1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden Cabinet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 7, 2020.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This really made me happy. Tapping a Native to Interior is how things should be, no one should understand the importance of conservancy more. Well done Biden.

ElPigto likes this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Andrew Yang needs a seat somewhere. I'll be a little annoyed if he doesn't have a role in this administration.

ElPigto, myco, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I love the interior sec pick but Biden needs to be super careful about these House Dem picks. I hope people realize that if heaven forbid a couple House Dems get Covid and have to be absent from voting it could give House Repugs a short window to force a vote and make Gym Jordan Speaker of the House or something.

Even if they only hold the House for 48 hours they could do a ton of damage in a short period of time. Especially if it came around the Jan 6th timeframe.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Amazing the difference a competent President can and will make...

adoo, Nook, Dubious and 1 other person like this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Labor secretary would be a solid fit but at least give him a seat at the table.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I have Robert Reich on my Twitter. He posts the smartest most insightful policy initiatives that would help American workers.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That was the lowest of low bar to follow, so...

One important key is re-opening of school. Biden wants to re-open majority of schools if funding is provided for protection. Not for closure just for closure. Not for re-opening just to re-open. Looking forward to sensible and data driven recommendation and policies.

As Biden eyes Cardona for education secretary, focus is on how he handled school reopening (ctmirror.org)

“If Congress provides the funding we need to protect students, educators, and staff; if states and cities put strong public health measures in place that we all follow, then my team will work to see that a majority of our schools can be open by the end of my first 100 days,” Biden said during a Dec. 8 press conference.

Although Cardona has repeatedly said he believes all the state’s K-12 schools should reopen, he has so far resisted calls to order superintendents to hold in-person classes. Instead, his department has issued a plethora of guidance for district leaders to follow so they can open their doors, and used federal pandemic aid to buy masks, plexiglass, and other protective equipment schools need to open safely. The administration has also allocated federal funds to purchase laptops and internet access so that every student has the ability to learn from home.

Cardona has also used the public spotlight to call out the “education emergency” school closures are causing, releasing data that shows the state’s most disadvantaged students are missing twice as much remote school as their peers attending in-person and only 4% of the students attending the state’s 10 lowest-performing districts are being offered the opportunity to attend in-person learning full time. The administration has also tracked COVID-19 cases in districts throughout the state, which Cardona regularly points to as proof that the virus is not spreading in schools.

“Closing schools alone would not reduce the mitigation strategies, would not reduce the transmission risk in other places,” Cardona said during an interview in November, adding that transmission might even worsen if thousands of kids are at home or in the community. “In school, we know that students have their mitigation strategies, like distancing and facial coverings. There’s no way to ensure that’s happening outside of school when they’re not with us… What we’re learning… it’s families in already challenged communities that are under-resourced, that need more support. So by doing these things, we’re not only bringing the issue up, we’re using that to guide whatever resources we distribute.”

8. myco

myco Contributing Member

I recently read somewhere he is exploring running for mayor of NYC.

CometsWin likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's amazing that you and your kind think people are defined by one single thing on their resume and therefor that disqualifies them.

Why is that he will undoubtedly be upping his monetary value?

If this is so why would he leave the corporate world when he undoubtedly has Bidens ear?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah because she is undoubtedly a psychopath. :rolleyes:

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He might be worse than a Trumper. he is in his mind is pure progressive and having any corporate job means you are evil.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is a real question if political leaders who start unnecessary wars are actually psychopaths. I would argue that while history has not been particularly kind to the "Good Germans" the vast majority of the troops and civilians who support those wars are just following the herd. You could argue that your official is just following the herd of striving bureaucrats who are just trying to get along.

Well, "undoubtedly" is a strong word. There is a fairly well know practice referred to as the "revolving door" in which people go back and forth between industry to government to industry throughout their careers often ending their work life extremely well paid in industry. Many find this unsavory at best for example finance folks going to the SEC regulating their previous finance friends or ex Congress Persons who go directly to very well paid jobs lobbying their recent Congressional buddies . In fact your General had to get an exemption attempting to slow down the "revolving door" of very high ranking military officers like him from working in the Pentagon for 7 years.

13. Major

Major Member

joshuaao, Amiga, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

The lack of Andrew Yang makes me a disgruntled Biden voter. Oh well.

Andre0087 likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

So you want Andrew Yang to do something he doesn't want to do ... just because?

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. glynch

Sincerely doubt Yang will be appointed. Turns out Yang supported Sanders in 2016. Recently he has been making some statements that sound too progressive for Biden.

17. glynch

Made me happy, too. So good to see a progressive Native American in this position.

18. glynch

Better for sure, but being better than Trump in itself is such a low bar.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

CometsWin, Amiga and No Worries like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Good for him. I’m a fan of Yang and I think he should get some experience governing or legislating. He isn’t quality for a cabinet position as much as he was qualify for the presidency (yes I know that may seem strange).