1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[If Available] Herro or Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Herro or Simmons?

1. Herro

189 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Simmons

327 vote(s)
    64.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. YOLO

YOLO Member

bingo. another overlooked point where a super max salary is off books in a miami scenario. while phillys you're taking in a fresh max. don't worry though. you magically add talent somehow per cf's. just look at the resume for harden in nearly the decade hes been here. simmons that will be no problem!

clutchdabear likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

obviously. however you're running out of westbrick's to trade for on a supermax with 3 years remaining. The rockets are essentially stuck with him for the foreseeable future. So basically, get used to him for a good while

3. dmoneybangbang

We are going to be stuck with Wall in a theoretical Herro trade.... It's a better fit with a lower ceiling, Kevin Martin era 2.0. At least we would have better talent this time, but the West is going to be another very competitive conference.

With Herro, the hope would be to pull off a Harden like trade by aggregating assets but we hoping lightning strikes twice?

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Simmons isn’t some 1st option tho...he’s really like a playmaking 3rd option because he simply doesn’t score that much and because of his glaring flaw

Ben Simmons has played 217 games, and his career high is a whopping 34 points

he’s scored over 30 just 5 times, and the vast majority of his games are within the 10-19 point range...Idk what else u call that other than a playmaking 3rd option who will need shooters and bucket getters around him at all times

Simmons will give u immediate ROI because he’s already established...he’ll come here, and we know he’ll give us his 16, 8, and 8 because that’s what he’s been doing his whole career...in the playoffs, they will take advantage of his unwillingness to even shoot, let alone his inability to even hit a shot, and he’ll put up Draymond Green-esque statlines

neither Herro or Simmons are foundational pieces u build around, the difference to me is that one can shoot, will fit with anyone, and basically just started his rookie deal while the other can’t shoot a lick and needs a specific type of team around him

people keep acting like Herro isnMt all that skilled and is just a shooter...he’s not gonna run your offense or average 28-30, but I see no reason why Tyler Herro couldn’t do 21, 5, and 6 on 44/38/87 shooting splits in the future for example

clutchdabear, cmoak1982 and YOLO like this.
  5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Those salaries are way off......Simmons is only 30 mil, Gordon 17 mil....20 pints a game for Wall....20 points a game for simmons....and both Gordon and simmons 18-10 points a night

6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This is Simmons 4th year we will score 20 point and 9 rebounds and 9 assist a game this year

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

they keep wanting to put him in a box as a Duncan Robinson type...Duncan Robinson is a 1 dimensional offensive player, not Herro...Herro is skilled, but he’s still a pup in this league on a veteran team looking to win a title, so he’s playing his role

no one is saying he’ll blow up like Harden if given more of an opportunity, but he can clearly do more than 14 points and 2 assists will tell u

clutchdabear and YOLO like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think "who is the better player?" is the right question to ask when you trade your franchise player. The question should be "do we get a franchise player back?" or "who will be our next franchise player?"

Herro is not a franchise player, IMO. But he is a rookie and if he is not your #1 option, you probably won't give him a max contract when his rookie deal is up. In short, if you get Herro, you have your freedom to look for another guy as your franchise player in the next two years.

If you get Simmons, you are betting on him as your guy. He is signed to the max for 5 years. Are you confident that he is the kind of player that will lead you to contend for a title? I think it's a huge gamble because of his shooting deficiency.

So either way, you are gambling. (1) Hope that Simmons will turn out to be the best player of a championship caliber team, or (2) get a few promising young players and nice assets from Miami and hope that those will turn into a bona fide franchise player.

There are only a handful of players who you want to trade Harden straight up. I don't see any team with that kind of player willing to do that. So the second best is to gamble for young talents or picks.

clutchdabear and YOLO like this.
  9. riko

riko Member

Harden is 34-8-8 with a trillion double teams a night. That is why the Rockets will be lucky to find another Harden in the next decade or two

#949 riko, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Ahh so basically a better shooting version of Andrew Wiggins or Demar Derozen?

Herro showed amazing flashes in his first season and in the playoffs but let's not forget it was one season. He's got promise but if he is the centerpiece in a trade for Harden then that is a monumental L for Houston. You're not even getting 50 cents on the dollar for Harden.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its a gamble. I appreciate the enthusiasm as a fan you may have, im not a Simmons Stan or anything like that, but this hypothetical just seems like a lose/lose for the team in anything involving a Harden deal. How is Miami going to make the money work? Who is the 3rd team that gets involved? Seems like a more convoluted acquisition, whereas the money with Simmons lends itself to this type of trade, but then you have to take into account the possible disdain Fertitta could hold for Morey which could make a Philly deal moot.

Id wait til the trade deadline unless Harden goes full cancer. Gun to my head in Simmons vs Herro I'd have to go Simmons just for the intangibles.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Would you trade Harden for Ja Morant?

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Demar Derozan could shoot the three, especially at a 38% clip on good volume, he would be much more highly regarded...same with Wiggins

every trade mentioned for Harden is a monumental L...none of the dudes mentioned will ever hold his jockstrap

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

True. If optics is important then Simmons could on paper at least make a Harden trade palatable. Rookie of the Year, All NBA defense. there are skins on the wall so to speak. With Herro your gambling. Will he be the next Ray Allen or Kyle Korver? I dont know enough about his game to die on hill admonishing him, I just want whats the best fit for the team and if it came down to Simmons or Herro I just feel Simmons could offer more positives outside of shooting than Herro can offer outside of shooting.

I dont think you get Simmons here as "the guy" ... he would be 2nd or 3rd option IMO. He could handle the ball in conjunction with Wall, he could defend any position on the floor, he can rebound. If Herro isnt shooting well what else is he going to do for you?

D-rock likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden before he came to Houston though....

Playoffs (Regular season stats were similar)

1st season 7.7 ppg
    2nd 13 ppg in 32 minutes
    3rd 16 in 32 minutes

He won't explode like Houstonian Harden though, I am pretty sure about that because nobody could but you could improve on those numbers.

clutchdabear likes this.
  16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

He's not Harden, won't be as good as Harden. His reach ceiling might be like Ray Allen. Great shooter, high bball iq, savvy with the ball, and super active off the ball.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Miami has the contracts to make a trade work salary-wise by adding Olynyk’s expiring and Iggy who has a Team Option after this season as salary filler (so basically an expiring as well) to go along with Herro, Nunn, Robinson, etc

I’d definitely wait on a Harden trade as well just to see what else pops up

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nobody is saying he’s harden. None of the rumored potential deals are close to his value and none will ever be

clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Harden and Herro were completely different players in college. Harden was drafted higher because of his measurements and his playmaking. Herro played a similar role in Miami as Kentucky.

steddinotayto likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Add to that the fact that Harden's skillset in OKC dwarfs what Herro has shown thus far, including his bubble performance. I love Herro but Harden showed tremendous potential in OKC whereas Herro hasn't.

D-rock likes this.