1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY post] Tilman not good at business

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jan 4, 2021.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...Covid exacerbated the problem of financial solvency but I'm sure there was some discussion on the Silver/NBA level about having superfan owners being good for the league overall. I would imagine the league would prefer more Balmers and Cubans than faceless ownership groups purchasing a business asset.

There is probably a fear that franchises managed as assets represent a threat to the league standing because the larger value is in the quality of the league, not the microcosm of what happens on the team level. You can't have a bunch of teams all of a sudden cut payroll at once because the stock market is down and it makes wise financial sense to keep your books in order. Basically the business model is "the league" - not the team. You want competition on the franchise level which in turn drives ratings to the league on the whole which nets greater profit sharing.

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Well in theory and black and white world that’s all fine, but in case of a super fan like Tilman vs Mutombo group I know which one would’ve made more sound decisions and where basketball minds roam. And it’s not in Fertitties family..

3. macan

macan Member

Houston Rockets was worth around 2 billions and this Tilman dude has 4 billions in debt..
    future of Rockets team ain't too bright...

4. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

It sucks to have an owner without money.

5. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Interestingly enough this wasn’t the first time he engaged in debt restructuring to make a major purchase. In those articles they describe another instance of that to either buy Landry’s, perform a stock but back or to purchase the golden nugget (can’t remember the exact reasoning for it off the top of my head now). I do agree with you that he seems to have a lifelong passion as a fan of the rox. Whether that holds true when he’s in charge of the books remains to be seen.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Can't argue with you there - but what about the Beyonce bid?
    Another interesting wrinkle I read about recently was that Fertitta was about to be turned away and Rafeal Stone was one of the lawyers who helped him restructure the franchise purchase to make it go through - as in our current GM.

HP3 and fattz like this.
  7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

That sounds interesting. Do you mind sending me an article. If true it lends credence to stone being a yes man?

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

He’s a Billionaire on paper but if when you look closely at how highly leveraged everything is and how likely overstated his assets are then you realize he’s broke AF.

mikol13 likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

BallaDoc likes this.
  10. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Hopefully he'll be forced to sell soon to someone with some money who isn't afraid to spend to win... Just hope we don't lose every positive player/asset before that happens.

fattz likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

"When we buy somebody, we cut the head off," he says. "We keep the operators who are looking—I hate to use this term—they're looking for a leader. We lead very well. And we immediately spend money on them and make them better. Everybody wants to be led.

"Except for me," he adds. "I want to lead." …

HP3, GradyMcTracy, NIKEstrad and 2 others like this.
  12. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I pray someone from the area buys the team...I have nightmares of someone coming from somewhere else and moving the team, not likely since Houston is a big market but you never know.

Patience likes this.
  13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I am curious if Leslie Alexander is going to be the Owner again.

At least something will happen in Ownership.

I hope Jim Crane buys the Rockets.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Crane couldnt afford it on his own and his firing of the skipper and GM during the cheating scandal didnt do it for me.

Richard Kinder is the wealthiest Houstonian with a net worth of around 7.5 - 8 BILLION, but if he liked sports he would have bought a team by now.

kdchilds, BallaDoc and rockets1995 like this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Toyota Center is under contract, tied up with the Rockets.

Houston is a better market than other cities.

BallaDoc likes this.
  16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Someone with deep pockets, any of the myriad of prospective owners from Seattle, can merely pay the penalty and move the team to Seattle. Tillman is what we have right now .. until Elon Musk buys the team and plasters our logo on every SpaceX launch.

GradyMcTracy and glimmertwins like this.
  17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Is there any other NBA owner in a similar financial situation to Fertitta?

18. jakejohnson5445

I wish I was as “broke” and as “bad at business” as Tilman.

fattz likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The same Elon who just moved to Austin? Not a bad theory.

Krizzle and steddinotayto like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The closest is probably Jordan and the Hornets though MJ sold a 20% stake in the team in 2019 so yea..I don't think you're going to find an NBA owner around the same net worth as Tilman who actually owns 100% of his team.

dc rock likes this.