1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Rockets want to trade Harden "sooner rather than later"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 18, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This trade works:

Houston out: Harden, PJ, Picks
    Houston in: BRown, MPJ, Gary Harris

Boston out: Brown, Smart
    Boston in: Harden

Denver out: MPJ, Harris
    Denver in: Smart, PJ, Picks

Im sure Denver says no, but was trying to think of a way to get both Brown and MPJ, and thought maybe Denver would be better for playoffs with more defense. They're 6th in offense but 29th in defense so far, which is why but for the Rockets not having players they'd be 0-4 to start the year.

joshuaao, 18pbr and johnnydeezy1 like this.
  2. Boston84

Boston84 Member

it’s not that he can’t get him it’s that it makes no sense for Denver to trade there best tradeable asset for another young player with upside. It’s counter productive, if you’re trading a young player with upside and a promising future the return shouldn’t then be a young player with upside and a promising future who oh btw is paid more.

It’s just backwards hustling, if you’re giving up mpj it’s for an established superstar player it has nothing to do with brown not being able to get mpj lol

3. Nook

Nook Member

He can beat guys off the dribble in the same way Durant or Curry do.

A 7'0" that has solid lateral movement that can really shoot is going to score a lot of points.

He is a solid passer for a small forward.

He is as more of a win now piece than Herro or Simmons. Brown is more of a win now piece but he has lower upside on the offensive side.

The Rockets are not going to get anyone that is going to lead the Rockets to a lot of wins right away.

Also, no the Nuggets would not be 3-1 or 4-0 with Grant.

Two of the three loses are by double digits.

Also Porter is averaging 20/7/2/1/1.5 with a an EFG of 67% and an on/off of 138/114

As for Grant he is averaging 23/6/2/1/2 with an EFG of 55% and an on/off of 121/112

Porter has been arguably the better player this season so far.

lilbird20, CXbby and 18pbr like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You sure are basing a lot on potential and Brown would fit in on any team because he is a two way player.

What are basing him attracting other stars to play with him?

I mean sure players flock to play with guys complaining about shots while in the midst of a great playoff run.

Why would guys not want to play with Brown but play with MPJ?

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Somebody in Denver is getting fired if that trade happens.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Gary Harris a few years ago looked like he was going to emerge as a big scorer for the Nuggets but he has been pushed aside by Murray and in some ways how the Nuggets play through the post. I think that he overall has negative value because of his contract but I am not adverse taking him back if it brings back Porter and or additional talent. Harris is someone that I think would thrive in a different role and system. I personally think he should be a 6th man.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Denver GM says No so hard that he gives himself a brain aneurysm

hakeem94, Patience and vator like this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ok. We we’ve eliminated Boston as a potential landing spot for Harden then. I don’t see their package as meaningfully better than the Nets to be honest.

Still think it’s Denver, Miami or New Orleans, but in the offseason.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I see somebody is a MPJ fanboy.:D

I respect your opinion but I am not there yet.

Just been burned too much by potential and skills, I think I would rather have brown and try and get a true star than putting all of eggs in hoping MPJ is that type of guy, also the fact that MPJ does not initiate much offenes and Murray does makes me wonder about his playmaking.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

It has to do with perceived upside.

Free agents do not usually want to join borderline all stars but actual star players and Porter likely has a higher ceiling than Brown.

Also as a side note, it is a lot easier to find an adequate shooting guard than it is a small forward.

finsraider likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

If it were me I would have to go with MPJ as well. Brown is good but he has a ceiling. At best I think he can be the second best player on a championship team. Simmons is interesting because if he ever were to get a jump shot...than he would instantly become a top 10 player without a doubt. But even that is doubtful.

I understand the back issues ......but I donno, I'd rather take a gamble on the higher ceiling.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I never was a big Porter fan in high school or when he entered college. I found him to be overhyped.

Having said that, late last season and early this season I have seen a player that is about 80% of the way to being at a minimum an all star. There are others out there I prefer more but they are not available in trade. So that is the reason I believe Porter is the best "get" for the Rockets in a deal.

As far as Murray initiating the offense, remember Porter is breaking into a situation where Murray already has established he will initiate the offense. Porter will initiate the offense some, but he is really more of a guy that will score off screens, pull up threes, put backs and one on one. He isn't ever going to be a creator or passer like Harden or LeBron James........ his style is more like Durant or Nowitzki or Porzingas.

jiggyfly and CXbby like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They both have a ceiling. MPJ's is probably higher. But they both have floors as well - Jaylen's is significantly higher.

Patience and saleem like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay before we continue, are you saying this because of his back issues that he has a lower floor?

15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I'm taking brown in a heart beat. Dude is a winner, n a leader. U don't need a star(which he can be btw) Jimmy butler just made it to the finals, n isn't a top 10 player to me. Remember its about having a great team not a great player. Put me down as a brown guy

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. finsraider

finsraider Member

this is my point. I think we are at Browns ceiling...he’s probably 90% of the player he will be at his peak. He will continue to improve, but will fall short of being a consistent all-star or someone you can use to attract other players.

Porter has an elite skillset, and it happens to be the most valuable skillset there is in the league. IF he can round out his game, he can be a franchise cornerstone.

pippendagimp and Nook like this.
  17. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Mpj ain't ever gonna .ake guys better. To me you only winning if he ur 3rd best player tops. U can win with brown being your 2nd best. Thats how I view guys. Ben is almost on the edge of u could win with him as ur best player.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I can only think of one team in the last 40 years that won a title without a top 10 player on their roster. That was the Detroit Pistons that beat a Lakers team that basically imploded after Pau Gasol's girl was caught cheating on him.

ryano2009 and Boston84 like this.
  19. finsraider

finsraider Member

Grants role in Detroit is completely different than his role in Denver, and Denver is being forced to play MPJ at the 3 because they have to put Millsap in to help the defense. Personal opinion that he’s a bigger loss for Denver than many realize.

Nook likes this.
  20. Boston84

Boston84 Member

no you’ve eliminated Boston. And if you don’t see the difference in brown between what the nets are offering in 26 and 27 yr olds vs a 24 yr old then idk what to tell you but again you also think a 3 way deal where mpj offers up their young promising asset just to get another young promising asset makes sense.

and New Orleans isn’t trading Ingram for 1 year of harden.

Nook likes this.