1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not a complaint but an observation: Harden is still playing analytic ball aka MoreyBall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Dec 27, 2020.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I think that was the cause some of the frustration on the final play. Tucker was running motion like most of the roster did all night. I like the new style and wrinkle that Silas has implemented. We took less than 30 threes during regulation which hasn’t happened in3 years seem like the old rockets have adjusted to it(House, Gordon and Mclemore) and the news guys fit in well with the motion offense but I noticed Harden was still playing like the last three years. And running the offense like years pass. I don’t have a complaint with how he ran the offense but I was hoping he would diversify his shot selection and utilize the midrange more.

RyanB, cbs1507, xtruroyaltyx and 2 others like this.
  2. HardenVolumeOne

harden had to take over a little bit there, plus he was playing heavy minutes being full court pressed the entire game. there was really no secondary ballhandler. if we have wall, mclemore, cousins and gordon we win this game. We just got out-talented a bit tonight

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's been said before that Harden has the green light to shoot the ball from wherever he wants on the floor. His shot selection is his choice. I'd be surprised if he makes any major changes to it.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

WHY DO YOU GUYS WANT MORE MID RANGE?????

Its not a good idea. Mid range does not help tonight. It does nothing for us. If anything we lost tonight because we did not hit enough 3s.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nah Silas ball is Morey Ball. Dallas shot almost as many 3s as we did last season.

The personel tonight just cannot shoot 3's and they passed up a lot of shots Gordon and McLemore would have taken

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden shooting midrange tonight would’ve done nothing

Why should he have bothered with midrange jumpers tonight when he could get a layup, floater, or stepback three off whenever he wanted, and shot 6-13 from deep?

He dropped 44 points on 22 shots, and we’re talking about midrange jump shots?

OP is basically saying he should’ve shot midrange tonight just ‘cause

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He scored 44 points on 22 shots, that's ****ing insane.

8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Harden played Harden ball

fckbandwagons and RyanB like this.
  9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Depends on the player. Like tucker I would have absolutely parked at the 3 point line. What's he doing with that ball even if harden got it to him midrange? Absolutely nothing.

D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

My guy, mid range would have done nothing for us this game, trust me.

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

And 17 assists. Like come on that's sick.

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Right. I am saying the same thing. Mid range can help if you have the players for it. Wood should be allowed to play midrange. Pj should not. Wall should be allowed to play midrange when he is playing. Most of the players though are going to be either shooting 3s or slashing for layups.

D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  13. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Ugghhh... friggin couch coaches.

"Hey James you a former MVP and 3 time scoring champion. But if I were you I would take more midrange shots. Then you would win the chip too. I guarantee it..."

14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m saying harden should shoot it more. Not all our players. Harden can get that easily

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Here is the thing . . .. . How many open threes did we pass up that ended up with worse shots
    or a turnover?

Rocket River

16. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

I ****ing hate Moreyball.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Neither of them should because neither of them are good at them tbh...That's just my opinion. Maybe...Wall....should shoot them a little.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden was far from the problem tonight.

31% from 3 was the problem AND shitty defense.

LOL

vator likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I saw multiple open shots in the mid range that were passed up and led to a turnover or a clank three.

Sometimes taking what the defense gives you is the most efficient play.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe clanking up threes is the reason why this team the past few seasons has been a below average three point shooting team. Maybe having more variety in shot attempts will increase efficiency from three?

DaDakota, hakeem94 and Ramo$e like this.