1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ben Simmons Jump shots compilation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Floor spacing is king in the NBA, I could see stone flipping this guy. Unless our floor spacing bigs can make teams pay for packing the paint when he brings the ball up court. That is Tough for 7 games.

napalm06 likes this.
  3. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

If simmons is sooo freakin good, why couldn't he win a championship with him butler and embiid? Shouldn't that of at least achieved reaching the NBA finals?

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Offensively Ben is making up moves on the fly.

Just embarrassing he is in the NBA.

5. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

During his time with the Rockets, in the playoffs, Harden has averaged over 28 points a game, over 7 assists a game, nearly 6 rebounds a game and nearly 2 steals per game. The only thing that truly dips his 3pt %..... and that doesn't drop by much, considering how many 3pt shots he takes.

The whole narrative of Harden not performing in the playoffs is old as hell. He actually performs great. Yeah, he's had a few stinkers... but so have other great players. Harden gets singled out because people don't like his style of play.

mario_v, Jayzers_100 and RustyHarden like this.
  6. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Because he can't shoot. It'll be easy to play against someone like Simmons in the playoffs. Just give him all the shots in the world and clog the paint. He also doesn't score that many points.

If we trade Harden for Simmons, it'll be a massive downgrade.... and I don't care how young he is and if he's a beast in the paint. If he doesn't know how to shoot, he's going to be useless for a team that doesn't have good shooters.

7. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Right on the money!

vlaurelio likes this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah with 20 shots coupled with 7 turnovers.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It’s going to end up being Simmons or Harden on this team this year.

Simmons has only played three years in the NBA. For reference. Harden had played the same amount of time in OKC as a 6 man but had never made an Allstar game, Simmons has made 2. Simmons is already ALL NBA and 1st ALL DEFENSE. You don't get that kind of talent in a trade even with a superstar going out. You also don't get that kind of talent locked up for five years at age 24! The year he did make the ALL STAR TEAM? Yea he was rookie of the year. There is a reason Morey, who freaking loves Harden can publicly say he's not trading Simmons despite being a pathological liar and 90% of the 76ers fanbase believes him.

He's not a finished product and he has one glaring flaw. He knows he has that flaw and he works his ass off on it. IF he comes here, no one will complain about his shot. You don't think Stephen Silas, the guy who helped unlocked Luka, Steph and Kemba would love to have a shot with a 24 year old who is already top 20?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

guess who else averages 20 shots in the playoffs for his career

and not sure where you pulled that 7 turnover average from

#30 vlaurelio, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

If Triple Chin pulls this off he will go down as one of the all-time GM greats!!!!!

I’ve seen enough!
    We need Simmons for the new Rockets Culture!
    Not for his basketball abilities.

Get’er done Stoney!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's frustrating watching Simmons because he is a serviceable jump shot away from being the best player in the NBA.

He is well above average or elite at literally everything else on the court. On top of that his size for a PG allows for an absurdly wide variety of players he can play alongside. But as long as he can be completely ignored on the perimeter he will top out at really good.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Watching his herky-jerky shot, it's almost like someone told him he's left-handed, but he's actually right-handed.

I'm right-handed but I think I can shoot better with my left than Simmons. :oops:

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Dangit. Didnt we just get rid of a guy who did those, that we never should've gotten in the first place.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Shooting is such a critical part of the 2020 game. If you assigned weights to skills it would be near the top. Its not enough for fans to simply say he's good at everything else if shooting is 30% of a PGs game. Then the max he will ever be is 70% of what you want.

We just watched the Westbrook experiment fail in such epic fashion that I actively wanted the Rockets to lose in half of the games I watched where the other team crowded the paint and Westbrook danced around passing to covered shooters or fans on the first row.

Id rather have someone that can shoot. Its an entry level requirement. Like I'm hiring a software engineer and someone tells me its OK, he's brilliant but he can't read.

The jury is even out on whether John Wall can be effective in a Rockets-Silas system. He is the average shooting, top flight passer with below average defense vs Bens bottom shooting top flight passing excellent defense. I guess it will be interesting to see how Wall does.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I generally agree with this idea, but I think you're overstating it. Duncan Robinson (the best at shooting and worst at defense) is still much less valuable than Simmons, and I love Robinson. But there are other Robinsons out there, though not as good: McLemore, Green, Seth Curry, JJ Reddick (the OG)...they all get paid much less than Simmons on every team.

I was not a fan of the Westbrook trade, but his biggest problems were not just his shooting limitations, but also his decision-making on how to deal with those limitations when his shot is particularly off, and also injuries. Westbrook can succeed more if he has a Chris Paul basketball brain. I don't have an informed opinion on Ben Simmons' basketball brain, but it seems like Simmons is smarter than Westbrook.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Simmons isn't WB.... or Chuck Hayes like someone else said. Simmons still averages +30% assist rate despite of not being able to shot and still scores efficiently on low volume. I can understand why the "WB experiment" gave posters PTSD, but that's just a simple take. Simmons wouldn't be on the table if he wasn't that good at running an offense and that much of a defensive force.

I'd rather have someone who can shot too, but that type of franchise player is most likely unavailable. Therefore, you are either stuck building around a lower tiered franchise player and hope he improves/you can build a team around him or you gamble you can aggregate a bunch of players/picks to trade up or gamble you hit on a draft pick. It's a gamble either way and I prefer a bird in the hand than two in the bush.

Kim likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

It's night and day. The Sixers are my other team (being a Houston native and sports fan I've had to follow other teams to help shield the pain that is Houston sports) and Simmons is truly an enigma. What Simmons isn't is a taller Russell Westbrook. Simmons has Harden-esque bball IQ with or without the balls in his hands. He isn't some super off ball player in constant movement, but he knows when to cut and slash to generate an easy bucket for himself or help his teammates. The shot is obviously awful and a major concern but he's always affecting the game for the better regardless if he has the ball in his hands or playing defense or running some off ball action.

Kim likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Up there with the HE DOESN'T PLAY DEFENSE

All those narratives go away once he leaves Houston.

Rocket River

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think the block helped change that narrative, but that narrative crap should not matter when dealing with true front office professionals.