1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: A Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Eh, we're probably just arguing semantics. Yes, I would says that's well off. However, I definitely wouldn't assume "rick kids" are living it up in Leesburg in their $600k, 2000 square foot houses with another house probably right on top of them.
    Good luck on your house hunt, by the way. I went through it 5 years ago in NOVA...hopefully never again. :)

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya, she probably understands the Streisand effect. She probably understands that defending herself in this situation is just going to make people like @Reeko confirm she's a abject racist creature. So she probably has accepted the fact that she is probably just going to get a community college degree. Let's hope this doesn't cause severe depression.

3. fchowd0311

What would make it terrible? Harrasement? Death threats? Proffesors giving her failing grades regardless of merit?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

LOL thanks! This is round 2. Forever home I hope!

So brutal out there... at least selling our old home will be easy :)

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

U keep trying to equate n***a and n***er. They are not the same. Black people do not say the n-word with a hard er.

6. fchowd0311

So the "er" flipped jef life upside down? The "er" is what gives you this absurd her righteous indignation?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

She will get into a good college I have no doubt about that , her life is not totally ruined but I do wonder about her mental well being hopefully she has a good support network.

The crazy thing is that she was a BLM supporter and the dude posted that clip after she had tweeted something out in support of BLM.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Groves should have known better than to record herself saying the N-word with the hard “er” and share it to her friend’s Snapchat account. That decision does have consequences, but losing her college acceptance three years after the fact with no other transgressions is an excessive punishment. Galligan is an ******* for waiting three years to share the video in an effort to inflict maximum punishment on her. Provided they had the means to find the timestamp on Groves’ Snapchat video, proving it was shared three years ago, the University of Tennessee overreacted by kicking her off the cheerleading squad and pressuring her to leave the university.

fchowd0311 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not trying to equate anything, this is not about semantics or a hard R its about intent and its obvious she had no malicious intent.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

It depends on if society forgives her. I don't think University of Tennessee is some liberal bastion. So that means a lot of other universities would probably deny admissions to her also as they don't want to be the school that gets publicly shamed for accepting the N word girl.

Ya stuff like this is a good way to lose allies to worthwhile causes. Like I'm pretty sure this ordeal has made her views on activism for Black Americans jaded.

11. DonnyMost

This is where the discussion falls apart. "Very well off" is subjective. Living in a 600K 2000 sq ft home in Leesburg would be quite "well off" compared to where I grew up as a kid. Is it "well off" compared to just about everyone around them at present? No, not at all.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This will be forgotten about in 6 months.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Here u go trolling me again. Stop assuming sh*t so you’ll stop looking like a dumbass. Just because I’m not out here shedding tears for her means I’m enjoying anything. Like I’ve said like 10 times already, there’s a reason why they warn u to watch what u post on social media. There’s a reason why high school counselors tell u to erase any bad content from your social media when applying to college. It’s not that hard to not post yourself saying n***er. It’s really not. If the best u can do is quote me talking about the death penalty and other nonsense, then move along, because reading it is starting to be a waste of time.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Harassment (God forbid worse). I don't imagine professors would do that (they can't legally), but I could imagine some of them complaining to the school's governing body and the deans.

I don't feel bad that she isn't going to the University of Tennessee. I feel bad that she can't have a normal social media life. I feel bad that there might be real threats to her.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Dude, you believe she deserves being forced to withdraw from school for a mistake she made at 15, three years after the fact.

You aren't merely not having any empathy here, you believe the punishment was warranted.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

She certainly shouldn't be the brunt of it but what you're advocating is that she is this white flower in a sea of black weeds and that she shouldn't be held accountable for her own behavior when in fact the rest of the community definitely isn't held accountable. What's draconian is being a brown or black kid in a school where racial slurs are hurled around you on a daily basis and nobody will do anything about it. That is why this came about, it wasn't some random thing. Read the story.

17. DonnyMost

If you've been following reeko's takes for a while the whole "pure good vs pure evil" narrative is pretty strong throughout, so this isn't exactly a surprise.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

Because I believe she shouldn't be kicked out of school and not portrayed by the national media as racist doesn't mean I'm making assumptions that she's a perfect angel.

I think the punishment far exceeds the "crime" here. It's that simple. I don't know her moral character. You don't either. But I do know that her action, singular, at 15 doesn't warrant the scrutiny and fallout she received now at 18.

19. fchowd0311

Then he has a simple brain I guess?

20. DonnyMost

This reminds me a lot of the Kyle Kashuv case.