1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Harden Landing Spots

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Dec 3, 2020.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

IF, after everything the front office has done to this point, Harden still wants out...we have to start having real discussions about where he could be traded and for what type of package.

The question is who are the suitors. It’s easy to say “everyone” because in a sense it’s true, but in reality, the only teams bidding will be those that:

1) think they can win a championship after giving up whatever we demanded in a trade

2) Believe Harden will consider resigning with them.

3) have the assortment of picks and young players we want.

Miami
    Philly
    Boston
    Golden State

Dallas could also fit here, but they wouldn’t trade Luka, so it doesn’t matter.

I have not included Brooklyn. They don’t have the kind of young players we would want, and frankly, I think they are just being used as a convenient sideshow to lower our asking price to legitimate destinations. Also, I think there’s some New York “look at us” stuff going on there with the media.

so what kind of package could we expect from each of these teams?

Miami- Bam Adebayo, Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson. 2025 1st, 2027 1st, swaps in a few other years.

Philly - Ben Simmons, Matisse Thybulle, all picks available except 2025

Boston - Tatum, Brown, all future picks available

GSW- Klay Thompson, Wiseman, Minnesota 2021 1st

This is everything those teams have, not necessarily everything they would offer. I doubt Miami would include all of those young players, or that Boston would make Tatum available.

So the real offers might look like this:

Miami: Herro, Robinson, 2025 1st, 2027 1st, swaps

Philly: Ben Simmons, Matisse Thybulle, all picks and swaps except 2025

Boston: Brown, all picks

GSW - Klay, Wiseman, Minnesota 2021 1st

Of these, Philly and GSW are my favorite.

Don’t be so quick to dismiss GSW. With Klay down for the 2nd season in a row, I could absolutely see them putting him in the deal, Wiseman being a high upside player and that Minnesota pick being one of the more valuable ones on the market. We know they called Houston about Harden before the Thompson injury, and there’s no way Houston would be interested in Wiggins as the core of that trade...Klay would’ve had to have been in it. Houston could either keep Klay or reroute him to another team that’s willing to wait a year.

tmoney1101 and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This gets my vote if we absolutely HAVE to trade Harden. Which I don't want to do.

gatsby, DCHAMP, mikol13 and 11 others like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I've been on the Ben Simmons train..... but I fear keeping him past his contract with Wall on the team. Still the best, attainable package out there to build around ...

joshuaao, Rudyc281 and amaru like this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Boston is not trading Tatum even though Harden is far superior to him, given the age and potential it is not happening. The team to look out for if Giannis stays in Milwaukee might be Miami willing to concentrate their assets on Harden. Herro, Robinson and Olynik type offer.

Brooklyn stuff seems to have evaporated because of the offer. I don’t think he will be traded this season anyway so it’s all a moot point

DCHAMP, Boston84, amaru and 1 other person like this.
  5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Teams will take the risk if they don't think he will re sign with them and they think they could still win in the allowed time frame (Toronto/Kawhi), he is under contract for a bit, so it could be worth the risk for a team that thinks they could compete or worth the risk of convincing him to stay. I can't point to any particular team now, but if a random team makes a playoff push with young players in the East, you never know.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Do what's best for the Rockets....
    F**k Harden...
    Trade his ass to the worst team in the NBA if it gets you the best package.
    He is the main reason we are in this mess..

#6 Rocketman7, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Sadboy, gatsby, deb4rockets and 18 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree, but I hate even discussing it prematurely.

Rudyc281, jch1911 and finsraider like this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

I am somewhat indifferent between the Philly package and GSW package.

The GSW package is the tank hard immediately route. A quick 1-2 year tear down, and we emerge in 2023/2024 loaded with talent.

The Philly route is definitely smoother, but you have to ask yourself if Simmons can be the best player on a championship team.

9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

It seemed like Butler did not want to play with Harden over concerns over their play not complimenting each other. I would love to see him in Miami though over Morey or D'Antoni getting him that would just sting more.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most likely landing spot? Houston.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aren’t you used to doing things prematurely? :p

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don’t like to either, but we should be prepared if things get funny over the next week.

there has been nothing from HARDEN since all of these moves have been made that has indicated he has recommitted to this franchise. We want to believe that we’ve addressed some of his chief concerns, but who knows what’s really being said in private.

fattz, saleem and Corrosion like this.
  13. riko

riko Member

Thats nonsense he wanted his own team and he didn’t like Paul. Butler should now understand Miami as it is will not beat the Lakers.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no chance at all that anything happens in the next week or even over the next month.

The earliest this could even possibly be a relevant topic is at the trade deadline, but that's absolute worst case scenario. Realistically next offseason is the first time this would be a topic for discussion.

D-rock likes this.
  15. finsraider

finsraider Member

I’m not so sure. Harden could make things ugly around here if he’s 100% committed to leaving. There was an article that said some people in the Houston front office believe Harden doesn’t necessarily want to leave Houston...he just wants to win. Well he may still think we can’t win and demand to be traded to a contender.

consider that the 2 players we are trying to sell him on are a guy that hasn’t played in 2 years because of an Achilles injury and someone that had a good stretch of like 15 games in Feb/March. There’s good reasons for him to doubt that.

I’d hate for his last year here to be soured the way Davis’ was in New Orleans.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Stop it.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You do know that he was part of those players coming here right?

Harden showed up for camp on time and has been part of the moves the Rockets have made all offseason, from Wood to Wall.

There's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Harden is "committed to leaving", in fact there's a ton of evidence to the contrary.

D-rock likes this.
  18. riko

riko Member

Considering Harden recruited Christian Wood and Cousins and blessed the Wall trade yeah I think he is on the same page .

joshuaao, thedreamsteam and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

You must be mixing me up with your boyfriend again. ;)

Corrosion likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This team won’t win. I hope to get picks for Harden. Wall to be healthy and trade for picks. Gordon as well. Blow it all up.