1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY post] Tilman not good at business

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

When I give a fck about what some irrelevant rando poster thinks I’ll let u know.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tillman is fine at business when there is no pandemic - but all of his businesses require an open borders situation where people are free to come in and eat, or gamble without risk.

DD

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Trump might have Tilman in mind when he harped for $2000. :D

4. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

You constantly post about how amazing he is. I get it but I really don’t get it.

You managed to make it about him here?

Ugh.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

6. MystikArkitect

Tillman a slightly better version of that dude that tried to buy the hockey team pretending he was a millionaire.

7. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Who is the magic Johnson of Houston? It feels like Magic is involved in half the deals in California.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You might like this as well, which references a few different TX Monthly articles: https://www.truehoop.com/p/fertitta-family-history

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Was it this guy? Or the Hilton Furniture guy?

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

His family is old school Texas mob. That tells you everything you need to know about how he came to prominence and why he is in the specific industries he is in.

Der Rabbi likes this.
  11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

MadMax and Amel like this.
  12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The donations are just a tax write off mean to lessen his tax burden. Few wealthy people donate large sums of money out of the kindness of their own heart - it's financially advantageous for them to donate that money at the end of the year. I'm sure Fertitta is no exception.

onreego likes this.
  13. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

What a crazy article. Really insightful read. Everyone should go through this timeline of the Fertitta-Maceo family.

mikol13 and steddinotayto like this.
  14. Boston84

Boston84 Member

thats the hardest part to me though if I’m harden. The elephant in the room being will tillman spend this season? next season? if his business gets bad will he pinch pennys then? Later this year? It’s just always like waiting for the other shoe to drop. You never know what he’s going to do. I think harden wants consistency more than anything.

knowing he’s gonna ball every night on the court and in return an owner whose going to continually put together or spend for a winner. Give back to James what he gives the team every night. if the rockets were clearly looking like a real contender who can beat the lakers then James probably says well listen we look really really good so I need this to play out for now but there’s always those question marks surrounding ownership.

Getting older he needs an organization to 100% be committed to being a champion on the court not the balance sheet.

BallaDoc likes this.
  15. onreego

onreego Member

Oh yeah, I understand why he does it. That's a whole other conversation to have lol.

He should still sell the team.

glimmertwins likes this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Abbott asks the right question at the beginning and at the end of his article--why in the hell did the NBA okay Tilman's purchase?

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

...not to mention go from a modest beginning to a most immodest present. Let’s face it, this pandemmie thingy hasn’t helped biz’ like his.

Solution? Sell the Rox!

Jontro and SamFisher like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's odd and likely has something to do with Les, I'd also like to know who Les' better offers were (China?) that he supposedly rejected to gift to a local boy.

steddinotayto, BallaDoc and mikol13 like this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If it is negative Tilman news, it’s gospel. If it’s negative Harden news, media conspiracy.

KingCheetah and J.R. like this.
  20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The NBA will likely eventually have to do something about this - I can't imagine his business fortunes changing drastically any time soon. The last thing they need is an owner who can't make payroll. I'm not necessarily the most versed in business dealings at that level but Tillman seems like he is stuck between a rock and hard spot - selling the team probably gives him back some short term financial stability but what is that actually worth when your businesses is in the toilet because it was shaky at best pre-Covid and is now severely impacted post Covid? I'm not even sure what the fallout would be from restructuring his debt since a large part of that debt was used to purchase arguably his best asset right now in the sports franchise and again the NBA can step in at some point and take steps to take the team off his hands if he gets in too much trouble....just sucks because it impacts our ceiling as a franchise because Tillman isn't in a place to go deep into the cap despite having our best chance at a title on the roster now who is growing tired of waiting for his owner to spend.

I know a lot of people hate on Fertitta - and I"m certainly not a big fan either, but I have to say as a diehard Rocket fan, if I had hundreds of millions of dollars in the bank and someone had a plan that showed me a slim way that I could purchase the my hometown franchise, I would probably do whatever it takes too and hope for the best. That's a once in a lifetime opportunity. So while I hate how this has impacted my team, I can see why he was optimistic that he would tighten his belt in the short term and manage to hang on long enough that the franchise valuation gave him more options to shore up his financial issues in the long term but Covid took a bloody bat to that plan and Fertitta's timing for his plan couldn't have been worse.

clutchdabear likes this.