1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update: WSJ: Everyone's moving to Texas: Cali to Texas , U Haul champs back to back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Dec 4, 2020.

?

Why Cali folk moving down to the Lone Star state?

1. Taxes

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. business friendly

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Politics

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Can't get a table at French Laundry while Newson and the SF mayor can

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. virus lockdown

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. their favorite basketball team, the Houston Rockets and Clutchfans are there

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why??

Psychic spies from China try to steal your mind's elation
    And little girls from Sweden dream of silver screen quotation
    And if you want these kind of dreams it's Californication
    It's the edge of the world and all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East at least it's settled in a final location
    It's understood that Hollywood sells Californication

Dubious likes this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The Chinese are doing a lot but it ain't that bro...

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Of course, they are moving to Texas.

They don't have to be a state politician to get a table at the French Laundry

In Texas, you can get a table anywhere

Andre0087 likes this.
  4. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Like a good 5 dollar hooker.

5. IVFL

IVFL Member

It’s pretty simple math really. California is still growing at a pretty good clip when you realize that 1 in 9 Americans live there. Hence, 12% of anyone moving anywhere should be from California. Texas closely resembles the climate of California. So I would assume more Californians would be drawn to Texas.

Everyone likes to complain about California and their policies but if they broke off from the United States they would be the 6th largest economy in the world. With that in mind, for every dollar they give to the federal gov. They get .75 back. My state gets 1.50 back for every dollar given. California with the 6th largest economy in the world makes that possible.

that’s one of the reasons they have higher taxes, they have to make up that deficit somehow. Pay for all of us free loader states that rely on their taxes.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Your state clearly isn't Texas. Nothing wrong with that, just want to point out that in 2016, the most recent year with stats that I found after a quick search, Texas sent the federal government $261 billion in taxes and received $39.5 billion in grants in return. That's according to the state comptroller. I suspect that there are other federal monies sent to Texas in one form or another, but clearly Texas sends out more than is sent in by the federal government.

That's a pretty simplistic stat, in my opinion. Texans are paying for their share of the country's armed forces. That doesn't show up in those statistics. Money flows into Texas to support the federal troops and military installations here. For example, Fort Hood is the largest army base in the world. We have a heck of a lot of our air force in bases within Texas. NASA has a huge installation out at Clear Lake. One could go on.

We are 50 states, as everyone knows, and the most economically powerful will inevitably pump out more taxes than are sent back in. In my opinion. Having said all that, folks from the West Coast are moving to Texas in very large numbers, with a good percentage of them moving to Austin, where we live, and to Central Texas. It's made Austin's real estate increase a great deal compared to the rest of Texas.

Yet while Texans would consider Austin an expensive city were someone is looking to purchase a home, someone from California would see the same city's real estate and see bargains everywhere. In my case, due to my age, our property taxes are lower than that of many of our neighbors. Nice that there is some advantage to getting old. ;-)

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would love for a ton of folks in LA to move to Texas.

hitman1900, B-Bob and tinman like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

God dammit. Austin's pretty much fubar'd already, send 'em to Dallas or Houston or something, please.

Possum, desi tmac91, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

To be closer to switzerlandish olajuwon. Ok guy!

BamBam, King1, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  10. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Naw, house 'em in Austin so we know where to find them.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Because they can't find work in their shitty state. BUILD A WALL.

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

13. GIGO

GIGO Member

tinman likes this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There’s lots of Cali transplants here in DFW. I’ve not met one yet that claimed they didn’t enjoy the West coast. Most of the time they say it was because of a job relocation opportunity. What they most enjoy about the move is the size of home they can get for the money but that’s about it. They all say they miss the weather.

Living in a desirable location always costs more. People love to rag on Cali but nobody says anything about Hawaii where it is probably more blue. I love Texas as much as anyone but I think people get a little ridiculous when they think that everyone should also think Texas is the greatest place on earth... especially when you attribute that greatness to right wing policy. I would say it’s great despite that not because.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Hispanics, oil and gas, ranching, tech and banking sectors originally built in service of large local industries, health care, massive driving culture in contradiction to their large populations. Why did Montgomery Ward and Service Merchandise shoppers start going to Target, or McDuff-ers go to Best Buy?

Hakeemtheking and Nook like this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

17. tinman

Supporting Member

these are California people though moving to Texas .
    I heard they got chili peppers that are red hot

Dubious likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

I do know of these Cali people moving to the lone star state
    They are ones trading in their Prius for Ford F150s

dachuda86 likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

You mean tell them they are in Austin but they are really in cedar park ?

Smart!

20. IVFL

IVFL Member

Federal monies is a lot of things besides grants. There is a reason we are running a deficit. The vast majority of states are taking more than they give. All federal money goes back to the states in one form or another. California is just one of the few that actually gets less than they give. Probably explains some of their tax policy.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/federal-taxes-federal-services-difference-by-state-2019-1

sorry to say but Texas isn’t a net contributor to the federal gov. They get more than they give. My state still beats yours though in the amount we get back vs the amount we give. If my state only got what it gave to the federal gov. there would be a 3,000$ per person shortfall.

Once again 1 in 9 Americans live in California. If you have a similar climate I would say there is a really good chance that you will get someone moving from California. I would also point out that California is still growing. So it’s not like the state is dying or anything.

rockbox, joshuaao, Deckard and 3 others like this.