1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] [Shams] Rockets trade Westbrook for Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 2, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Lurked on some wizards boards:. Behind enemy lines:

"Exactly. Westbrook might play ugly ball, but he wins games.

They have the same contract and westbrook will actually fill some stats and get some use out of it.

I get that wall has been our best player for an era and it sucks that it was strung along only to end 2 years ago. But we got better on the court and didn't make our cap any worse doing it.

"You are high if you think that. Westbrook was all nba last year and previously an mvp. Wall hasn’t played in 2 years and has expressed discontent. If the pick is protected, it’s in our favor."

"Straight up it definitely favors DC. But adding the first is stupid on DC's part."

"Lol historically bad? It's top 14 protected in 2023. This is the same team that gave up a first for randy foye and Mike miller when they could've taken curry. Don't get me wrong I love Wall. But he has one 3rd team all nba is his prime. westbrook has two of them in the past two season. And 7 other all nba selections. Not to mention let's list other trades where we shipped people BEFORE their primes: rip hampton, ben wallace, Chris webber. This trade is pretty hype comparatively, but a sad end to the Wall era.
    "

2. Sanity2disChaos

LMAO!!! Probably the only other guy we had heard rumors about ... for Harden. Ben Simmons.

D-rock likes this.
  3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

4. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I forgot about him.

1.Westbrook
    2.Simmons

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  5. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Russ is the scapegoat because they are still butt hurt about their beloved cp3. In their mind any loss is his fault because hes not cp3. They are still stuck in 2018 when the team won 65 games.

6. ReturnOfTheMac

Biggest pro to the trade we can all go back to bashing Westbrick

slothy420, AceOfSpades and BMoney like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wall is not a good defender, especially on perimeter or guarding PnR.

Like Harden DID, Wall rests on defense and is more active/more effective defending the post and he is a gambler in passing lanes and/or swiping at players as they go by him.

Just like Russ too.

Due to his hops and speed, he can be disruptive (blocks and steals) if he can sublimate his offense a bit and focus on defense.

Can Wall discipline himself to improve defensively, God I hope so.

#587 D-rock, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    cerophilik and linvetb6 like this.
  8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

nah don't think so

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Don't like the trade... Pick protection too high

D-rock and clos4life like this.
  10. psaman17

psaman17 Member

The thing with catch and shoote number is that they look good in a vacuum but when you move a star player from a previously ball dominant role and ask them to strictly catch and shoot, they cant do it. Its what happened to Melo. Melo's catch and shoot numbers were great with NYK but it doesn't work that way.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lulwhat? What kind of pick is this gonna be? If they were gonna trade WB for Wall straight up should've asked for Avdija in exchange wtf.

That contract keeps getting worse and worse. Ryan Anderson -> Chris Paul -> WB -> John Wall

Can't believe Rox traded 5 picks for Wall and 1 FRP SMH!!!

D-rock likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting

Rocket River

14. icewill36

icewill36 Member

You can "think" or you can know. Wiz worst defensive team in the league last year, and beal was one of the main reasons.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

It already has my guy....I mean....sheesh I guess, we'll see lol.

D-rock likes this.
  16. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Wizards Twitter is far different. They are in a deeper pit of hell than Rockets twitter

D-rock likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Wall is better than an average defensive point guard. He is a good defender that at times has been elite. He is arguably a better defensive player than an offensive player.

Even if Wall plays average defensively this year it is a huge improvement over Westbrook.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Two key players coming back from achilles ruptures -- Boogie is reasonable... Wall idk.

STR8Thugg and raining threes like this.
  19. raining threes

I think Wall offensively will be better than ever with a new and improved jumpshot. He looks better than ever before.

What I want to know about is how is his defense and lateral movement skills? I cant seem to find those on those videos. If those skills are in top shape then Wall will be a significant upgrade. If not then not so much.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Listen, when John Wall after 2 years of doing nothing and after age 30 reinvents himself as a gritty Ron Harper type you'll be sorry! Ron Harper was a high usage borderline all-star with Cleveland and LAC before age and injuries turned him into the 90's version of a 3&D grinder next to Jordan, so John Wall will.....LOL NO WTF I just can't.