1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

JAX is going to be a problem in the AFCS pretty soon. SMH.

Fulgore likes this.
  2. CrazyJoeDavola

This is one of your worst takes ever. EVER.

Seriously. You are trying to give BoB credit for NOT ****ing up 2022? WOW WOW WOW

The ONLY reason BoB didnt **** up 2022 is because he was FIRED before he had the chance too, which is highly likely why he was fired in the 1st place, so that he couldn't **** up any more of the franchise's future.

Seriously, does anyone have any doubt that if BoB had not been fired when he was, that he would have sold off of 2022 draft assets to try and salvage a .500 season and save his job? Or that be would have given out more undeserved long term extensions to mediocre talent? (sorry Zach Fulton, Tytus Howard, Carlos Watkins, etc.)

Like BoB's long term strategy was to **** up 2019, 2020 and 2020 but "Hey! 2022 is going to be THE year! I promise in 2022 I will not give away our draft picks, draft poorly, trade away top talent for pennies on the dollar, give out bad long term extensions, sign bad FAs, coach poorly, manage time poorly, get my GM fired, fight with the media, alienate our top players and continue to be an overall insufferable d******d and incompetent moron. AFC South champs again in 2022, Brian!"

The only person that gets any credit for not sacrificing 2022 is Cal McNair, who unfortunately deserves almost all the credit for allowing 2019, 2020 and 2021 to be ****ed up by bestowing so many powers in BoB that his ability to ruin the franchise not only became possible, but went completely unchecked due to that consolidation of power.

Seriously Mr. Scarface. Do better!

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

Be a lot quicker if we replaced martin with a good center

4. CrazyJoeDavola

Obviously, by this statement, Martin expects to be releaed or traded immediately. Awesome!

5. conquistador#11

It's weird for me to see this obsession of "oh no! we're out of cap space, relegate us please!" Forget that 4 out of the 5 gut wrenching losses, The Texans held the lead with 4 minutes or less. The 'defense' is the side of the ball that needs to be detonated.

Granted, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the new front office, expecting they know how to work around the cap.
    And Murray, Mercilus and Cobb are holding the team in ransom but that doesn't mean the new coach is forced to play them even 20% of the snaps.
    By Spring of 2022 you'll have your 1-3rd round draft picks.

The defense can't get worse by letting go of BMAC who hasn't taken a single snap since week 4.
    The Offense won't skip a beat with the departures of Martin and both Johnsons. The 4th rounder will be like a 3rd rounder. A talented back can be grabbed with that pick so and so on.

Don't know who this guy is but he formulated my thoughts with fancy table charts rather than my ramblings.
    Scroll down.
    https://overthecap.com/houston-texans-maneuvering-the-2021-salary-cap/

Maybe some changes I'd make for those that like gloom and doom roster building..trade Cooks to a team needing WR talent for their young qb. Dolphins/Chargers. Get the second rounder back and draft a WR that Deshaun can turn into 1,200 yard performer.
    Personally, I wouldn't do that to Deshaun but it would make way for another impact f/a pickup for the defense. I can be convinced to make the trade but I really like saying. "Them boys ain't going nowhere." Favorite quote of the season.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Get off your ****ing high horse. He could have screwed up 2022 by trading picks and contract structures.
    He didn’t, intentionally or not.

Take the diatribe somewhere else. Don’t need a recap of bad moves.

Go **** yourself.

7. conquistador#11

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Heart breaking

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The offense showed that it could stay on the field with practice squad guys and backups. Deshaun carved up plenty a good defense this year. If you pay all the attention to defense in shoring up that side of the ball exclusively and did nothing on offense this team would probably be an 8-8 team next year and with a little luck and magic could be back in playoff contention IMO. Will never win many games with the type of defense this team had the last few years.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Don’t want anything to do with this guy or the Patriots tree.

11. conquistador#11

We can all breathe a sigh of relief : .

Fulgore, Rudyc281 and mikol13 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It really is man, just makes me sad lol

13. SuraGotMadHops

I think anytime a GM and HC are the same person it is an inherent conflict of interest. You have to be a living legend like Bill Parcells to be qualified to do both - a person that has decades of experience as a HC, and independent experience in a front office. Houston was BOB's first head coaching job in the NFL, and he did not have the experience or track record to hold a GM position at the same time. That decision by Cal was a COLOSSAL screw up that may have set this franchise back for the entirety of Watson's current contract. This is a crucial offseason for the Texans, the most crucial in franchise history. They MUST get the GM and HC hires right if they have any hope of returning to contention in the next 4 years.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Removing Rick Smith and then Brian Gaine as voices who could disagree with OBrien was the beginning of the end.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm not sold on Trevor Laurence. Yeah he has good measurables but what has he done that's so impressive besides his first game against Alabama in the national championship? He got destroyed two years in a row, once to LSU and just recently to OSU, and he didn't look impressive in either of those games. Deshaun Watson two years in a row balled out on the biggest stage against Nick Saban's defense.

Fulgore likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Trevor Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck. 6'6 220 runs like the wind. Throws with anticipation at the college level and uses his eyes to ward off DBs like an NFL vet.

Like you said his freshman year was historic. Really hard to outdo that year and he's had a target on his back ever since, and even with all the noise and expectations he's been able to remain grounded and continue to be a leader for his team and give them a chance to be great.

Do you see Justin Fields as a better NFL QB?

Deshaun is special. Pretty obvious around here how much of a fan I am, and the homer in me would take him over Lawrence, but I would be remiss to say that I wouldn't love Lawrence' type of talent on a rookie deal while I fill out the roster.

I would be very surprised if Lawrence flames out.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I thought we already knew that Nick Caserio was going to end up being the general manager

#58 Roc Paint, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have no problem with Nick Caserio.

Roc Paint likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member