1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Had my catalytic converter stolen from my 2005 Prius.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glynch, Dec 24, 2020.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The car had $158 k miles and aside from brake pads and maintenance just about the most expensive repair was replacing a front light which was something like a ridiculous $100 labor as they had to practically take off the front end to replace it.
    This is the hot thing in Houston and I guess the rest of the country as the increasingly valuable rare metals in the catalyst are less used in the Prius. I called a couple of junk yards and could not find one. The dealer close by, where it has been maintained, quoted $3200 to put in a new one. So I am the proud owner, but scared owner of a new Prius. No more leaving the car out on the front drive way, only in the garage. Those m'fers.

#1 glynch, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am sorry, that’s awful.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sorry for your monetary loss at this time of year. Several of us have donated to the Houston food bank for people in need. Even you are welcome to the many benefits it provides to people in need.

Space Ghost likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Too bad the government makes you have those things. Pay a Hispanic 80 bucks to get an inspection and a new fake hollow converter.

Jontro and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Since it's something stolen from your car could your auto insurance help? If it happened at home perhaps even homeowners insurance could help.

BigShasta and CCity Zero like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, there was a rash of these crimes in SF a few years ago. I think they don't even resale the c.c. itself but just make $ off the metals.
    I think a lot of them even have platinum or palladium in them. And it's a super quick operation most times to drop it out.

@glynch, I think you should just enjoy driving it around with the motor volume to 10. Paint some flames on that b**** and live it up! Bonus points when it goes on and off the battery and makes other drivers spill their coffee.

BamBam likes this.
  7. glynch

lol I donate substantially to politicians whose policies, as we have seen in more enlightened nations, virtually eliminate the need for the Food Bank. Theirs is a much more historic Christian or mainstream religious approach to government and food insecurity. BTW a friend of mine has worked as a full time staffer for roughly 10 years at the Houston Food Bank and would encourage your donations, but back my approach.

As a frugal boomer I was thinking of getting a new Prius next year. Paid cash as they are closing out the 2020's for their "Toyotathon", but still.

CometsWin likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Sorry to hear this, but Please don't tell me you paid $3200... I know why there's a spike for your car's catalytic converter but it's not worth $3200 to get one even w/ labor (even w/ the o2 sensors). Unless you live in California and don't have easy access there's a lot of ways to get around this to get the price more reasonable. Hell the thieves aren't even making close to the amount you've been quoted.

Also, I haven't researched this and would probably rig something but there's a company that makes a security plate to deter thieves (depending on area/noise/time these guys steal these fast but might make them move to another car):

https://www.torquenews.com/8113/stop-catalytic-converter-theft-toyota-prius-new-protective-sheild

If you have any questions let me know, but If you have access to basic tools I don't see this being that bad of an install. And, if you have more than liability insurance on the car or other insurance it's worth checking if it's covered (already mentioned but you should definitely check)

Let me put it this way... Even at $1600 they're still ripping you off

#8 CCity Zero, Dec 24, 2020
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, OEM catalytic converters typically all have expensive metals (regardless of make/model) and the Prius retains them a lot better so even older cars are targeted.

BamBam likes this.
  10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Palladium prices are no joke the last few years

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Why Hispanic? Out with it

12. glynch

No way was I going to pay $3200 on a 15 yr old car with KBB value of something like $4500, see my post above. BTW a friend of mine living in Montrose says it happening frequently. Actually it was my wife's car and she was frantic to resolve the car issue in 24 hrs so I did the best I could.

Yeah, there are security plates and I discussed it with the Toyota Dealer, though they do not sell them. Dissatisfied Prius owners are trying to pressure Toyota into making the Cats tougher to rip off. The service guy told me that it will be tough as some of the thieves will resort to chain saws if they want them bad enough.

#12 glynch, Dec 24, 2020
  13. glynch

For many years I used to get a no dicker inspection sticker on an old Toyota Camry each year on a trip down to the South Texas border to visit the wife's family.

14. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

This has been happening in the neighborhoods surround us in Austin the past month. The only vehicle I have seen mentioned hit was Prius. Not sure how the hell you get under one of those without flipping it over or a jack.

15. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Sorry for that man but thats not right. I would definitely look info a catshield

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Definitely agree on not wanting to put $3200 in, I guess what I meant is doing it yourself/non-dealer I bet you could get closer to $450/1k - this route though would take time to source the parts etc..

Your friend is right though, and I think w/ how things are going it'll probably be back to a more common crime - especially now that more thieves are looking for cars like yours to get the most value. On a side note, Over the years working on cars I've never had consistent luck recycling converters ... Like if I took the time to maybe cut/punch them... But these metal/recycle shops have really upped the effort/lowered the price even though the metal has increased in price, so the thieves probably have better access to moving them quickly. Like one shop I went to around Austin recently was trying to give me like $10-15 per... When they used to give like $75-200+ I just think it's interesting when you legitimately have legal catalytic converters and the thieves still have the easiest access to selling them.

Anyway, if you do get a new Prius, you should still look at the metal plate/something similar to at least deter them. Some of these guys are so fast though that I'm honestly not sure if this would really guarantee much but it might still be worth a try. Then again with the new car you will probably have higher insurance that'll cover this and can always add the plate later.

I walked away before posting and saw your update, yeah these thieves don't mess around and will use what they need to be fast

#16 CCity Zero, Dec 24, 2020
  17. glynch

Yeah, homeowners won't cover it, but comprehensive auto will I believe.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, comprehensive should.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

I keep reading about this happening in Galveston

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yeah this is happening like crazy in the greater Houston area. They took the same part of two of my business vehicles last week