1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

MOREY WHO??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Nov 23, 2020.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

EG is useless to Porland as they have scorers like Dame.

Some teams are forever in the lotto and some teams love being in the lotto like OKC or Celts. It all depends on whether you have **** mgt or good mgt. So far Stone has impressed me so if we do rebuild it shouldnt take decades.

Its not like the Rox are in the best possible position now lol, the best Harden era has achieved is WCF which while amazing isnt exactly extremely hard to replicate either, esp in 4 years when the King is done its gonna be wide open again.

2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Honestly I don't think Morey was the problem. I think Dantoni was. I don't know how things work but I guess you could have made the arguement that a GM could tell a coach to play certain players. We seen servacable peieces ride the bench in Dantoni era so its possible that Morey was just like screw it, if he wont play these guys I will try to get guys he will play.

Who knows what really went on though. I am definitely happy with the direction Stone is taking the team and I am happy about the coaching hires. Now lets hope The Tilmong will put his money where his mouth is but every bit of evidence suggests he wont.

DreamShook, Ramo$e and RustyHarden like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he gets his mitts on a new Harden after the old Harden leaves.

4. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Um, yeah Patrick, it’s definitely not 2015.

5. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

I don't know where this enthusiasm for a relatively quick turnaround is coming from. Dream has been the only true franchise-changing star we have been able to draft in the past 30 years. Great players rarely come our way through free agency or trades. Before Harden came we have been out of the playoffs for eight of the past fifteen years and only went to the second round once so I'd say a WCF berth isn't that easy to come by.

Reeko and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I agree that Aaron Gordon is maybe the perfect fit in the front court with wood and harden. but even though rus completely and single handedly lost 2-3 playoff games for us, we have to remember the quad injury and having covid really hampered him. he was not game ready, let alone playoff ready. when healthy through January and February he was dominant. he and James playing at that level is a championship contender. no one else we get can match that fire power to take over and win a game by yourself. granted we can look at age, reliance on athleticism, and all his warts and say we may never see the "winter rus" again. but I think its worth running it back with him to find out because its our best chance to compete this season. remember without a second star, the rockets relied on James too heavily and he looked physically exhausted in the playoffs. no legs left. Fournier and a.gordon aren't enough to compensate if you're trying to compete this season.

if we have to trade rus I really like the Orlando package going forward (just not for competing this season). keep gordon as the PF. both he and wood are young and athletic and multi-skilled. it frees up PJ, house, and Fournier to aggregate into a PG to take some creation responsibilities away from James.

fckbandwagons, Plowman and finsraider like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

C'mon. Because Capela making way for Westbrook playing like a mini Center for 2 months doesn't mean he will dominate this way the rest of his Rocket stint.

The quad injury tells you that he is getting older and his athleticism which he relied on heavily, will eventually fade.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I mean I like the Christian Wood signing (Harden or no Harden), but other than that, I think it's a bit early to start these type of threads that could be one of those laughing stock threads in 6 months.

I think folks are not really realizing that Harden will still be an issue we have to deal with. The Hakeem turnaround situation is not the norm, and that was something like 30 years ago in a completely different league. There is like a 99.8% chance that Harden is still going to try and push himself out, and it'll affect everything.... on the court and off.

So let's see. I don't think a whole lot really has changed other than adding a couple bigs... one who is a perfect fit, and another that a HUGE gamble much like the Carmelo signing which could blow up, and cause unnecessary friction.

HP3 and YOLO like this.
  9. finsraider

finsraider Member

I like that last idea.

trading for Gordon, like the signing of Wood, is a deal that works now and later, and you’d have to think there would be good synergy there.

I like your idea to combine PJ, House and Fournier at the deadline. Another idea - Bima mentioned a hypothetical trade that would get us Derrick Rose. That doesn’t make sense if Westbrook is here, but if he’s gone, that’s perfect.

Rose / Fournier
    Harden / McLemore / Brown
    House / Nwaba / Tate
    Gordon / Tucker
    Wood / Cousins

Not 100% on Rose as a starter, but I don’t hate that lineup, and it clears a bunch of cap for next summer.

what you're talking about with Westbrook about taking some of the load off Harden...some of that is schematic, and is something our new staff will address I think. There was so much pressure on Harden in part because of design. The whole offense has been 4/5 out ISO since Dantoni got here. That means when Harden sits, you need someone who can basically do the same thing. I think we will be moving away from that, which is why someone like Westbrook might not be necessary.

