1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Undefeated] The staying power of Christian Wood

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, Jan 6, 2021.

1. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You gotta like the kids fight

ak99999 likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream potential for sure

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just need more muscles

Rocket River

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

“I like playing with James and John,” Christian said.

Some say the Rockets could be biblically good this year.

#5 napalm06, Jan 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Nice article! The only complaint is that he wonders what life with Antepoopoo would of been like ... he needs to leave those childish thoughts behind him! Beard is 10x more talented than he is or ever will be!!!

hakeem94 and Ramo$e like this.
  7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

The title of this article is amazing. Anyways, Wood is going to be a good player for us but I do want to see him at the 4 with Cousins or an athletic rim protecting/rebounding 5 that can give us good minutes. Wood needs to play 32-24 minutes a night but you can tell it is taxing him mentally and physically which is expected. He didn't get a ton of run in the preseason and has not had a role like this consistently in the NBA. We are also trying to have him anchor our defense as an underweight 5.

It will take him some time to adapt to this new role especially on the defensive end. That is why we should look to trade House, etc. for a defensive big that can rebound. #1 target is Nerlens Noel as he had a solid season last year playing with Paul and SGA. Doesn't look as good this year since NYK don't have playmakers like OKC did last year. Can not be traded until 02/06/21.

Other targets are Hassan Whiteside. I know he is overrated but can't believe he is playing for the minimum this year? Can not be traded until 02/06/21.

Others: Andre Drummond ($28 mil expiring contract), Taj Gibson or Dewayne Dedmon (scrap heap). I am sure there are more than this so would like to see a list of realistic targets that could help this team at the 4 or 5.

I also like the idea that Nook has thrown out of getting someone like Harrison Barnes to play the 4 and can be solid defender next to Wood and has some versatility inside and outside. I still think House can play similar to Barnes if he can get rid of his knucklehead status which remains to be seen. Also, House is just not as reliable as Barnes but that is why House has such a great contract. If he can just find some consistency I am okay with keeping our "most likely to be traded" guys in House, Gordon and Tucker as long as we can upgrade/add depth to the backup 4/5 spot somehow without losing contributing assets/depth. Getting someone that can play well with Wood (giggity) will be hard but I think it will be critical to our season so we aren't relying on Wood's defense as much especially during crunch time and it will keep his legs fresh so he can stretch the floor effectively and continue to roll to the basket hard like he has been doing.

napalm06 likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

The staying power of Christian Wood

If it's more than 4 hours, call your doctor. And pray, of course.

ROCK3TM4N, Kevooooo, Reeko and 6 others like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I remember being in church when I was young and daydreaming of a photo of Kathy Ireland playing baseball. I couldn't get up for communion and other standing-up parts of mass and was forced to go to confession the following Saturday.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Important that we keep in mind this is Wood’s first time playing center 100% of the time. His entire career he’s been a PF, and didn’t have primary rim protection responsibilities.

Because of that, other parts of his game, like shooting, might suffer. He’s gone from being a sideshow to THE show. That’s tough.

He needs to embrace that the rim is his responsibility. He is a year or two behind Capela, but he has all the same potential on the defensive end.

ak99999, Deuce and jiggyfly like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually this explains a lot and it was not just because Detroit did not now what they had, the things Casey said where encouraging and the fact they did offer him substantial money makes me feel better.

I think he will always be a player you have to be careful with so that he does not check out but in the right situation and with the right guys around he will ok.

I will say this if you have been cut by that many teams and are that age why are you still showing up late and Missing things and this was after being cut by China, some people just have knucklehead tendencies but his talent is enough to forgive some things.

13. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Nice article. I personally believe Wood would be most effective playing PF as opposed to Center. His skill set (especially at PF position) is becoming the new mold with five-out pace-and-space, outside shooting, and he is already very good at pick-and-roll (and will get even better as the season continues). I also agree that an athletic defensive-minded Center would do wonders for Wood. Similar to what happened with PJ last season, playing post defense nightly (either undersized or underweight) as "Center" was very taxing on his body and affected him in other areas.

BigggReddd and ak99999 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if only he could hit an occasional 3 we would be golden

ak99999 likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Let's put the"Detroit did not want Wood" narrative to rest already.

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-staying-power-of-rockets-christian-wood/

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Actually if he would have stayed with Antepoopoo he would have buffed up by now. Giannis would have him in the gym.

BamBam likes this.
  17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

D-rock and coachbadlee like this.