1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cancel Culture: A Vindictive Teen Destroy a Classmate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jan 5, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Now this will be the reason Dems lose in 20/22 or 20/24, to many signing on to crap like this, he deserves a smack.

https://reason.com/2020/12/28/new-york-times-racial-slur-teen-jimmy-galligan-mimi-groves/

Jimmy Galligan is an 18-year-old college freshman from Leesburg, Virginia. He may also be cancel culture's Count of Monte Cristo.

Some months ago, Galligan—who is biracial—posted a years' old, three-second video of a white, female classmate using a racial slur. Galligan had sat on the video for a long time, waiting for the moment it would do the most damage. After the girl—a cheerleader named Mimi Groves—was accepted to the University of Tennessee, the time had come.

"I wanted to get her where she would understand the severity of that word," said Galligan.

The video depicted Groves, who was 15 at the time, and had just obtained her learner's permit, saying "I can drive, [slur]." The remark was not directed at anyone in particular. The brief video clip featuring it circulated on Snapchat until it was obtained and saved by Galligan, who had grown furious at how often he heard his white classmates using the N-word.

Galligan shared it publicly in June. In response, Groves lost her spot on UT's cheerleading squad. Then the university pressured her to withdraw from the school entirely. The admissions office had apparently received hundreds of messages from irate alumni demanding blood. Groves is now attending a community college.

Invisible Fan and Andre0087 like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The guy who shared that is insufferable -- I saw this a while ago and he is pure cringe looking for attention. It's so bad I'm expecting some backlash on him at some point and her to receive at least some chill on the cancel faux outrage.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is the actual video of the female.

FrontRunner likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How about we cancel this Jimmy Galligan kid?

This is one of the few "cancel culture outrage" stories that is actually outrageous. Poor girl. I hope she has a way to file defamation lawsuits towards that guy, NYT and the school.

DVauthrin, edwardc and jiggyfly like this.
  6. fchowd0311

NYT is the most responsible here. They are the room full of adults. Galligan is just a vindictive irresponsible 18 year old.

NYT should issue an apology and write and editorial saying that the girl deserves her spot back in school and the cheerleading squad.

DVauthrin, edwardc and jiggyfly like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-high-school-classmate-using-racial-slur.html

In the six months since Galligan posted the video online, Groves has enrolled in online classes at a local community college while Galligan is now a freshman at California’s Vanguard University.

‘I’ve learned how quickly social media can take something they know very little about, twist the truth and potentially ruin somebody’s life,’ Groves said.

Groves and Galligan were reportedly once friendly in high school but have never spoken about the incident directly.

One of her friends, who is black, said Groves apologized for the video long before in went viral last summer.

The friend, who wasn’t named, said she also defended Groves online, which led to her receiving critical messages from strangers online.

‘We’re supposed to educate people,’ she wrote in a post to Snapchat, according to the Times, ‘not ruin their lives because you want to feel a sense of empowerment.’

Groves, meanwhile, insists he has no regrets.

‘If I never posted that video, nothing would have ever happened,’ he said, adding the clip will always be available to watch online.

‘I’m going to remind myself, you started something,’ he said according to the Times. ‘You taught someone a lesson.’

Man I hope somebody sits this dude down because he is gonna have a hard long life with his entitlement issues.

I really blame U of T for overreacting as well, how the hell do you kick somebody out of school for this.

Man I hope somebody of real consequence comes out on her behalf this just empowers assholes to continue to do stuff like this.

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

A. You're responsible for your actions and words
    B. Don't be a racist and/or do racist ****
    C. Assume everything is recorded

DVauthrin and edwardc like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

10. fchowd0311

Dude a 15 year old who says the N word because she's singing the lyrics of a song where that N word wasn't directed at someone is not grounds for her entire future to be turned upside down. That's absurd.

I bet my left nut that you said something stupid enough between the ages of 10-15 where a large contingent of people would want to cancel you for it.

11. fchowd0311

The kid on the right seems like someone who has a very over inflated value of himself.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So just using the that word is racist?

So all rap songs are racist?

So you should be kicked out of school because of using a word as a 15 year old?

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Racist teenagers recording themselves and facing the consequences will be the reason Dems lose in 2020 or 2022 or 2024 or 2026 or 2028 or 2050.

peleincubus likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

For something done at age 15, one would assume that a sincere apology would suffice to diffuse the situation, at least partially. Is there more to the story?

15. fchowd0311

How do you know she's racist? She sang a song that had the N word in it and said it out loud... when she was 15. The worst thing that should be done to her was someone setting her aside and explaining how that can be offensive even when not directed at someone. That's it.

You seriously believe that deserves her future to turn upside down? Like being expelled from a university has so much damaging effects for future career employment. She was ****ing 15 dude. Have some empathy here.

DCkid and Deckard like this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Leesburg lol. Rich kids.

17. fchowd0311

What happened was she recorded herself at 15. Someone who was her friend had the recoding of it and held it for three years and after probably getting into a argument with her used that video to ruin her 3 years after the fact that it happened which tells me the kid who released the video didn't do it out of principle because if he did, he would have been outraged immediately and immediately been public about it. It tells me he did this out of vindiction. And the NYT editorial board rewarded the kid for his revenge fantasy and now that kid sees himself as a some hero activist.

#17 fchowd0311, Jan 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    DVauthrin, DCkid and Tomstro like this.
  18. likestohypeguy

There should be a statute of limitations, or maybe a juvenile offenders cancel program, with somewhat reduced sentences.

Ofc she can't be a cheerleader anymore, but let her still go to school. I mean she already has to suffer the self-inflicted punishment of being the n-word girl.

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yes
    Blacks using the word is different than white people using the word. Sorry
    Never said that but everything I posted in my original post still stands.

A. You're responsible for your actions and words
    B. Don't be a racist and/or do racist ****
    C. Assume everything is recorded

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I've never been a racist. I defended my sister against my Father's abuse because he was a racist and she had a black boyfriend.

You would have lost your left nut.