1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Green cut over rookies?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Dec 16, 2020.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope he will go to a ECF team. It's too bad that he was cut. I would have taken him over Bruno.

2. saleem

Unfortunately, yes. I wasn't thinking about the Sixers when I wrote, I hope he goes to a ECF team.

Chasing_Chase likes this.
  3. saleem

He is already on a guaranteed contract.

RustyHarden likes this.
  4. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I went to summer school at Gulf Shores Academy with Green. He's a real one. He should only take more money elsewhere if we fully rebuild. Expect him back

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Because the Union negotiated automatic protection for basketball-related injuries. The right to full compensation after such injury is only for that season the injury occurred. So often, this is not an issue, because all contacts become fully guaranteed in January. Also, it’s only guaranteed for that year for the length of the injury. So an ankle sprain doesn’t lock in the whole year.

Side note: For training camp invitees, there is an “Exhibit 9” (amendments) to eliminate the guarantee due to injury on a contract by contract basis. This is for 1yr min contacts only, limited to 6 per team. Clemons was a 3yr contract, so this Exhibit wasn’t allowed.

D-rock, francis 4 prez and saleem like this.
  7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Not sure if trolling or serious ... :confused:

#HoustonProudMattressMac
    #HoustonProudGeraldGreen

D-rock, TimDuncanDonaut and B-Bob like this.
  8. Chasing_Chase

Chasing_Chase Member

100% serious bro. I love Green.

Even though we don’t use either one all too often, it’s always nice to know they’re there.

#148 Chasing_Chase, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    D-rock, B-Bob and BamBam like this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Contract becoming guaranteed I get, that’s only fair, but he shouldn’t count as an active player and the NBA should give us an exemption just like Warriors got for Klay. Then we could’ve used that money to sign Green..

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You’re not following.

We aren’t even at our max roster size. The problem is we will go over the hardcap if we pay both Green and Clemons. It has nothing to do with Roster Size and number of active players, etc. and it has nothing to do with the Disabled Player Exception. We can get that, but we can’t spend it.

we don’t have enough room under the Hard Cap to use the exception nor pay both Clemons and Green.

and we can’t stretch provision Clemons, either, because the deadline to do that already passed.

if we weren’t Hard Capped by the Wood SnT, what you are saying becomes relevant. But that not this Team’s reality.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  11. bj3175

bj3175 Member

In a world of selfishness. Its a blessing when you have Sports heroes Like Gerald that Love the People more than the notoriety. The Locker room will be a little dim without him being there. When James situation is resolved I am sure they bring him back.

D-rock likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

he was on a non guaranteed deal. he probably would have just gotten cut if he didn't get hurt and green would probably be on the team

For many NG'teed contracts, if the player sustains a basketball-related injury while playing for the team, his salary is g'teed until he's healthy. Which is the case with clemons

D-rock and saleem like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

In theory, could the Rockets apply for an injury exception to remove Clemons contract of their cap to allow them to sign an additional player or two? Seems like extenuating circumstances.

Edit: Just realized you answered this earlier. Feel free to ignore.

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i don't agree with this move. unless we aren't trying to win games this year because gerald would win us a few games with his barrage of 3s off the bench.

15. saleem

I stand corrected. Thanks.

16. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

17. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Anybody know how he could come back if possible?

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Silas earning some serious points here, realising how much Green means to Houston and us fans. This man understands humanity, empathy and what it means to be a coach. I’ll support this man in Houston no matter what!!

19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

after a trade and an empty roster spot

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Green >>> Coboclo