1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Russell Westbrook as a Washington Wizard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 3, 2020.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Russell Westbrook is enjoying his Wizards freedom......3 triple doubles for three losses. I thought they might have at least won today

2. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Russ is doing the best thing for his legacy. His legacy will always be defined by triple doubles. Frankly he wasted a year in Houston, if not for this year (in terms of efficiency and winning, his best year in the last 4 years), he could average a triple for 5, 6 years in a row, and obliterate Robertson's record regarding triple doubles. Nobody cares if he won anything 20 years later, it will be all about triple doubles. If Harden never wins a ring as the best player, 20 years later people will say Russ is the better player, just because of the triple doubles. It sounds ridiculous to people who actually watched their game, but so is the obsession of NBA community to triple doubles.

3. Rockets4Life13

I agree but the obsession with triple doubles is now dramatically lower compared to 5 years ago. Nowadays a bunch of people are getting tripple doubles on a nightly basis. Russ devalued that thing all by himself.

IvanLCPM, Sonicbun8, Reeko and 3 others like this.
  4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i actually liked the durant/westbrook thunder and wanted them to win a title. and i thought westbrook got too much hate for taking shots when durant often wouldn't get himself open. but that westbrook was a league average efficiency player who had a clear positive impact on winning. then, as J.R. pointed out, he stole harden's mvp and the hate started. not so much because of him, but listening to the media fawn over him and make it clear they wanted him to win the whole time. reminded me of watching reggie bush steal vince's heisman. the clearly superior player was never given a fair shake and not only lost, but lost in a landslide. may not be westbrook's fault, but he was the one stat-padding to get the media attention so whatever.

then the following few years the playstyle took over for hating him. everything we said about him not being mvp became 200% true. can't shoot, stat-padding ballhog, empty stats, doesn't help you win, would play the same way whether he had good teammates or bad teammates and he wouldn't help good teammates win. it validated every claim that he wasn't the mvp. not only that, watching him take a step back in talent, then take another step back, but refusing to change his game made him the kind of player i would hate even without the mvp. talking trash to a guy like lillard while he's getting waved goodbye. telling people they better double him when he's down 29 in a playoff game.

so much like i didn't really like dwight before he joined the rockets (though i still would have signed him) and didn't like melo (i wouldn't have) because they couldn't acknowledge/avoid their weaknesses, i didn't like russ. watching him say this offseason that he wasn't going to change anything like he's been on a whirlwind tour of winning is just hilarious. and being mad at the rockets for not accommodating him when we changed everything for him and he had one of the worst playoffs ever.

also, just in general westbrook is a posterchild for the "this guy is great" talk from the media when they don't help you win at all (just tonight barkley couldn't understand why an mvp and an all-star couldn't win like he thinks westbrook is still an mvp), and i've never liked those guys. of course, arguably the guy i've liked least from that perspective recently is none other than john wall so i have to get used to that. i'm not sure why we pick up all the guys i hate, but i was actually starting to like westbrook before the season shutdown. he was taking mostly good shots, he was driving a lot, seemed to fit into the overall spirit of the team; so maybe wall will be the same.

anyway, watching a media darling guy refuse to change or acknowledge his weaknesses while losing a lot is fun, although the start to washington's season has almost been too much.

#164 francis 4 prez, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    IvanLCPM, Easy, Koperboy and 6 others like this.
  5. francis 4 prez

i wouldn't worry about that. that's easier to pull off if you played before major tv coverage like oscar but people have seen plenty of westbrook and harden. there's no question who is better among current fans and that will shape a large part of the narrative. and more importantly, if all you have to go on are stats, james harden is going to look ridiculous to future generations. the guy has led the league in win shares for 5 straight years and put up back to back seasons averaging nearly 35 ppg and advanced stats generally love him and don't like russ that much. harden just spent an offseason fighting with management, spent training camp in quarantine, and looks like he's a biscuit short of 250 pounds and rolled in and averaged 39/12/5 in his first 2 games on insane efficiency.

JumpMan likes this.
  6. francis 4 prez

to be a little fair to washington, i just looked at the espn box score and it listed I. Donga, D. Advija, and T. Bryant as starters. unless the T stands for terry, then i have no idea what the I, D, or T stand for. even if it does stand for terry, i don't really know who that is. that can't be good.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I almost forgot how fun it was to root against Russ Westbrook.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL

Rocket River

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

0-4 bahaa lol

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The last part i disagree with. Even with people hating Harden no one in their right minds even the guys on TNT and Herd and Kellerman who dont like the way Harden plays puts him way ahead of Westbrook. 20 years from now the hate will be gone and Harden will actually be apreciated because his name will consistenly pop up in the record books. Barkley was a ******* and never got a ring and even before his tnt career people loved him.

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Damn Westbrook is playing soo bad that we won't get our first round pick for him.

BossHogg713 and BigShasta like this.
  13. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Russ is great! He’s getting me triple dubs in my fantasy league

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Didn't he do this at some point last season? It's becoming a yearly thing.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wiz and Rockets 0-6 to start the year.

16. vator

vator Contributing Member

The comments! Read the comment lmao!!! Internet remains undefeated lol

“Bro quoting mlk after losing to the bulls he down bad”

“He finna be quoting songs from the take care album by Drake next”

#176 vator, Dec 30, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

People thought they would be good. Nah Losers lol

King1 likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I hate Westbrook, and think he's the emptiest stats in the league. However, I still thought the Wiz would be decent with him. Apparently even with my extremely low opinion, I still managed to overrate him.

So f**king glad to have him gone.

Jayzers_100, GotGame15 and BigShasta like this.
  20. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Rockets gotta win one to enjoy Westbrook sucking.

DreamShook, Jayzers_100 and GotGame15 like this.