1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul on How The Houston Rockets Almost Beat The Golden State Warriors in The WCF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 9, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

cf's was so extremely excited about ennis, mcw, melo. the threads prove it. Those were your replacement players. They went dirt cheap and got exactly what they paid for. Absolute scrubs

D-rock, harold bingo and HP3 like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

they should’ve just re-signed him...it’s not like he was asking for a 4/60 deal, but nah, a championship caliber team must not pay LT

we saw who they had in mind...Ennis, and Melo lol

it’s not like we got cap space with Ariza’s departure or had some young guy ready to blow up if given more of an opportunity

took us 2 whole years to finally replace Ariza, and now we’re still searching now that Covington has been traded

3. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

this is probably too late in the game but what does I.d.i.o.t. Stand for? Forgive me for me ignorance

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

it deserves its own thread

5. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

thanks for the assist @J.R.!

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Which was/very well could have been the case and that goes back to our inept/inexperience ownership. At any rate, I appreciated what CP3 did for this team during his time here. When he was in the game during crunch time I felt better about our chances than when it was only Harden.

D-rock, HP3 and plates300 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Agreed. I want to ask....i know you think 15 mil for Ariza is an overpay, but do you think maybe we could have worked out a sign and trade deal to get assets back in?

8. noppeper

noppeper Member

This just means that you are underrating what Ariza brought to the team. The reason there was no viable contingency is because guys like Ariza are not that easy to find. He is a championship role player, a guy you could count on when things get rough in the playoffs and others wilt.

You see it now with Tucker also; a lot of peeps here underrate him as well. Having both of them (along with LMM for most of the reg season) was a big factor to our success, much bigger than a lot give credit to.

As others have pointed out, the fact that Ariza's contract still proved to be a positive asset is the empirical evidence that the Rockets screwed up and just adds salt to the wounds of those of us that thought it was a bad move not to resign him.

DVauthrin, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

One of the greatest teams of all time going up against and even greater team of all time plus the officials. Life as a Rockets fan can be extremely unfair.

Fixed it for ya!

D-rock likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

That summer was wild because I didn't see any team having the need/want to offer Ariza $15 million let alone the Phoenix Suns. Of course I would hope Morey explored S&T scenarios where Houston would get at least something in return for Ariza but maybe Ariza and his agents were like "**** it. We're not going to do Houston any favors".

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

he was such a big part of the team tho...in a vacuum, he’s not a 15 mil level player, but it’s for 1 year...it would be 1 thing if he was asking for 15 mil/yr for multiple years

all it costs u is LT payments, but for some reason avoiding the LT and repeater tax took precedent over winning a title...Tilman thought he could purchase meat from the 99c store and still have the same great meal

even with that terrible attempt at an Ariza replacement in Ennis, we just ended up giving him away for nothing, and from the article about the trade we get this

The Rockets, who will create a $1.6 million trade exception with the deal, are inching their way closer to getting under the luxury tax. The Rockets save $2.4 million with the trade and are now $2.4 million above the tax threshold.

imagine you’re Harden, and with the majority of moves the team is making, it’s about reducing cost

12. macan

macan Member

I'll never forget the first season CP was with us..that was such a fun team to watch night in and night out

13. steddinotayto

Maybe both of you guys are right--maybe I did underrate Ariza's presence. If you asked me then how much would I have paid Ariza to stay I would have said no more than $12 million. Of course that's just a few million below $15 that it becomes an act of splitting hairs at that point but I honest-to-God thought Ariza's value on the open market was around $12 million. I should have known better given role players get overpaid every offseason.

noppeper and D-rock like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Bottom line: If you have a team that came within an untimely injury of knocking off the dynasty, you keep ALL the key pieces and look for other ways to upgrade.

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, don't disagree. As I said, when other teams do this, they have a replacement in mind. Here, we didn't. So, we saved money, but got worse. If you're going to do that, you need to save money, but get better (cheaper actual replacement, plus shore up somewhere else).

They were (over) reacting to Game 6. Couldn't score. So, they wanted to add somebody who could. Ignoring the entire rest of the season, to focus on the outlier game at the end.

Conversely, look at what the Mavs are doing. They looked at not just what happened in their playoff series, but throughout the whole year, and brought in a lot of new bodies to correct it, likely all without impacting their offensive efficiency much, if at all. Which is what the Rockets had been doing previously, then they just changed. Has Tilman's fingerprints all over it.

D-rock, HP3 and Reeko like this.
  16. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Sure if you say so. ;)

HP3 likes this.
  17. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

MAN that iq..........

fchowd0311 and DVauthrin like this.
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I miss Chris. :(

DVauthrin, HP3 and linvetb6 like this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

CP3 was partly to blame, taking that big ass contract at his age even though he knew Ariza wanted his pay day. You can also blame Tilman for not paying the huge tax but most owners wouldn't have paid that tax.

Yep, losing Ariza and Luc without proper replacements really screwed us the next season and then Harden got impatient.

If we had that healthy CP3 last year we would've been in a better position to win (provided we found a replacement for an injured Capela).

D-rock and linvetb6 like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I remember when we were on that 17 game winning streak and went into Toronto where they were 28-4 at home, and their crowd was treating it like a playoff game...down for most of the night, we came back and had a chance to tie at the end

damn I miss that year

*sheds tear