1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Dolan vs Tilman Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 3, 2020.

?

Who's the better NBA owner

1. Tilman

57 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Dolan

74 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

That plus the major factor of it being the premier market. Every player would love to play there if it wasn't such a garbage fire, and even then they still want to. If Rockets has Knicks market it would be over.

tinman likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dolan won’t sell the team.
    He’s not a greedy b*stard like Les. He’s a stubborn billionaire.

Something people don’t get .

dolan owns the Knicks, rangers and Madison square garden

he’s not borrowing money from Les to buy a team or lease an arena

3. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Heres the thing.

The Coach's most important job is to win games.
    The Gm's most important job is to build a roster that can eventually contend for a championship.
    The owner's most important job is to write checks.

Dolan writes checks so he wins by default. I'd much rather have him than Brokeman Fertitta.

topfive, pugsly8422 and YOLO like this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Sooo he has money to spend and can't sing. FERTITA IS POOR!

tinman likes this.
  5. HardenVolumeOne

all i know is if dolan had james harden he would be willing to spend and treat him like how the lakers/heat and cavs treat lebron surround him with elite level role players and def wouldnt sell draft picks for money. He would use those picks to trade for a star to pair next to harden. A star in his prime

riko and psaman17 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m confused...of course we’re better than the Knicks right now, we have James Harden

a foundation had been laid before Tilman became owner just like there was a foundation laid before Dolan became owner...the Knicks made the finals and ECF in Dolan’s 1st 2 years as owner

however, Ewing who was on his last legs was traded and then retired...JVG left...the foundation crumbled, and then that’s when u began to truly see the effects of a bad owner

things have been getting worse every year under Tilman, but it takes time to completely destroy a franchise when you’re taking over when they’re a 65 win contender...it’s not all gonna happen in just 3 years...we are now living in a reality where we might have to trade James Harden...Morey left...once the foundation that was here before Tilman is gone, we’ll see just how bad he truly is

if the Knicks had Harden all these years, they’d have been making the playoffs every year and winning many playoff series despite Dolan

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if the Knicks is what Knicks have been saying for 30 years
    We aren’t them
    Ever

8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not all owners "just write checks", and that's the problem. Sometimes you have owners that try to do the GMs job for him, or trying to do the coaches job for him. That's where the phrase "meddling owner" comes from, and that's why it has such bad connotations. Tilman and Dolan are both meddling owners. I guess I should also mention that there have been a few good meddling owners over the years, who get very involved but are also smart enough to help the team, but those are extreme outliers.

On the one hand, Tilman is a meddling owner who is cheap, and Dolan is a meddling owner who spends a lot, so Dolan is better in that sense. If the meddling is equally damaging, it's obviously better to have one who spends than one who cuts costs and gives away assets to save money.

On the other hand, Dolan appears to meddle in much worse ways than Tilman, so he's probably worse when it comes down to it. But we don't really know with Tilman yet because we've had Harden the entire time he's been here. That's a free ticket to "more wins than the knicks". It's hard for me to vote in this poll when we don't know how Tilman will behave yet. It's definitely possible that he could end up worse than Dolan. We'll have to wait and see what he does in the 5, 10, 15 years after Harden is gone to really know the answer to this question.

Nook likes this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Obviously James Dolan has the decades long track record proving he is the worst owner in basketball. He is the worst case scenario that we fear Fertitta is working towards. That said, the fact this question is being asked 3 years into Fertitta's acquisition of the Rockets says everything you need to know. He never has to be as bad as Dolan to be one of the worst owners in the NBA. And if you don't have one of the better owners in the NBA you're unlikely to succeed.

Nook, J Sizzle and Richie_Rich like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

nobody is saying that we are them right now...it’s obvious we aren’t as bad of an organization as the Knicks at this current moment...we have James Harden, and we are a playoff team...James Harden alone prevents us from being as bad as the Knicks

also, Dolan has an almost 20 year head start on Tilman when it comes to ruining a franchise

people are saying that with Tilman as owner, it is possible that we could get to the point where we’re on the Knicks’ level in the future

meddling owners are typically not good things, especially when they’re not even willing to spend...also, we hear reports of 24 yo Patrick Fertitta being involved in decisions...yikes

nobody knew Dolan would be as bad as he was when he 1st became the new owner...it was after those 90s Knicks teams got torn down and JVG left that Dolan’s sh*ttiness became apparent

Tilman can meddle and be as cheap as he wants...as long as he has James Harden, he will get 50 wins and a playoff appearance...u could easily say the same for Dolan if he had James Harden

Would Dolan be seen as being as horrible as he is if he lucked into a James Harden who was gifting him a playoff appearance every year? Players like James Harden mask deficiencies and the impact of bad decision making.

harold bingo, Richie_Rich and YOLO like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Reputation is a hard thing to shake. Even if that perception later becomes not true.

