1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jae’Sean Tate Film Study Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by foggy94, Nov 29, 2020.

1. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Hey everyone, some of you may know I run a blog called Tea and Rockets where I do Xs and Os and dissect film of games. I’ve just started a YouTube channel and my first video is a deep dive into Jae’Sean Tate’s game. Hope you take 10 mins to watch it and enjoy!

Hakeemtheking, JuNx, FLASH21 and 26 others like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Excellent video! I was impressed with Tate's footwork in the lane. The Rockets could use his energy.

Rudyc281, D-rock, topfive and 3 others like this.
  3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

unless that jumper becomes a consistent 35% from 3 i don't think he will cut it.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It would be really nice to have another capable slasher for situational use. His sloppy dribbling but crafty post play, and high motor but mediocre jumpshot makes him sort of a Corey Brewer. Let's hope Weaver can get some NBA upside out of him.

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

O is good down low, but he’s not going to get many chances there because he’s only 6’4”. Weaver knows him far more than us, but he was struggling on defense. Guards and forwards will exploit him greatly on the perimeter. He does bring good energy. In my opinion, he should be a 2 way player. Let’s hope he can pleasantly surprise us.
    @ApacheWarrior

6. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Looks like he’s a year or two away to me. His turnovers are a concern.

saleem likes this.
  7. saleem

It seems that he can only use his left hand too.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He looks like a G-Leaguer to me. Not being able to defend on the perimeter @ 6’4 will be his undoing. It would be a nice story if he makes it though.

9. saleem

That and some perimeter D too.

10. riko

riko Member

Does not look that impressive

11. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

His motor reminds me of a Montrezl Harrell type. Wish he had more lift on his shot. Overall, could be a surprise spot minute player with his energy and hustle. Great video!

12. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

At his height if he can’t shoot then he gotta be a amazing defender. I hope he makes the Vipers proud.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

It looks like this guy's ceiling looks like a worse version of Julius Randle.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. anchel

anchel Member

I see GREAT defenses outside in that video. He gets beaten on a pair, like every big does (also Draymond Green), but I wouldn't conclude from there that he can't defend the perimeter. It should be one of his strenghts as small big man and looks quick on his feet to me and very intense.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He’s looks like he’s got a long way to go defensively. He doesn’t appear to have great defensive instincts either. At 6’4 he better be a STUD on offense if you’re worried about his defense. He’s going to have to be intense to even make the roster. I hope I’m wrong!

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If this kid was 20 I’d be really excited .

being 25 already somewhat limits his upside , but there’s a lot in that tape I like . The true question will be can he adapt to the speed of the game .

it looks like he’s setting the pace in those highlights , nba defenders and defense is much higher level ... especially when engaged .

that being said I like his upside . It will come down to defense . He looks LONG . I know it won’t be as one-sided in the nba . But , if he can use his body and length to stay on quicker guys .. along with what looks to be pretty good strength.. then he can be a lockdown guy .

he’s got very intriguing tools and skill set combo . A little bit bonzi wells , a little bit of Mitchell (minus explosion plus size) . He can be an impact player if his mind can catch up to the nba game and he continues to work on his body .

shooting can be improved (or it might not , but there’s always a chance )

harden makes anyone barely competent look good . It will come down to defense

17. TimDuncanDonaut

WIP (work in progress)

18. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

This was very informative game film, good job OP.

If used he looks like he could be productive but I would max out his strengths and you would have to hide his weaknesses.

Offensively have him bring energy off the bench and push the pace immediately, he looks like he would do well in transition to the basket. He rebounds well with his wingspan/strength and should become a walking fast break or quick post game mismatch with guards his size before the halfcourt defense gets set.

Defensively I would have him on slower players or lesser offensive threats, he has to get better positioning and study film tendencies of opponents or get quicker lateral footwork defensively. Don't let him get hunted by quicker guards on screen switches to exploit. If he plays other bench units this shouldn't happen as often.

He shot 37% from three at lower volume so he should be fine there for spacing.

#18 OkayAyeReloaded, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  19. anchel

anchel Member

I dont appreciate the same, but anyways it is a higlights clip, we gotta watch actual games to take those conclusions. Supposedly he was a good defender at college.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great vid, I was actually more interested and impressed with the different zone defenses that Weaver used.

Looking forward to the multiple offenses AND defenses that Rockets will add to their arsenal this season.

HP3, Rudyc281 and Jayzers_100 like this.