1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I love how Clutch is always out there keeping it real. Can be difficult to do on Twitter.

Wall isn't as dumb with the ball as Russell Westbrook, and that's all I need to make the trade worth it.

2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I know it is somewhat out of necessity, but I am surprised whatever minute limitations the Washington bullets were talking about seem to be out the window.

could not be happier with the way Wall is playing and interacting with the media. If he does not get hurt and keeps the minutes and productivity up we will make some loud noise in the west.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i def think he's an upgrade over WB at this point... hopefully he holds up!

DeBeards likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Wall is better period the only thing that would hurt him is his durability. IQ is no small thing and people tend to under judge that. Wall is a better defender and all around smarter player than Westbrook and that could be the difference between wins and loses. Wall led his own team to the ECF's. Westbrook could not get his own team with more talent than John Wall had out of the first round.

slothy420, 34to11, DonKnock and 8 others like this.
  5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I would like to see more PNR with Wood and MORE ASSISTS! Your shots will come. Specially when you need to take over. Spread the wealth and you’ll stay healthy. Save it for the playoffs. As a team, master the switching D.

DonKnock, D-rock and bj3175 like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If JW keeps playing this well and continues to improve, the BBS will be wall to wall with Wall. I’m fine with that. I also like him a hell of a lot more than I ever cared for Westbrook. What a relief. We were Stoned, and thank goodness.

slothy420, Easy, Scarface and 8 others like this.
  7. jacoby

jacoby Member

Considering the unlikeliness that OKC will swap their 2 picks with ours, we essentially traded Chris Paul (now 35) and a 1st rounder for John Wall (30 years old).

Stone helped salvage the Rockets from that disastrous trade in just one year. He also turned Rob Covington into Christian Wood and a 1st round pick.

gotsis, PeterKingX, Yung-T and 13 others like this.
  8. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

It should be obvious his weakness is shooting.... although he's better than Westbrook at it.

D-rock likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Meh.

Westbrook was a significant downgrade from Paul, and Wall is a significant downgrade from Westbrook.

At least we got picks out of it I guess

11. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Wall played great today. He is going to need four other players working with him moving forward though. I really hope that Harden can be a part of the team offense.

12. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

James.B.H, Yung-T, ROCK3TM4N and 2 others like this.
  13. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Westbrook is 0-5 with the Wizards, they finally won a game to go to 1-5...with Westbrook out...Healthy Wall is significantly better than Westbrick, the mainstream media will never admit it.

14. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

That's a straw man.

Also, I never knew "winning basketball" was defined as winning 2 games in a row against a scrub team. Happy to get a couple victories, but we have a long ways to go.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wall is, and always has been a far superior defender compared to Russell Westbrook.

Therefore, you must believe that Westbrook is a far superior offensive player in order to believe that Wall is a significant downgrade to Westbrook.

I’m not so sure.

sirjesse, Yung-T, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perhaps Wall took a ton of shots when he was injured. Before he could do a lot of running and just putting up tons of shots.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

finishing at the rim... Wall is miles better. He has some amazing touch and English capabilities as compared to Brody whose layups and shots in general had very little touch. Brody shot has to be pure with his lack of touch, otherwise the backboard/rim would get rid of his ****.

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

I agree this concerns me as well on the long term. His minutes and these blow bys along with the stalking defense takes a toll. the game will be easier with more pnr and floaters. Postups should also be on the menu

ROCK3TM4N likes this.
  19. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Yeah have been saying this for a few weeks. Granted it's only been two games, but the "trade of transference" (Paul + FRP for Wall) is definitely less bad than it was. Hopefully Wall stays healthy.

Such a mythical trade is still "bad" in that it's swapping a declining max player for another max player coming off of a devastating injury. I suppose it would have been interesting to see what such a trade could have looked like with hindsight, meaning had the Westbrook trade not happened and Paul stayed another year in Houston and played as good as he did in OKC.

Say that happened, Houston still falls short in the bubble season. Would Chris Paul still command a large trade value? Perhaps he still gets traded to Phoenix and Houston gets younger, while maintaining most of their draft picks?

Or let's say an unlikely Paul for Wall trade is an option. Instead of Houston trading "Paul + a FRP for Wall" perhaps such a hypothetical trade would end up being Paul for...Wall + a FRP -- the exact trade that sent Westbrook to WSH.

So in the end, the net loss may have been ~2 first round picks...Houston could have simply not traded for Westbrook, maintained their draft picks and still ended up with the same value back, albeit extremely risky since Wall is still largely a major unknown long-term.

The only other collateral damage I wonder is whether Houston could have found a way to keep Covington and still sign Wood.

In the end, so far so good with regards to the salvage job by Stone. If he can somehow convince Harden to stay and sign an extension...give him executive of the year.

joshuaao and jacoby like this.
  20. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

Right now, Wall looks much better than Paul,and he is 5 years younger. I wouldn’t do Wall for Paul + 1FRP

DLT likes this.