1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you Silas - a real coach!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jan 5, 2021.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

So refreshing to have a coach who understands the game enough to acknowledge what he didn’t like and that it will be rectified!

dcfma, tinman, majicdonjuan and 37 others like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He better recognize

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont know guys .. maybe the Milkhair "CLAP CLAP play harder" is the way to go??

/s

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Dantoni was a real coach .....Im sick of telling guys who have some stereotyped idea of what basketball should look like in their heads. The fact is, we've had a lot of success under Dantoni. And he knows way more about basketball than any of you.

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

James Harden thinking I'm hurt, I'm Fat, I don't want to run around, off ball.

I would rather play 1 on 5, Isolation.

Why is James Harden playing at all, He shouldn't play until his ankle is fine, then lose 20 lbs on the treadmill. Please hire a cook for him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Glad to hear it too - that was my read as well. We definitely reverted to iso style, lots of attempts to take knockout blows with long 3s once the game got close in the 4th. Dallas by contrast was patient and got far better looks at the end of the game than Houston. That the Mavs shot so well from deep is more a reflection of that patience as well as some clear communication lapses on Houston's part around their help rotation. Dallas got wayyy too many wide open 3s but I chalked that up to weird rotations of players at the end who had hardly played with each other before.

7. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Calm down Mike

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

On the Real REal real real real real?

I might have to unblock the OP if he's gonna post like this from now on. Is the Rocket haterade spell finally lifted OP?

HP3 likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I have liked most everything I have heard Silas quoted as saying. But bright ideas isn't enough. You got to get the guys to buy into and implement it on the court.

10. markiboy

markiboy Member

Give Silas some time. They just have a few practice with a complete lineup. I think they will be better as the season continues

Magicsaint, ashleyem, kjayp and 3 others like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, no offense to the OP (and I mean that), this is kind of a dumb thread. the "real coach" vs "not a real coach" distinction probably isn't very helpful at this point. Particularly in the context of complimenting a rookie head coach with five games under his belt. Why don't we give him a couple of seasons to see if he has any potential to survive long term in the league

FatSeagal, HP3 and Nook like this.
  12. don grahamleone

More than me? Sha, right.

[​IMG]

13. Nook

Nook Member

Let me know when Silas figures out what his team is good at ........... because right now, other than going to the line they are a mediocre to worse team on both sides of the ball.

Silas deserves time but so far there hasn't been any magic to speak of......... the Rockets are playing like a 500% team.

14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

we reverted to iso because our sets didn't generate open looks frequently enough. Part of that is growing pains / lack of practice and preseason. But part of that was a lack of dynamic players actively yesterday, players who can both shoot and attack off the dribble when defenses aggressively close out. I hope BMac can find a way into the rotation and Demarcus can keep his cool, because they (and House) will help in this regard moving forward.

I'm a bit concerned with the dynamic when Harden and Wall are on the court together. Feels a bit like the first few months of Westbrook and Harden, where Harden doesn't have a lot of space to operate in iso and the PG isn't comfortable as a secondary playmaker. Wall at least is a respectable spot up shooter. And maybe Silas throws a wrinkle into the offense and puts Wall on the low block against smaller guards to get him into rhythm when the offense is bogged down.

Not easy problems to solve, but Silas seems to be a gifted enough offensive mind to be up for the task

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he maybe was but his knowledge could be applied only to the degree harden was willing to be coached

btw do you believe dantonis take on timeouts? ie that they do nothing and the numbers show they dont stop runs and change momentum?!

tinman, roslolian, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  16. don grahamleone

Otherwise this team is gonna end up in Boise.

17. don grahamleone

I think it's as easy as submitting to the coach's game plan really. Stopping the big headed nonsense is all that's needed.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Dantoni has a philosophy more so than a system. That's fine - but he had a ceiling we had clearly hit for how far that philosophy would take him and the fact is he rarely made in game adjustments. We don't have to know more than D'Antoni about basketball to know that there was a pattern of results that followed him with every team he coached. His philosophy saw fantastic in season success, but pretty mediocre playoff results and more importantly a pattern of stubbornly doing the same things over and over and over again expecting different results until the Rockets were finally knocked out against better, more dynamic coaches. But you don't have to take my word for it - there is a reason D'Antoni wasn't offered a head coaching job this past offseason and that reason is something guys who know more about basketball than you and I do all seemed to agree on.

fattz, kjayp and roslolian like this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

Is there any evidence for this?

I mean Dantoni was basing that on studies, idk...how has the timeouts under Silas been working out for us so far haha?

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

He would have been offered the Philly job had Doc not have gotten fired. I really dont know what you guys are talking about in terms of him being "out coached" except for last year where we had Westbrook....and then Im sure Mike was like "no matter what i do this dude will tank our chances so Im done." I liked the Silas interview yesterday but Im really sick of Dantoni slander even after the man has left. There is some rewriting of history here and fundamental misunderstanding of why his teams lost.

ElPigto likes this.