1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bathroom Remodel contractors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by asianballa23, Dec 2, 2020.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Anyone can recommend any in the Houston area?

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aberdeen Building Group. It’s a husband and wife operation. He’s the builder and she helps with the design, which is nice because most contractors have terrible design taste , IMO.

Just a few tips.

Don’t pay anything until work is mostly completed (I don’t mind paying a little bit midway through the project if they are doing well but definitely not before work has started)

Make sure they get permits.

Will they rent a dumpster? If not, be a little cautious of them since a lot shady contractors just haul off trash themselves.

Be ready to pay more and have it take longer than you think.

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What's your budget?

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

How does it make it shady for them to haul off trash themselves?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Xerobull

It doesn't.

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

10k-ish

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, it doesn't automatically make them shady but it is potentially a red flag is all. A dumpster our front could lend itself for an inspector to stop for a random visit and this is something that a shady contractor would not obviously want since they probably did not have pull permits and would also probably not have things up to code. Like I said, it's not an end all by any means, I would just want to be sure they are a trusted party. I speak from a bad experience so i'm especially sensitive

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Be careful. A lot of people pay up front or even half upfront to random contractors they heard about or got referred to never to see that money again or a finished remodel. This is one of those things I wouldn't just go find a cheap contractor to do. I had a co-worker do that and he regretted it for months. Just avoid anybody that wants the money up front. You may want to get on apps like Nextdoor to see people in your area that are getting recommended.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Xerobull

You can probably cut out @DonkeyMagic 's recommendation. I checked out their website and they do renos for much more than $10k.

I fired my guy so I don't have any good recommendations. What side of town are you on? A lot of smaller crews that will do a $10k job are pretty local.

Also, it's customary with a reputable contractor to pay 1/3 up front, 1/3 about 3/4 of the way through, 1/3 after completion.

10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Trifection does a nice job, above par quality , not the cheapest but solid team and they have the endorsement of Tom Tynan

asianballa23 likes this.
  11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Collect pictures and ideas from online (pinterest etc.) and pull pages from home magazines when you find a look you like. If you can't articulate what you want you're likely not going to be satisfied when all is said and done.

Know that tile alone can be very expensive, as can laying it. But do hire a good tile guy--especially if you're going to be doing a shower with it (you don't want leaks and water damage).

12. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Yeah i figured home builders usually will charge lot more than just remodeling contractors.

SW side.

13. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Designs By Jenny

My wife is friends with the owner from her flooring days, and they recently did a master bath remodel for us. They do excellent work, have their own trusted contractors, and are honest. Prices are pretty much what you expect. Couldn't be happier the end result.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

For 10k you could put a nice used honda accord in your bathroom.

15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Oh I see what you mean.

I did my own tub surround reno. Had one of those Waste Management Pick up dumpster bag things. No one ever stopped by, but I could see where that would be a concern for contractor who didn't want to get a pop in.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

anyone got any recommendations for austin? im looking to remodel my b-room and kitchen actually. im trying to avoid asking on social media b/c i have a few friends who are amateur contractors and they are going to suggest themselves...but ive seen their work and id have to pass!

one thing i think would be worth it is to hire a design consultant. someone who not only knows what will look good and what to buy, but also knows the steps and procedures and can walk you through it...in my experience, contractors are not really willing to hold your hand through the process.

and i thought it was pretty standard to pay like half up front? i know i did that with my roof and when i got new siding a few years ago.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Let me know who you go with after your job is done. My wife wants a few things done like a new shower pan and different mirrors.