1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[If Available] Herro or Simmons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Dec 10, 2020.

?

Herro or Simmons?

1. Herro

189 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. Simmons

327 vote(s)
    64.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dmoneybangbang

Different situation.

Simmons is objectively better than Herro.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If herro is the move then I hope we pair him with another sniper and create a poor mans splash bros then

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

and cp3 was objectively better than westbrick... no it's not a different situation. it just shows how much of this board fails to properly evaluate players.

simmons is a non shooter playing on the perimeter in an era where teams can just pack the paint playing zone. i kept thinking simmons could play a jkidd role.. but even jkidd shot low 30s from the 3 early in his career. and up until early 2000s, teams were required to play man def, so not being able to shoot wasn't so disastrous.

if your franchise player is getting the westbrick treatment and being left wide open on the perimeter, your team is ****ed. i know simmons has much higher iq and better decision making than your hero westbrick, but in the playoffs, teams are still gonna just pack the paint and play 4 on 5 with simmons on the team. except now instead of harden u have john wall, who also isn't a consistent threat from the perimeter.

u guys who are voting for ben simmons are basically voting that a simmons/wall team can win the championship in the next 2-3 yrs. and if they don't, then simmons is likely gone before his contract ends.

#903 clutchdabear, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    RustyHarden, RasaqBoi, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

The relationship between Harden and WB was in the calculus along with CP3's health. Pretty sure not many people liked the actual basketball fit.

Maybe you should watch Philly and how they actually play.... go watch the 2018 playoff series. It seems like you are just assuming Simmons is WB. Philly doesn't stand around like how OKC and the Rockets do, they incorporate a lot of off ball movement and slashing to accentuate Simmon's playmaking strengths.

Philly's 2019 season had far less spacing and it showed.

Simmon's contract length is a concern.

Herro may never even be good enough to get a max. Both have risks.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Why is Ben's contract a concern? He signed a 5 year extension that goes into effect this season. No options, according to Basketball Reference, which is usually pretty accurate about these things. Simmons would be under contract with Houston for 3 seasons before we'd have to start getting concerned about an extension, in my opinion. Sounds pretty solid to me.

I agree that Simmons doesn't compare to Westbrook. Westbrook can't sniff his shoes.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

I was totally mixed up, you are right. It's the complete opposite of a concern.

Deckard likes this.
  7. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

u do know that all that "off ball movement and slashing" means **** if the other team plays a zone or just switches everything on defense right? it's bound to happen in the playoffs when u meet teams that actually give a **** and know what they're doing. did u not watch the 2018 wcf at all? even the one team with the best off ball movement in nba history was forced to play iso for the whole series with the rockets switching everything on defense.

if u argue that philly's 2019 team had far less spacing, then i wouldn't want to be the coach that has to find ways to create spacing with john wall and ben simmons sharing the floor.

and it's not so much that simmons' contract length is a concern. it's the fact that he takes so much of the cap already that it's going to be hard to make any significant changes to the team we currently have. we'd essentially just be replacing harden with simmons... is there anyone who honestly thinks we're competing for a championship replacing harden with simmons? but it's gotta be championship or bust in the next 3 yrs with simmons bc without a ring, u can bet that klutch is gonna push simmons into LA before his contract ends in 5 yrs if rockets aren't legit contenders. then we're back to square one all over again, but instead of harden, we have a guy in simmons with serious flaws in his game, with an agent who is even more agenda driven and likely pushing for one team only. good luck trying to get fair value out of that trade.

with the miami package, u get herro who is likely under team control for the next 7-8 yrs and cap space either to take on bad contracts and receive more draft capital or to sign a max free agent or two. if/when we end up having to trade harden, i prefer having the potential of herro on top of more cap flexibility considering we're not legit title contenders without harden

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Dumb take.

He's 20 and was the best player on the floor for his team. The Pelicans were at full strength playing their best players 30+ minutes.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not concern myself with preseason results .

D-rock, J.R. and clutchdabear like this.
  11. Miragedassault

At the end of the day none of these two bozos will ever be James Harden

D-rock likes this.
  12. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

HA, exactly. I didn't raise the tweet mentioning a preseason game. How do you feel about post-season?

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good, breh.

I watched the bubble and it was competitive and fun.

The Rockets will make some trades at deadline, we'll see then.

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

shooting matters in this league. Herro would keep us fluid in roster moves over the next few years. simmons requires specific players on the court for us to be successful. We'd also likely get more picks from miami.

btw - why cant we get a three team deal going? - screw picks - get simmons AND herro. then we'd control their rights for quite some time and build around them.

Easy likes this.
  15. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't buy Tyler Herro as a potential franchise player. His most likely long-term outcome is an average starter with potential to have a few big games, a la Jamal Crawford. I'll take Simmons every time, who is a game-changing creator and defender even if his shot is exploitable by good defenses.

D-rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How is Miami going to get close to the aggregate salary for a trade? Which 3rd team is just dying to help them win another ring? Also if you look at each players rookie year - Simmons outperformed Herro in every single metric except 3 point shooting. Herro to me almost seems one dimensional on offense and to think it would be enough for a James Harden haul is eyebrow raising. Simmons is clearly the superior player currently and Herro would be a roll of the dice in what he could become. Will Fertitta want to deal with Morey? I have my doubts.

there will be better packages available at the trade deadline - everyone just needs to stay professional especially James and remind the hoops world who he is once the season starts and get the hype train moving. He'll get his wish and the Rockets will get the deal that most benefits the team. Tyler Herro singularly does nothing for the current Houston roster.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'm also leaning to Herro but he alone is not enough. Herro, Bam, Duncan, Picks, if I'm Stone I need 3 out of those 4 at a minimum.

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Herro + Bam +( 2) 1st round unprotected Picks gets it done. You’ll need a 3rd team because of Bam’s new contract status “ poison pill” butt it can be done.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

One dimensional on offense how? Are u putting him in a box as a low skill 3 point shooter?

YOLO likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

apart from highlights and a few of the finals game I cant say im a Tyler Herro expert like some others here, so just judging by a small eye test and the stat line for his year I have to say that a guy who is creating 2 assists per game isnt really a play maker for others? Or is that too bold? Compare that to the 8 assists per game Simmons generated his rookie year and its a pretty wide gap dont you think? His defense is awful, but so are most rookies so I wont use that as a hyper critical observation.

If the argument was who is the better shooter it would be a no brainer. If the argument is who is the better all around player it is a no brainer. What do the Rockets want?