Tillman's perception is well known here; but national media: it's not as bad...yet. Few outlets / pundits have allude to the spending already. So the scent has been picked up.

In the small chance a Fertitta is reading this thread, change the tide while you still can. Once you become a Dolan or the Suns owner, that image can forever stick.

If financially can't afford, sell it to another owner (in HOU), while franchise is still worth it because Harden is still here.

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I love how just one comment from a poster can send @tinman into a fit of Rockets-defending rage and spawn a half-dozen perplexing new threads over the next month, with topics like "Who do TRUE Rockets fans love more, Dream or Max Kellerman?"

I can imagine him reading Clutchfans... reading... reading... reading... then he hits that post that pushes him over the top. "Dammit, they've gone too far!" He changes into his Rockets Defender costume, complete with cape, and dashes down to the Defender Cave where he spends the all his time defeating the evil cyber villains who dared to say something stupid.

Time to dump Clutch as a mascot and bring tinman's Rockets Defender in instead. He's earned it.

#92 topfive, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    harold bingo, J Sizzle and YOLO like this.
  13. s3ts

s3ts Member

Tilman is a better owner just because Dolan has sucked worse.

I'm surprised at the voting results.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be willing to bet a lot of those most fervently against Fertitta hate him for reasons that have nothing to do with him owning the Rockets. Others simply don't realize just how bad Dolan is.

I'm on the fence about him, I find his personality off putting, but he hasn't done enough as Rockets owner one way or the other for me to have a solid stance on him.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is objectively insane.

The Rockets took a 65 win team and, almost entirely because of cost-saving moves, significantly worsened their roster, lost nearly all their future picks, and lost the best general manager in the sport. It is now widely reported that their two best players do not want to be here anymore. This all happened in only 2 years.

Anybody who's still "on the fence" about Tilman hasn't been paying attention.

Richie_Rich, psaman17, Nook and 4 others like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Give him time! Let's see what he can do! :D

harold bingo and J Sizzle like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Your assumption that moves were solely "cost saving" is just that, an assumption. The worst move the Rockets made was trading CP3 for Westbrook...you gonna tell me picking up the worst contract in the league (yes, worse than Wall) was a "cost saving" move?

It was done to appease Harden, that single move did more to hurt the team than anything you can point to. Not bringing back and getting stuck long term with a washed up Ariza, who was one of the main reasons why the team lost to the Warriors in his last season with the team by being completely worthless, simply does not compare.

Like I said, most of those who REALLY hate Fertitta, feel that way for other reasons and are only looking for excuses.

18. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets don’t have Chris Paul because Tilman became angry that Paul wasn’t healthy and made so much money. He was telling other team owners it was the worst contract in the NBA... then Tilman pushed the trade through when his basketball people were against it.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

"I was in Europe, and so I was six or seven hours ahead of them. So I’m talking at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. And we just decided to do it. They ran different statistics by me.

"My basketball ops [operations] got maybe a little weak at the end, and I just said, ‘We’re doing this. We are going to make the change. We’re going to go after it and roll the dice. We’re going to find that 5 percent.’

"The one thing I believe you do in business, and you do in basketball, is you never sit still. You always keep it exciting. Not only is it exciting that we’re a better team, but it’s exciting for the fans. I owe it to them to give them the best opportunity to win a championship every year."

amaru, Nook and YOLO like this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"Your assumption that moves were solely "cost saving" is just that, an assumption."

Gee nearly every roster move made over the past two years has saved money in spite of obviously being worse for the organization as a whole, with multiple picks being spent to unload salary to duck the tax multiple times. I wonder why anybody would assume such a thing. Sure is a mystery.

I literally can't imagine thinking, after these embarrassing and disastrous last two years of roster management, that anybody can seriously say "Tilman just needs more time" LMAO

psaman17, Nook and YOLO like this.