1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: A Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I never claimed you were a racist. I said you probably said something stupid as a kid where a lot of people would want you canceled if they ignored the context that you were merely a kid. He'll, some very irrational people will still want you canceled even though you were a kid.

And her being a racist is inconclusive. She sang a song with the N word in it. That's it. You can't draw a conclusion that she's racist from that. If you do, all the bad **** right wingers say about left wing "wokeness" has validity at least in your specific case. I tell right wingers I debate all the time that people like you don't exist in large numbers. Please don't make me wrong.

Nook likes this.
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so this will cause the dems lose?

3. fchowd0311

Your guildines are too draconian and reek of the sane high horse shtick that consecutive Evangelical Christians have.

You sound dogmatic in the sense that context doesn't matter and gradients don't exist. You are either racist and deserve your entire future being turned upside down or not a racist. There is no in-between.

Space Ghost and jiggyfly like this.
  4. fchowd0311

An exaggerated statement by the OP, but do you still have any sympathy for the girl here? I do. Is there something wrong with me?

Nook likes this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I don't care if she's racist but entitled rich kids who want to use racial slurs on camera because they think it's cool and edgy get to be racists too. It's unfortunate. Like there are a lot of poor kids who come from broken families who also have their lives altered by a single stupid act and a vindictive society that doesn't care. Maybe like all those kids her family should have raised her better. I don't think that stops Republicans from getting elected in 2020 or 2022 or 2024 or 2050.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So much for personal growth.

DVauthrin and Nook like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. likestohypeguy

Like Dr. Strange hand gestures & expression, except instead of spells for weapons & gateways, this guy is conjuring up cancellations.

jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

There are plenty of shades of grey. Not every thing in black and white just being racist doesn't mean you deserve to have your life turned upside down or ruined.

Sure context matters and I don't necessarily believe she deserved to be kicked out of school but that depends on the schools code of conduct.

But everything I posted still stands:

A. You're responsible for your actions and words
    B. Don't be a racist and/or do racist ****
    C. Assume everything is recorded

I taught my kids that from a young age and they somehow made it through HS without dropping Nbombs even in the context of song lyrics.

10. fchowd0311

I'm actually kind of surprised this many people are defending this. Just because poor kids get the **** end of the stick doesn't mean that kids of well off means should get the **** end of the stick. This isn't a ****ing zero sum game we are playing here.

You really can't tell much about how a person was raised by then singing along to a song that had the N word in it. Like I'm uncomfortable making those drastic leaps when those leaps in judgment can result in someone's life being turned upside down

I mean when you dive into the context, it's worse. The kid who "revealed" her, held on to the video for three years and because of a personal disagement, decided to **** up her future career opportunities.

Usually for me to make judgements of a person's character being racist or deserving public scorn a PATTERN of behavior must exist. She has no other incidents. We can't ruin someone's life because when they were 15 they once sang along to a song that had the N word in it.

Why are you so comfortable making these jumps in conclusions about the girl?

#30 fchowd0311, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    DVauthrin and Nook like this.
  11. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

Friendzone revenge?

peleincubus, jiggyfly and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. fchowd0311

Dude, you should probably express those sentiments about you thinking she didn't deserve it. Because your original comment made it seem like you agree with the school's decision and NYT decision to publish this trash news.

Your rhetoric is also portraying it as black and white.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Nah. Leesburg is like the boonies. Middle class at best.

14. fchowd0311

My parents never taught me to not sing along and say the N word when the song says it. Are they bad parents?

You are asking for the unreasonable. Someone isn't racist merely because they sang along to a song that has the n word in it. The rappers who made those songs shouldn't have profited off of it and explicitly said this song is only for black people's ears if you are so concerned with a non-black person singing along to a song with the N word in it. Why mass produce those songs in the first place because that tells me those rappers wanted the general audience regardless of color to listen to it.

There is no rational moral claim one can make solely by witnessing someone sing along to a song with the N word in it. If you can do easily make a moral claim of their character from it, that says more about your morality, than the individual you are critiquing in my opinion.

15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

What song is she singing to that has these lyrics?

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Cameras are everywhere????

17. KingCheetah

I don't know but she did hit that R a little too hard.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

What song is she singing along to? Fck are some of y’all talking about? Point me to the song that has those lyrics...

how about don’t record yourself using the n-word...I don’t feel sorry for her at all

#38 Reeko, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    RedRedemption and DVauthrin like this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The NYT story that I read was about the school rescinding its offer. It didn't cause them to rescind the offer. It seemed pretty fair to me. Maybe there's an earlier story there that I missed.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

LMAO, and what song was that? There was a song playing in the background, and the song wasn’t saying what she said. She wasn’t singing along to anything. Fck are u talking about? She thought it was cool to say the n-word like a lot of white kids...

RedRedemption and DVauthrin like this.