1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Woj] [Shams] Rockets trade Westbrook for Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

If you watch John Wall highlights and get over the unsolved mystery of Marcin Gortats career post the John Wall injury, you realize how good John Wall will be for Christian Wood.

Its not just about how good he plays with James Harden.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

And you might be pleasantly surprised. We will know soon enough. But one thing is for sure: I will rue nothing.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

Dude Im just looking at his catch and shoot numbers. 2013-2014-+40% , 2014-2015-32%, 2015-2016-36%, 2016-2017-36%, 2017-2018-44% 2018-2019-37%

Those are not trash numbers from catch and shoot.

4. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Correct and Les, Morey, plus CP3 agreed to that horrible contract doing the trade with the Clippers before Tillman was in the building I feel like the Rockets gave up to much for Chris plus we lost Ariza

5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I like any move that sends Westbrook out. There are worst contracts in the league than Wall, including Klay Thompson, and you can argue Blake Griffen.If it doesn't work out he will be a better player to start tanking with. He doesn't need to be all-star level, just do whatever helps the team and this will be a better squad than last year if they can get some more depth.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

lol he's garbage though

7. s3ts

s3ts Member

TBH, on face value, not too happy with the direction we're going.

I would've liked the season to start with Westbrook, for him to show that he can actually play, and sell at whatever high we can get out of him. If he was going to play a game, he was going to stat-chase and up his value at least a bit.

For this to translate to a protected pick, and for John Wall who clearly isn't good enough to be a 2nd best player on a championship team, it's a sign of things to come.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still hate the Wall trade.

But Russ can Fvck off.

raining threes, roslolian and s3ts like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Do not be too hasty, you may want to look up the word first.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

This makes this so much worse.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Wall and Harden don’t have to average 60 a night to win games. Wall is a vastly better defender and distributor. The Rockets don’t have to radically alter their entire team on offense and defense if Wall is shooting like he has in the past.

In a vacuum Westbrook is better than Wall, but the reality is that Wall is a vastly better fit and actually wants to play for the Rockets.

The defensive difference is going to be huge. The Rockets can be a top 5 defensive team if everyone is healthy and buys in.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

This entire off season has been a huge gamble.

Stoner better pray one of these moves doesnt blow up in his face.

13. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

You're in the wrong business then! You could be the future GM of an NBA team.

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m still in shock.
    We traded a Third Team All NBA player for someone who hasn’t played since 2018 and only got one useless pick attached to him.

I’m ok with having to part with Russ. I’m understanding that currently his market value is not high and Wall was one of the few contracts we could swap for. But to attach only at closest a late first rounder three years from now is downright embarrassing. We must have the most incompetent front office and if you don’t see how pathetic of a negotiator Stone is then you’re also an idiot. Think about how untradable Wall was. No, Russ was not on the same level. It doesn’t matter if he wasn’t going to show up. It’s called negotiating. You know Washington would love to swap Wall for Westbrook, way less risk and a much healthier situation (again, hasn’t played since 2018, also demanding a trade and was just seen throwing up gang signs). And the best Stone can do was “hey I’ll have your first round pick in three years if it’s not in the lottery???”

Again, anyone who thinks we couldn’t have done any better is mental.

Edit: Just checked Wizards’ future picks situation. They have their 2021 and 2022 picks as well. Why in the hell would Stone settle for a pick starting in 2023 if it’s lottery protected anyway? You’re telling me Wizards were going to walk away from the trade if it was sooner? Call their bluff you fkin moron.

#574 Zoplicone, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  15. ReturnOfTheMac

To a sense this is a lateral move , but I think it will benefit the team more because wall is less of a bone head than Russ and won’t jack up 22 shots a game. So I like the trade , I hope wall can stay healthy.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The problem isn't them being 75% -- nobody's arguing that, it's if/when their bodies fail them, they go from 75% to 0% immediately. I'm sure Klay Thompson was whatever%, but he went to 0 quick.

mikol13 and roslolian like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yup so should a handful of the better posters on this board

18. PWR

PWR Member

Still in shock. Just wow...

19. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I don’t get all the Russ hate. Yea he wasn’t the best fit with Harden. Well actually he wasn’t the best fit with Mike’s system.

He played well before then the NBA had to stop. On the returned before the bubble Russ got COVID and then got injured. still Russ was a joy to watch. He is intense, competitive and loves to play.

Only bad thing is he is stubborn at times and doesn’t stay within his skill set, as in not to shoot many 3s.
    I’ll miss him.
    Russ looked slim and healthy in his latest Instagram post. I hope things don’t repeat like last season. Where Chris looked slim and healthy ready for the season and we traded him for Russ. And we all saw what a comeback year he had.

I’m somewhat concerned about Harden’s lack of accountability and motivation. If it’s true that Russ was making himself accountable for losing (forgot which game I think the Portland game) and got into Harden and Harden didn’t like it.

Also we got Russ because of Harden (Tilman too). We traded Chris instead of trying to run it back. They could’ve waited until the trade deadline if things weren’t going well. But instead we just traded Chris for Russ, who didn’t fit Mike’s system at all. We still got some good production from Russ. Mike is more to blame for our playoffs short run. He didn’t have any adjustments. We all here saw it plus the refs were rigged. Still Russ wasn’t 100% we shouldn’t have rushed him back. But also no one else played well at all.

If Harden can’t make work things out with his friend that he recruited. Could we ever find the perfect fit for him?
    One thing is obvious if this year doesn’t work, especially if there’s no chemistry with Wall we are rebuilding next season.

Anyway, I hope everything fits and that they all stay healthy. We have the pieces to make a good run. Let’s get this Championship!

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Huh? (Calling me stupid again? Clever. Mature. )