1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So when there is significant spikes in two of the top 5 leading causes of death in a group, you find it hard to believe that those spikes make up s large portion of increased overall mortality in that group?

Okay.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

No.

1) you haven't actually shown any facts/figures/statistics demonstrating that there are significant spikes in those two categories
    2) even if that were true (and i'm not yet accepting it on face) that doesn't mean they're the predominant basis for increases in all-cause mortality. even if THAT were true it's entirely possible there's an increase in all-cause mortality also directly due to Covid illess.

You can keep making baseless, unsupported assertions but you're gonna look stupid doing it.

jchu14 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doubt it if you want but I'm not doing your homework for you.

There's a grand total of 6000 people in the US between 25-44 who have died with COVID-19 with over 2/3 of those being between 35-44.

Now consider that more people in that age range have been infected by COVID-19 than any other age group, yet still only 6k deaths WITH COVID-19, not just FROM it.

Sorry but looking at the real numbers kills the fear mongering campaign.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

So that's your schtick, make baseless assertions and tell other people to do your homework. Got it.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, they aren't baseless, the fact that homicide rates have been up over 20% this year is common knowledge, it has been reported on all year long. I'm not here to hold anyone's hand. I cite numbers, if you don't believe them, look them up. You'll find literally nothing I say is "baseless" even if you don't like what I have to say.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

FaKe NeWs, LoSeR. iT dIdN’T hApPeN bEcAuSe I dIdN’T pErSoNaLlY kNoW tHeM. eVeRy MeDiCaL pRoFeSsIoNaL iN tHe WoRlD sAyS tHaT iT’S fAkE. sHeEpLe LiBtArD. wHy Am I sO mIsUnDeRsToOd?

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

Right.

Obesity has to be looked at from a health perspective and not a desire/beauty thing. When being obese increases your chances of all sorts of health complications, it should be addressed more seriously.

And no, don't give me that crap about it's hard to maintain a normal BMI. It's a pretty big range.

The calculation of the body mass index is based on a height of 5 feet 10 inches (178 cm) and a weight of 170 pounds (77.1 kilograms). Age 35 male.
    [​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry, man. That’s brutal. :(

10. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

I didn't understand the specific case of 10pm, so I read about it. It looks like it's not just in many places in the US, but in UK and elsewhere as well. The logic seems to be a compromise between closing ALL bars and restaurant vs closing them only after 10pm. The 2nd reason is most cases are now spread by younger folks, those that tend to go out and hang in bars and clubs and so this directly target them and not the whole general population (again, another compromise). It seems to be a compromised solution vs just shutting it all down, like many of EU and US did in March and April. If this doesn't work to slow things down, they may have no choice but to have more restricted lockdown.

As far as Gov power - we all have given the Gov the power to fine people that breaks the laws. I'm fine with that within reason. I also have no problem giving them *emergency* power to do this quickly in a health emergency either (it probably has been done before during the 1918 flu pandemic). I would have a problem with doing this in a nilly willy way - ie. not an actual emergency.

Since it's been done before, I don't see it as a slipping slope at all, or if it's one, we are already on one since a long time ago.

Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sounds like some of the issues my nephew’s wife has. First symptom was incredible exhaustion. Could barely get out of bed. Immediately got tested and was positive. She was very worried about my nephew, who’s diabetic. Stayed isolated in their master bedroom with the separate bath.

Other than that, didn’t get hit really hard, didn’t lose sense of smell (not everyone does), had only a mild fever. I sent her an oximeter and the readings were a little low, but not alarmingly so. But she developed this bad cough that hasn’t gone away. Like I said earlier, bad enough that she periodically takes steroids for it, which really helps, but then it comes back. I’m very worried about her. At least she’s no longer contagious. She’s in her mid 40’s.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Most people who have coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) recover completely within a few weeks. But some people — even those who had mild versions of the disease — continue to experience symptoms after their initial recovery.

These people sometimes describe themselves as "long haulers" and the condition has been called post-COVID-19 syndrome or "long COVID-19."

Older people and people with many serious medical conditions are the most likely to experience lingering COVID-19 symptoms, but even young, otherwise healthy people can feel unwell for weeks to months after infection. The most common signs and symptoms that linger over time include:
    • Fatigue
    • Shortness of breath
    • Cough
    • Joint pain
    • Chest pain
    Other long-term signs and symptoms may include:
    • Muscle pain or headache
    • Fast or pounding heartbeat
    • Loss of smell or taste
    • Memory, concentration or sleep problems
    • Rash or hair loss

B-Bob, Andre0087 and conquistador#11 like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pointing out that we cannot achieve longterm economic recovery without the virus being under control. I pointed to the example of Sweden where they relied on primarily voluntary measures yet when compared to neighboring countries that they are very similar to they didn't do so well. You said you didn't agree.

I actually agree with you that obesity and nutrition is a major problem. That said as other posters have noted attempts to address those have also failed.

Ideally we shouldn't need government enforcement. Ideally people should've been doing the right things regarding mask wearing, social distance, and other steps. That said ideally people shouldn't smoke or drink and drive either but it is well established that government can curtail and limit behavior that presents a risk to society.

Deckard likes this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

BMI has its problems, so does height to waist ratio, but both are metrics you can use to try to correlate obesity to mortality and morbidity. Over a large sample size they work and they both point to **** we've know for a while that on the whole fat people don't live as long and are not as healthy whilst alive.

14. cdastros

cdastros Member

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

BMI works for the general public.
    The very people that it doesn't work on are the folks we don't need to care about...muscular type/athletes.

You are not going to get the entire country to do a dexa scan to get accurate bodyfat %.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't think outside of height/waist ratio there is even a study out there saying big guys with lower fat % are x more healthy than higher fat % at their same BMI. This is just some bias without much science out there to back it up.

As far as long term health goes, the marathon runner body probably wins out.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope everyone is able to have a safe Thanksgiving.

18. Roscoe Arbuckle

For someone in your health, I understand your fear. Those of us who are healthy need to move on.

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I lost my weight several years ago and I’m very healthy. When are you going to grow up and not be a miserable sack of **** that’s going to grow old miserable and die alone?

Jimmy Chase, peleincubus and Sajan like this.
  20. Roscoe Arbuckle

I definitely doubt that, but you're welcome to post your weight watcher pic.

As for me? I'm not the one who changed, you twat. You are. And you did it without any argument between us on here or anywhere else.

As to being alone? I just had 40 people over this weekend...

Again, I reeeeeally doubt you lost that 100 lbs. And it's extremely easy to find someone when you're willing to settle; something your wife decided a while ago.

#10360 Roscoe Arbuckle, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020