1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People Confuse High Infection Rate With Bad Economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jan 2, 2021.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You pretty much made his point. Unless you actually think your list is the foundation of our economy.

The market is filled with investment dollars. Smart money (vultures), middle class investment money, and lots and lots and lots of dumb money. The market is over stimulated. And the dumb money (too much coming from these stimulus checks) are going to end up in the hands like warren Buffet.

Democrats have perfect the art of handing out pocket change to poor people and coming off like heros.

The smartest thing I have seen coming out of this pandemic is junior loans/forbearance. 2000 checks buy votes, not relief.

pgabriel likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As compared to Feb 2020 before things went south...

~23m people lost their jobs (full and part time) at the peak (April).

~10m people still out of their jobs as of Nov’20.

The stock market is hot. Stimulus for the stock market isn’t needed.

Support for the 10m is still needed.

Space Ghost likes this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

Yung-T, FrontRunner and adoo like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Were you molested in a freshman poli-sci lecture, or watching Face the Nation at the student union? Every rebuttal to any of your ill-formed opinions is met with either "dick rider" or "you don't know me," like some troubled teen.

7. adoo

adoo Member

just the specifics
    an outgrowth of this has been food insecurity, https://apnews.com/article/race-and...rus-pandemic-4c7f1705c6d8ef5bac241e6cc8e331bb
    Feeding America, the nation’s largest anti-hunger organization, scrambled to keep up as states locked down and schools — many providing free breakfasts and lunches
    An AP analysis of Feeding America data from 181 food banks in its network found the organization has distributed nearly 57 percent more food in the third quarter of the year, compared with the same period in 2019. Feeding America estimates those facing hunger will swell to 1 in 6 people, from 35 million in 2019 to more than 50 million by this year’s end. The consequences are even more dire for children — 1 in 4, according to the group.​

meanwhile, the resident buffoon continuing to publicize his ignorance again

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They may be hungry but they ain't STARVING!

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...r-rising-deficits.293807/page-6#post-12016043

London'sBurning and vlaurelio like this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep money over lives

keep rich people and corporations rich

don't let poor people be comfortable

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and if they're dying so what. its just a small percentage they on their last legs. there will be herd immunity to hunger even death.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Molestation and sexual abuse can lead to drug addiction too not just name calling unfortunately.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

nd dick riding

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

FrontRunner, Amiga, Blatz and 2 others like this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So can I assume you are now a Republican?

Nook likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

pgabs...we found your bike

Nook likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A notleavethenextgenerationunsurmoutabledebtan

17. AkeemTheDreem86

What if everyone needing to go back to work due to financial insecurities is what's making the infection rate go up?

Nook and ThatBoyNick like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dick riding?

AkeemTheDreem86 and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Classic.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing you don't work in the service industry or know many who do. I just got takeout brunch from a Colombian place in my neighborhood. Pre-Covid this place would be packed on a Sunday but they have an empty dining room, one person working as server, host and cashier and a skeleton crew in the back. There are millions of businesses around this country like that.

This is the last week of the NFL regular football season. When you watch the games today most of these stadiums are empty. On average an NFL game generates $11.6 million. With the lack of fan attendance the NFL is set to lose about $2.7 bn. Now we might care about the billionaire owners losing that money and as it turns out the teams themselves still make TV revenue but the people who are really hurt by this aren't owners but all of those people who work concessions, sell tickets, work security and clean the stadiums. Those people aren't getting million dollar salaries or cuts of TV revenue and league profit sharing.

We always talk about not missing the forest for the trees but it's also dangerous to miss the trees for the forest. While the overall unemployment average is around 6.8% in the service industry it is 15% with many people being unemployed since March and many other people who while employed are dealing with reduced hours and reduced tips. This would be like looking at a forest from Google Earth and concluding everything is fine because the forest is green. Meanwhile many of the trees are being eaten by a bark beetle outbreak. The overall economy might be still going with some sectors doing well that doesn't mean that there aren't big parts of this economy that are weak and struggling to hang on.

All of that said I agree with you and Space Ghost that not everyone needs $2,000. I know I don't and was surprised to get a few hundred the last stimulus. I donated that money to help out my community and if I get another stimulus check I plan on doing the same. I hope the next Congress and President can work out a targeted aid package. That doesn't mean that aid isn't needed or that there should be now stimulus checks. This is again one of those we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. With many small businesses going under even while the overall economy goes is not good. Besides sector unemployment it's leading to a consolidation of businesses where large businesses survive and even benefit from the carnage while main streets and diverse neighborhoods continue to suffer.

Nook likes this.