1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boogie Cousins to Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Nov 23, 2020.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One underrated part of this. We were VERY thin up front. The team tried to get by in a shortened bubble league, but that wouldn't work for a full season. In addition,

1. Jeff Green was lost in free agency. Cousins helps replace him.
    2. Tucker was playing too many minutes and is now older
    3. Covington played 33 MPG for us - Christian Wood averaged only 21 MPG last year. The hope is he can be a 30+ MPG player, but he has no track record of it.

As of now, our depth chart looks like --

Westbrook / Clemons
    Harden / Mclemore / J. Tate (Mason Jones)
    Gordon / S. Brown / Nwaba
    Tucker / House / K Martin Jr.
    Wood / Cousins (Wooten)

We could still use another big up front (Taj Gibson would be perfect, but Batum wouldn't be a terrible flyer), and a backup point (no great options)

2. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yeah a healthy Cousins is a problem for teams. Jokic, Gasol, whomever we would be solid.

I still want another true center who can space the floor as insurance to help stagger his minutes.

I'd like to save him for the playoffs if we have the personnel.

Tfor3 and fckbandwagons like this.
  3. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Poor mans joker my prediction baring he doesn’t get hurt.

if he can play 28min a night he’ll get 16/8/4 I’ll take it.

same with Wood maybe a little more scoring less assists. Be interesting to have a front court that’s 6’10 + at the 4 and 5 and can get 30+ ppg combined and 15-18 rebounds a game.

we’re about to watch a completely different style of basketball then what we’ve seen the last 8 years. We never really got to see Howard and dMo play together. This will be it I guess lol.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea and we lost that game because WESTBROOK WAS TREMENDOUS ASS. We didnt shoot 40% from 3 because of Westbrook, he was garbage those were all opportunities Harden set up. We get killed on the glass every game. It was not the problem. They got easy opportunities off of transition. Bro do you really like Westbrook that much that you would just ignore reality. Stop with this garbage. He was ****ing terrible. Dude shot like 48 TS% for that Lakers series and was trash on defense Give me a break with this crap. That whole trapping Harden thing was enabled because of Westbrook, open your eyes my guy.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Big attitudes that's needed on this team.

sirjesse likes this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

With that lineup why not bring back hartestien as a filler.

7. psaman17

psaman17 Member

On offense i have no doubt he can still be a major contributor.

But, I have a hard time believing Cousins has enough mobility left to defend the modern NBA perimeter game. Any half decent pick and roll, pick and pop action would shred this guy to pieces. But for the minimum, i aint complaining. He can be a situational 15mpg offensive spark off the bench. I hope nobody is expecting a savior.

8. minis9

minis9 Member

lol mate, you need to make your sarcasm more obvious. I almost fall for it until I actually watched the clip.

9. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

So many new players, new coaches, new gm. I think the organization has done a good job amidst through all the adversity this offseason.

roslolian likes this.
  10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Ain't no way in hell we're getting the kind of production that some of you, delusionists , are implying... If he plays 25 games at 20 mpg , that's a success... Thinking he would average anywhere near 10rpg is insane... Him averaging 10 ppg is wishful thinking... He unfortunately can't run with the team nor the opposition... Low risk sometimes means just that... It won't hurt to kick the tires when you're desperate

psaman17 and HP3 like this.
  11. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

This is looking like Harden is going to stay for sure. Which is the big news really, media was trying to drive the breakup and we know who owns the media.

12. Spooner

Spooner Member

13. raining threes

The 15/8 was coming back from the achillies.

Avg is just that, avg. Solid player not a special player at all.

I like young athletic guys with high upside. Chances are one of Nwaba/Brown will be a major contributor. 2nd unit guys are the kinds of guys that usually have one outstanding skill. defense and energy are two skills these guys bring to the 2nd unit. Are they all stars? no, but they fit what the Rockets 2nd team was missing last yr. Defense.

I dont get why you dont like a former all star coming back from injury on a non guaranteed vet min contract. If he busts (Doubtful) or gets injured again (More likely) you really haven't lost anything. You must be hung up on Cousins as a person, but word is since he left Sac-town he hasn't been a problem at all. It's like avg to slightly above avg players who happen to get traded make you lose sight of the bigger picture and that's trying to keep Harden around. Signing Cousins helps with this. I'm betting you're a lets get rid of Harden guy and were that way for yrs. Probably hated Morey since he brought in Nwaba/Lawson/MCW etc...

#453 raining threes, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    HP3 and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Like I said its the other way around. Boogie coming doesn't increase the chance of Harden staying. But Harden staying increases the chance of Boogie coming. If Harden is traded we're not a playoff team at all. If Harden recruits Boogie and then leaves him high and dry you know Boogie's gonna whoop his ass.

Crashlanded19 and raining threes like this.
  15. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Let's trade harden and westrbook and build around cousins

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Puahaha harden couldnt give two shitts about this. Some dude on a NG deal on the edge of being out the league doesn’t do anything for harden’s own decision. His own current teammate isn’t even the difference who is much closer than cousins will ever be

17. HP3

HP3 Member

1. Yea then he tore his quad. Or ACL or whatever, either way its not good, its crazy to think he will be anything close to that.

2. If you think Covington was just an average player, I dont know what else to say, you are just flat out wrong.

High upside? We know next to nothing about them. Im sure some will be average-good, but thats it, average to good. They wont replace what Covington really gave us. They arent stars, nor are they needle movers. We need players who can win now. What we needed last year was a guy who could lead the bench unit. Not Westbrook who coulndt do anything by himself without Harden.

Because 1. He's been through like 3 major injuries. 2. He doesnt play any defense and never has. and 3. He's not good for our locker room. I would rather not sign him at all and not deal with the headache. Well you thought Melo wouldnt be a risk and it really messed with our team. No I dont like Cousins as a person. There is a reason no one really wanted him when he got hurt in NO, he was seen as toxic. Dude literally said he would put a bullet in a woman's head while he was on the Lakers. Slightly to above average? My guy Covington was a perfect fit for our team and was the second best player in the playoffs. We lost a very needed piece for a championship. The only reason I care about this signing was it BECAUSE it keeps Harden around. As far as helping this team, it dosent do anything for us. Morey is great, I've never hated him. Most moves he's made was for the good of the team and got us better. And the only reason we even got MCW is because TIllman wanted to cut costs. Nwaba will be fine Im sure, but again, Im not expecting anything super amazing. Morey did what he would with the constraints he was given. And if he ends up playing well that credit will go to him and now stone.

18. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Cousins so impressed the Rockets that we gave him a one year minimum NON GUARENTEED deal. AND he ACCEPTED a one year minimum non guaranteed deal. This means no NBA team.... nay... no professional basketball team in any league was willing to offer him guaranteed money. Even China stayed away. And we all know who much China love washed up former nba all stars.

if he cracks the rotation at all i'll consider this signing a success. Those of you thinking he would start or average anywhere close to 15/7, i dont even know what to say.

Big lumbering Center has few places in the modern game anyone. Big lumbering center heading into their 30s coming off major injuries even less so.

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Yeah but he's basically free. If it doesn't work you send him packing. And with the toxic locker room thing that might even be a good thing. It can bring the rest of the team together. If he starts **** kick him out and everyone else will be galvanised against a common enemy.

raining threes, fckbandwagons and HP3 like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why?