#69 finsraider, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Y2JT and fckbandwagons like this.
  10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I wonder if things will finally change around here when our team is worse than last year, despite the off season going exactly how you and others wanted it to go.

I doubt it. The goal posts will probably shift, or excuses will be made. I wonder if anyone will finally say “wow, maybe we shouldn’t take more midrange jumpers” or maybe “wow, length at the PF spot actually doesn’t translate into additional wins.”

Just kidding. They won’t. Anybody that still believes these empirically incorrect ideas won’t change their mind with logic, because they didn’t arrive at their initial conclusion using logic.

It’s amazing to consider actually.

hakeem94 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  11. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

What's with all these ****ing Mavs fans disguised as CF members that want to see Stone fail? I didn't expect anywhere near what he's done in his first go-round. Either we got some Mavs fans or MOFs (Morey-only Fans) in here that aren't cheering for Stone to pull the upset over Morey in his first offseason.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think MDA was more of the problem than Morey. I would have loved to see what Silas could have done with any of the teams Morey put together. Mavs only have one true star in Luka, and Silas got many buckets from fringe NBA talent in a system that should have beat the Clippers if they were healthy.

Rockets had better teams than the Mavs. If MDA didn't have one plan (give the ball to Harden) the Rockets would probably still be playing IMO.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I have observed this trend over the years. Every time we sign or almost sign an over-the-hill marquee player, we have all of sudden become the best team in the league.

We knew Dwight Howard was a bad pick up.
    We know Bosh would have been a bad pick up before we chased him.
    We knew CP0 was not worth his contract.
    We have always known Westbrook was a terrible contract long before he was traded.
    Cousins is no different.

14. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

Also, A classic YOLO post, full of disrespect. Congrats. The OP was just pointing out the positive moves, in his OPINION, that the new GM has made. Why do you not understand that? "Celebrating a team?" He appears to just be happy that the new GM is making moves that align with how he thinks a team should be constructed. Furthermore, he makes no mention of how he feels about Harden wanting out which has absolutely nothing to do with Stone as he has not played a role with that situation. Classic.

15. Crybabyjames

Crybabyjames Member

Rockets are. 6/8 seed team with far more potential of blowing up and trading harden than winning a ring . Bunch of desperation moves to keep fans buying gear .

16. Crybabyjames

Crybabyjames Member

You dumb **** rocket fans forget harden isn’t happy and is wanting to get traded or how about that Westbrook isn’t happy and wants out . You idiots think the twin divas are going to play 110 percent this year ? This is a dumpster fire waiting to explode at trade deadline yet silly rocket fans are choosing to ignore the big picture and pretend rockets might have a chance lol . Best case scenario rockets make playoffs and win a single game against clippers or lakers .

17. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

You mad doe?

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I need to see more before I co-sign this thread

swapping Covington with Wood, and signing Boogie coming off yet another major injury is not nearly enough to have me exalting u

I like how he’s handling trade negotiations for Westbrook, and it’s good that he’s let it be known that there’s not even gonna be a discussion about Harden unless you’re giving up everything which is the obvious play, but I’ll still give him props

let’s see what else he’s got

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is the same argument for selling low of CP3. how did that turn out? rus' athleticism will fade, sure. he may start to become injury prone, maybe. but last year he went from rehabbing from knee surgery, to dominating, to having covid, to having a quad injury (which is terrible for someone who relies so heavily on athleticism). and he still was an all nba team player!

if you want to give up assets to get rid of an all nba player go ahead. its a bad move. its worth it to see what he can do without the knee surgery, without covid again (hopefully), for an entire season. a healthy rus is the best player we can pair James with at the moment. trading him for spare parts will not keep us in the 3-5 range in the playoffs, it will put us in the 6-9 range. first round exit or lotto team if we make that trade. then for sure James leaves for a winner. push forward with both, make the second round of even WCF. Silas will prove he can coach in the playoffs, stone will prove he can build a winner, James will want to stay.

hakeem94 and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

He’s made two moves. Wow Omg game over. And this is yet another classic thread that will be rebumped over and over

HP3 likes this.