1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wood with 31 and 13 in his Rockets Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmoney1101, Dec 27, 2020.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Absolutely, well done.

DeBeards likes this.
  2. pippsux

pippsux Member

Sky is the limit for this young man. I don't know what they are doing in Detroit, but this kid is a steal. What do I like?

* Can create his own shot and finish

I still think we need to trade Harden if a team get's desperate enough, to give what Rafa is asking for.

fattz, BigShasta, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Who wants more HARD-WOOD?

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Finally got a chance to watch Wood’s highlights. He is definitely a great signing. If I have to nitpick what was stats wise an excellent game it was that he was playing a relatively poor defense-Nurkic in particular is not known as a plus defender. There were also a few plays where he gave himself the green light to take some much tougher shots than I think he has the skill set for. I question why a guy of his size is attempting to drive, then taking a deep step back 3. Harden makes it looks easy - Wood, less so. I also think his biggest struggle will be to finish through contact. He is definitely stronger than when he first came through here and you could see he has better touch to adjust when that happens but I would love to see him finish through that. The strength would also help him defensively and as a rebounder so that has to be his primary focus next offseason. I do still see him as a bit narrow focused when he gets the ball - would like to see him pass out when teams swarm him. That will be the way teams try to defend as he continues to light up defenses- they will throw bodies at him and dare him to pass out of that. Overall though it does seem like he is the type of player every team wish they had. If he could solve the issues mentioned above he could be a multiple time all star.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Did you actually watch his highlights, though?

0:22 Wood finishes over Covington and Nurkic
    0:55 Wood gets fouled across the arms by Roy Jones Jr. and finishes the shot
    1:26 Wood puts the ball on the floor, drives on Nurkic and finishes over him despite great defense.
    2:13 Wood puts the ball on the floor, drives on Jones Jr. and dunks on him.
    3:07 Wood catches the lob pass from Harden on 3 POR defenders (Nurkic, Covington, Jones Jr.) and finishes over all of them despite contact.

A lot of his made shots were through 2+ Blazers defenders. There were many shots where he was fouled, the refs didn't call it, and the ball still went in.

Wood is going to be MIP.

6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Although he can create his own shot and finish. He looks like an entirely different beast with Harden than when harden is out for rest.

Nook and RyanB like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

For as skinny and frail as he looks, he takes contact pretty well. Dame bumped into his body and Wood didn’t move and was able to block his shot.
    If he was able to add 10-15 pounds of muscle I think he could fair well against some of the big guys in the league. Help side defender for sure.
    Tuck and Boogie should be able to offset some of the banging and let wood come from weak side.

Hakeemtheking, Patience and saleem like this.
  8. Denovo

Denovo Member

His perimeter defense has also been overlooked due to his lack of strength in the post. He did well when switched onto Dame and or CJ. Small sample size but his length forced into horrible releases.

With his play style he will have to lean bulk to avoid losing speed and quickness like Capela did.

Id expect his body to fill out around 28 when he’s really in his prime.

9. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Oh. I was not aware of that. I guess when guarding big body players like Nurkic, Silas might switch to Cousins at 5 then.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

His ability to catch and finish while swarmed in the paint is elite.

To reach his potential he needs to work on a consistent jumper ala Dirk, Garnett, or Durant. Then work on boxing out and post defense.

With Harden and Wall we don’t need him to create his own shot but he should still continue to refine his moves.

Still to have a player who can flush it like Capela with better hands and also hit the 3 and create his own shot? Very exciting!

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You actually watch his misses, though? You actually understand my post though? I said he has improved his touch to compensate for the contact but I want him to finish THROUGH the contact. He shouldn’t have to get crafty when a much smaller defender bumps into him..and like I said that strength will help him on defense and rebounding as well. To his credit he has figured out a way to compensate for his literal weakness but to be a full time all star he will need to overcome that weakness

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

If he is that determined, then he better work on his defense.

13. csc177

csc177 Member

Did not realize how skilled he was my goodness. The handle to set up a move, his comfortable triple threat, respectable jumper, bounce, and quick first step will give bigs in both conferences nightmares. How 13 wouldn’t want to play this year out with Wall, EG, Wood, Cousins and (energy D guys) is beyond me.

.....outside of the Nets, the teams on his wish list are not winning the chip, may as well suck it up and ride it out this year with us, James.

pr0wler and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. csc177

csc177 Member

Relax. His length and quick twitch ability to block shots is good enough to compensate for his lack of strength. If he continues to block shots at the clip he did last year - we’ll be fine.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Offensively he is the real deal.

Defensively. Not so much.

I’d like him to add some weight, but as is his feet seem clunky. Doesn’t have a burst in his leap. Things Dream could probably show him how to improve.

Regardless if this is his apex I would be content. To know he could get better is kind of exciting.

joshuaao and hakeem94 like this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Not as good as AD, but more athletic
    So would 90 percent of the NBA

csc177 likes this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wood is the wrong person Hakeem has to mentor.
    Needs to talk to Harden about mending fences with the organization.

18. csc177

csc177 Member

Part of his issue was losing weight during the season. Hopefully he can put some muscle on next offseason - and grow into his frame working the next 2 yrs the way Yao and Capela did with their thinner frames.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

This is the beauty of this squad.. I fully expect to start them both against teams like the Lakers... this puts a new spin on Moreys version of flexibility

Hakeemtheking and BamBam like this.
  20. csc177

csc177 Member

Clunky feet? You see when he catches the ball in the paint under control and doesn’t travel, that’s footwork. His first step is insane for a big. (rewatch his burst when he drives when folks close out on him - matter of fact that baseline move and dunk on Nurkic last night is proof) ...AND he definitely has burst in his leap - his arms are just so dang long he doesn’t have to jump as high most times.

Hakeemtheking and cmoak1982 like this.