1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justin Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Given JV won’t end up throwing a pitch for us after signing that $66M extension and refusing to retire...anyone else going to be annoyed if he bounces for a return to Detroit and/or asks for a ridiculous amount for a 39 year old coming off TJ? Maybe I’m being a little selfish here but then I think about his World Series performance against Washington and it definitely kind of sways my opinion on the guy and his tenure here if he does leave.

If we didn’t have the scandal and had a WS ring that no one contested, then yes I don’t care what the guy does moving forward...but just seems like a cheap way out by him if he does it.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am going to sound selfish as well, but I only want him back if its on a much lower salary. I love what JV has contributed to this team, but I would not be paying a 39 year old coming off surgery $30-35M/Year.

It may work out like you suggest and JV thinks he is worth much more than the Astros do. Lots could happen.

But if he has thrown his last pitch as an Astro, I wish him well wherever he goes.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

There is no reason to hate JV. (...unless he goes to NYY, BOS, LAD, TEX ;))

He probably has thrown his last pitch as an Astro. If he leaves to go finish his career in Detroit, so be it, good for him.

4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

No more than 10 mil and maybe a yr with an option yr.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

That $66 million start has to be the most expensive in mlb history.

BigSherv, No Worries and desihooper like this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

He helped the Astros win a ring, what more do you want him to do? He broke down and will be 39 years old, he can go wherever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

BigSherv likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It is interesting that the $66M they will pay him for 1 game isn’t getting more attention. Other than Bobby Bonilla with the Mets I wonder if any team has ever paid a player more for less production.

desihooper likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wonder how many people have made $66M in one afternoon? Cant be too many.

Snake Diggit and desihooper like this.
  9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I mean, it sucks to be sure, but I don’t fault him. It’s a business...

10. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd offer him the JV equivalent of a "prove it contract." Something like a $10MM guarantee with incentives/escalators that could take the contract north of $20MM (shoot, even $30MM) based on wins/innings/how far the team advances and/or individual awards.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

With the shortened season Verlander will end up getting 45.2 million and not full 66 million.

No Worries and Nook like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Why should he take a discount to whatever his market value is or retire just because you want the Astros to save money? It's not like he injured himself - he got injured doing his job. You wouldn't pay him extra if he wasn't injured, so you shouldn't expect to pay him less if he is. The chance of injury is already factored into the contract he got.

This just makes you sound selfish and kind of like an ass.

Theking likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Verlander pitched 2.5 seasons for the Astros.

His first year after the trade he had an era of 1.10... won ALCS MVP coming back to beat the Yankees and the Astros won the first World Series in franchise history.

His second year he finished second in the Cy Young voting.

His third year he won the Cy Young and lead the Astros to the World Series.

As an Astro Verlander was 45-13 with an era of around 2.40 with a WHIP of .08 and 12 K’s per 9 innings.

Justin Verlander earned every God damn Penny he got from the Astros.

14. Radricky

Radricky Member

Hating on jv is truly foolish. He did everything we could have asked from him.

awc713 likes this.
  15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'm assuming his contract was insured and the astros aren't actually paying out his full salary themselves.

BigSherv and msn like this.
  16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

they haven’t said anything about insurance, which tells me that insurance is paying a reasonable amount. If they were footing it all themselves I’m sure we would hear about it as part of a PR campaign - baseball ownership loves nothing more than to talk about ways they lose money (see recent Phillies interview, for example).

17. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

Hoping they can work out a one year deal to keep him here. He is rehabbing on the Astros dime, may as well try to get the benefits of his comeback.

18. Major

Major Member

Big name, expensive players get injured every year. When do you ever hear about the insurance status of their contracts?

19. msn

msn Member

I remember hearing about it with Bagwell.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

From what I remember it only paid if Bagwell had a career ending injury, not just out for one season. Since then that's how I thought most of these insurance policies work and if that's the case any insurance on Verlander wouldn't pay because this isn't career ending.