1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker Has the Audacity...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownrox1, Dec 26, 2020.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

It figures...all these "good ole boys" would be against paying him LOL.

Batman Jones likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I would have hoped that as well.....but then this happened.

See? He's actually serious as insane as it seems.

ilovehtownbb and Htown's Finest like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The argument isn't necessarily that PJ is worthless but that he's getting a higher rotation spot than he should.

Again, this is the year that Artest, Bowen, Battier etc started to decline heavily. There is a risk that Tucker next season could be Jared Dudley.

Extensions are based on the future, not the past, which is lost on a lot of fans.

Easy, AroundTheWorld and DaDakota like this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

This is the poster boy for being a Tillman Stooge that I'm talking about, back on ignore you go. I hope you have fun on January 20th, I know I will :)

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nah, he's just committed to his trolling.

You'd have to be a special kind of stupid to think that contract extensions are based on past performance instead of expected future performance.

6. Htown's Finest

LMAO. You going overboard with the joke now HP3. So many people here claim that Harden has never had any help here whatsoever. But you want Houston to extend a washed up Tucker and not use his expiring to either bring in a much younger and better player or a late FR pick? Aren't you the same person that told me Houston needs to convince Harden to stay by going out and being aggressive (your words not mine)? I would agree with you on keeping Tuck if we didn't have Tate on the team. But we need to see if we can flip Tucker for a big IMO.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is merely you threatening self harm hoping I'll care. I say go for it killer if you think that's what you want to do.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

I havent said that? He hasnt had the all star firepower his teams have gone up against no. There is an between there. He's not washed though? The dude still performs. If Harden is staying, than you keep him. He's too valuable to this particular team to give it up. And he's a proven playoff performer. Harden loves Tucker and still wants to play with him. Being aggressive doesnt mean you trade Tucker. If Harden leaves than I dont know what's wrong with showing loyalty. Do you see us contending in 2 years time? One of which we will be tanking for sure. Answer that? There are some things that mean more than money. And how often do late FRP even pan out? Not a lot.

9. Htown's Finest

Late FRP can pan out, while I do agree that it's a serious gamble with the draft in general. But I wasn't necessarily thinking in the lines of us keeping the pick but rather another asset for something maybe down the line. I love Tuck, but he is getting old. Maybe consult with Harden on his thoughts and go from there. If Harden wants out, ship Tucker somewhere that will give him a chance at a chip. If Harden buys in and wants to stay here in Houston and wants PJ here then keep Tucker. If Harden wants to stays here but thinks we need to add another player and is ok with the idea of losing Tuck to bring back possibly a better piece then trade Tucker. That's how I would approach the Tucker situation if I was the Rockets.

HP3 likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

It can but I just dont see the worth in trading a guy who's actually our best defensive player right now if Harden is staying, also a proven playoff performer. I would much rather trade House or EG(I love EG though and I would rather not but for the sake of argument). But back to if Harden leaves, I just dont see whats wrong with giving him a two year deal. I really dont. One of those years we are going to be tanking anyways(or we should be its a really good draft). If Harden leaves, we have to rebuild from the ground up. Tucker can mentor the young guys and retire. People are gonna be mad the dude is getting paid 8-10 million for one year when we arent even contending? Cmon. It's also beyond a money factor to me. This dude has been the heart and soul of our team for years, that means something.

ksny15 likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Give him a 3-year deal with a team option on year 3. He's earned that with his play for us since we got him. He'll still be a quality player next year, even if he's not starting.

ksny15 and HP3 like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

PJ was important. He is no longer important.

DD

13. Htown's Finest

I get where you are coming from. House actually had some slight resemblances of his old form last night, if he can build on last night's performance I would be ok with keeping him. On to the Tucker situation, I love Tucker so much that I would rather see him leave us and have a chance at a ring than to stay here and just be a mentor. Tucker plays with so much heart and soul that's it hard not to root for a guy like him that lays it all on the line every night. Another thought would be to simply ask Tucker. If Houston was forced to trade Harden and rebuild see if Tucker would mind a mentor role for our young guys with the understanding that his minutes would be very limited. Maybe he would prefer to be traded to a contender if he knows Harden is not here. It's not a simple scenario the more you think about it. But I would not just simply extend Tucker to just extend him just yet, I would take the same approach Stone has taken, which is a wait and see approach.

HP3 likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

PJ was a key to winning the Sacramento game because he was clutch down the stretch. I think if he comes off the bench for about 20 minutes a game, he’ll still be an impact player for us. He’s also close to James. In other words, I like your idea.

While I don’t know what a good number would be, it’s why we have a GM, but agree that he’s earned an extension and would continue to earn it. Tucker just might help retain James, the guy’s a great locker room presence, I can’t think of a better player to teach our young guys the intricacies of defense, and he can still contribute to winning. Take care of the man.

HP3 likes this.
  15. WiltTheStilt13

Don’t get all the Tacker hate, I thought he played fine last night.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He played fine by his standards because no one expects any more from him than to be a guy who provides absolutely nothing on offense and who is only occasionally useful on defense.

If we had any real expectations for him, I don't think we'd say that he played "fine" overall, he just had a few "fine" minutes in an otherwise "meh" performance.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yeah a 3 year deal with similar money to what he gets now with no raises that is fully guaranteed in year 1, partially guaranteed in year 2 and partially to non guaranteed in year 3 seems fair if possible

HP3 likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bet Stephen Silas disagrees.

Silas important. DD not.

MIAGI99 and HP3 like this.
  19. hakeemthagreat

You'd also have to be stupid to think not paying guys who played almost every game and who've literally risked their bodies for the betterment of the team, doesn't resonate among other players around the nba. The Rockets reputation under Daryl Morey soured and we haven't had many key free agents come here. I'd hope the Rockets reach a deal with PJ, and allow him to mentor guys like the Heat did Udonis Haslem

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And are you familiar with the contracts Haslem got in Miami?

And players aren't risking their bodies for the betterment of the team. They're risking their bodies for millions of dollars.

AroundTheWorld likes this.