1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BEN SIMMONS IS ON THE MENU.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Dec 17, 2020.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The fact that Ben Simmons is available...at 24, says a lot to me.

He's the best player out there for sure but his skillset makes him hard to build around.

2. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

This is the #1 problem. I don't see how he would fit into this offense frankly. Would he play alongside Wall? How good is he off ball? In theory he could be a nice flex-4, but without a jump shot he will just clog the lane against guys who can outrebound him. His top skill is passing and vision, but then he'll need the ball in his hands a lot which will take away from Wall who needs the ball too but is a better offensive threat.

clutchdabear and Jayzers_100 like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I think John Wall is what makes it a hard fit, otherwise building around Simmons is putting scorers and shooters around him.

JayGoogle likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest and BigShasta like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You sounds like that's easy. We haven't been able to get good shooters around Hardens for years.

clutchdabear, Deckard and YOLO like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

7. dmoneybangbang

We were also trying to build a defense that complimented Harden. I think Harden ran an elite offense and scored at an elite clip, while I think Simmons is capable of doing the former while being an elite defensive switching anchor.

Aside from John Wall, which is a big impediment due to the contact, this current Rockets roster is at a good starting point to build around Simmons. I think EGO (if healthy) would be a much better fit next to Simmons than Harden plus we have Bmac's, House, Boogey's shooting. Woods is still a big x-factor but that could potentially lead to a ton of potent two man game between Woods and Simmons.

I don't think building around Simmons is as hard as it seems. Yes, we would love to pair a Beal type shooter/creator next to Simmons, but the same was true of Harden. Maybe in a different reality we'd be starting this season with CP3/Simmons/Woods.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Oh definitely. If it weren't for Wall you could just have Ben be your PG and run EGO out there with him no issues especially with two bigs that can shoot in Wood and Cousins.

I still think his lack of versatility makes it harder to build around than say Luka, Zion, any other under 25 year old star who none of those teams are thinking about moving.

9. dmoneybangbang

Simmons is an enigma. As I've said in other places, I wouldn't ever expect him to develop a 3 point shoot and I'd just be happy if he could shoot +70% from the FT line. I just watch him and the size, playmaking, and defense are just that good to where he is foundational/franchise piece. To your point, he isn't the top tier franchise/foundational pieces.

treyk3 likes this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

11. lionaire

lionaire Member

I just discovered that Simmons is represented by Klutch, the grimiest, shiestiest and most disruptive agency in the game. This changes everything.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

so is John Wall.

They are super talented and are changing the power of players. They are important to the history of the NBA.

We can become a place that becomes a benefactor of Klutch and Rich Paul.

It would be glorious.

They aren't going anywhere. IT would be awesome to be on their good side.

Dan Fegan (RIP) hated Morey and loved Cuban (until they had a falling out) and it caused a ton of issues for years.

Rudyc281 and lionaire like this.
  13. lionaire

lionaire Member

And Ben Mac :D

But you're absolutely right. They're becoming The Mob of the NBA and as an org, you most certainly want to be on their good side.

Rudyc281 and treyk3 like this.
  14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Exactly. I think stone and Silas know this and I think it’s why the Rockets have not pulled the trigger.
    I just don’t think you can win in the nba today with a ball handler like Simmons.

malakas and Mr. Space City like this.
  15. JW86

JW86 Member

Let’s hope this only helps Raptors to up their bid.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

no wonder he isn't mentioned anywhere on the GM survey :oops:

Mr. Space City likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is a prime example. Ironically who hits the big shot to put them ahead lol. And Simmons wants nothing to do with the ball. He merely wants to inbound it and get away. This is who some folks want to be your franchise player in houston.

18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't believe anything Morey says about trades until they happen. We Rockets fans should know. And Stone knows too.

malakas and Richie_Rich like this.
  20. HardenVolumeOne

this is what I’m hoping