the window for healthcare reform will be closed for another huge chunk of time.

2. Major

Major Member

Obama's first term - when Pelosi was most aggressive - was when those things had the best chance of passing into law with a 58-60 seat Senate majority. She pulled back once Dems lost seats in the Senate and even more so when they lost the Senate completely (and ultimately during Trump). It's the opposite of what you claim. She pushed climate change legislation, for example, when it was extremely unpopular nationally but theoretically doable in the Senate - to try to force their hand when they had the opportunity. She understands governing and she routinely pushes the envelope to the left as far as reasonably possible. What she doesn't do is just do things for theater's sake, which is what you seem to both want and complain about. If Pelosi is not liberal enough for you all, you're in a world of hurt - because the next Speaker will be far more moderate.

DVauthrin, Rashmon, jiggyfly and 3 others like this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is what will get done. After all, this is what Biden ran his platform on. It may be a hard sell to get him to accept M4A, especially when some moderate democrats in the Senate are also likely to be a huge roadblock for that. I do believe a public option is an acceptable alternative.

4. juicystream

juicystream Member

Loeffler was a terrible candidate that turned off a lot people with her extreme negative ads. There are also people that just wanted divided government and chose to split their ticket. Maybe some people felt Ossoff was too young.

Religion could also play a role with Warnock being a pastor while Ossoff is Jewish.

Nook, joshuaao and Surfguy like this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

COVID response should be the first thing.

6. No Worries

No Worries Member

Ossoff -- 2,211,603
    Warnock -- 2,230,231

The 18K difference out of 2230K votes is less than 0.1%

Kim likes this.
  7. Lar

Lar Member

8. SuraGotMadHops

No. I'm not going to cry foul anytime a Dem wins a seat or an office. I am guided by what I see and what I experience. I do think the general election was rife with fraud and was compromised, but the runoff...probably not.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

During Trump's first term too she offered deals to Trump that could've been passed. One was a $25 billion wall for DACA deal and she was willing to work with Trump regarding gun control.

10. juicystream

juicystream Member

Can't get 50 Democrats to agree on that, let alone 10 additional Republicans.

The biggest thing accomplished last night was the removal of the Mitch McConnell impediment of getting legislation to the floor of the Senate, and the ability to pass things through via budget reconciliation, but that won't be possible for Universal Healthcare. At best you'll see a public option become available.

In 2022 the Democrats have a huge opportunity to gain seats in the Senate, but almost no way they get to 60 and they could easily lose the House again.

Major, Nook and joshuaao like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have no idea why this made me laugh so hard.

But it did.

Props.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Even if after all the votes are in and we see that trump performed better than the senators in Georgia... you will still think it’s rigged?

That makes sense.

DVauthrin likes this.
  13. adoo

adoo Member

she's one of the biggest mistake made by Ga Gov Kemp.

when GA's Senator Isaakson retired,
    Against Trump's Wishes, Ga Gov. Appointed Kelly Loeffler,
    instead of Trumpeteer Doug Collins, To Fill Senate Seat

in the wake of Ga's emerging demographics, Kemp though that the supposedly moderate Loeffler would do better, particularly in suburbs, because of her supposedly moderate stance. she supposedly had previously donated to Mitt Romney / Stacy Abrams's campaigns​

joshuaao likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

We're forgetting to that Biden not Pelosi or Schumer will be the one steering the direction of issues. Biden has already said he's not for single payer or Medicare for All so even if Pelosi wanted it that's not likely going to pass.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

So :)does:) this :)mean :)I :)will:) get :)my :)$2000 :)Stimmy :)now?

DonnyMost likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

yes, but not exactly now

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

Two sides of the same coin. Although it appears that the Supreme Court won't strike down the entirety of Obamacare after questioning during Texas' recent suit, there are tens of millions of people who have lost employer-based health insurance as a result of the pandemic. If insurance companies were to ever again deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions, COVID-19 could prevent these folks from ever obtaining health insurance. The foolishness of relying solely on a privatized system has been laid bare by the pandemic.

An affordable public option combined with economic stimulus could help scores of people. They need to prevent the left wing of the party from crowing too much about single-payer healthcare and get a swift vote on a public option that moderates can support.

DVauthrin and CometsWin like this.
  18. Kim

Kim Member

Yeah, it will be hard to come up with conclusive meaningful multifactor analysis to explain this, especially when this isn't a very big phenomenon in the first place. But margins are so thin, I guess it shouldn't be overlooked either. 99% of Georgian voters voted either for both Republicans or both Democrats.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

Isn’t Georgia where “The Walking Dead” is filmed? A lot of dead people votes...folks!

I bet I could get that retweeted by Trump!

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

You're right. Pelosi doesn't hold symbolic or informative votes (which is actually a net negative, because it kneecaps the voters knowing where their representatives actually stand). But she is very much performative in how she behaves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Legislative theatrics to me means pretending to affect change or holding a position disingenuously, which I see her guilty of a lot.

It's indicative of the Democratic party at large. A lot of talk with very little action, and the action that comes is usually minimalist appeasement and not affirmative steps forward.

I'm aware the next speaker could (and likely will be) more moderate, which is why the Democrats are dog **** and I don't consider myself one. I'll lean on them when its useful until we can establish a system to navigate around the duopoly.

Major, Andre0087 and mtbrays like this.