1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad Idea San Francisco homeless update: homeless caused $3 million damage in hotels

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's hard to do this in a normal situation, but even more a nightmare to do it during a contagious pandemic that disproportionately hits minorities.

I can't really judge the program because the homeless situation there is a mess to the point where people are numb to the ghosts wandering on the strees. I've even purposely lived around the loin after living in the Millennium Tower.

There just aren't any easy answers to throw out. You definitely don't want vectors of covid wandering around with as much frequency as last year. With SF as dense, you better bet your ass Marina should be part of the effort unless you want every other block a potential hotspot.

You wouldn't get est. 10 million a month without the emergency, but the emergency is why people would spend ten million on the homeless.

Typical short sighted Catch-22

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You lived in Tenderloin for experimental reasons ??
    You braver than these fake Noe Valley posters

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Thats what Susie said the cost was
    On cbs local in the bay
    [​IMG]

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what she said the value was. She was using consumer rates rather than the contract they provided.

She did not say that was the cost actually being paid.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum
    So the residents don’t want housing projects in their hood?
    Lol

‘I support helping but not in my hood’

6. Buck Turgidson

80+/- percent of the homeless in Austin who have been moved into hotel/permanent living have stayed there for over a month.

This is not a solution, but it's a good sign and step forward.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

The previous article shows that now San Francisco wants to move them permanently in a hotel in the middle of the neighborhood
    Everyone supports helping the homeless
    But hell no
    To it being in their neighborhood

no big surprise

8. Buck Turgidson

I thought you lived in Texas...no?

Austin specifically?

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Yo I know you’re trolling
    There’s articles about Afghanistan

do I live in Afghanistan?

Also you don’t know where I live and. I don’t know where you live

And that’s the way the internet is suppose to be

You can assume all you want
    But knowing things about other places is part of being cultured
    Which the majority of the art history dropouts don’t get

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I got it. I finally got it. An art history drop out ****ed your mother and left her. My condolences.

High culture is repeating the same jokes in a NBA team fan message board for 20 years.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

The truth is that any neighborhood in America that has residents do not want a giant homeless shelter in the right in the middle of their neighborhood

Homeless people don’t pay rent or own homes or pay taxes so technically they are not residents

12. fchowd0311

Then vote for policies that reduce homelessness instead of b****ing about it.

Agree with policies that decriminalize drugs. The only thing that crimsluzing drugs is that people who abuse who eventually reform fall back because they realize they've become unemployable with jobs with respectable salaries because employers won't hire people with criminal histories.

Remove weed from schedule 1 and legalize it federally so people who smoked weed can get a damn respectable job. Weed stays in the system for months. This results in people being scare to apply to careers that provide good salaries because they all drug test and unlike actual hard substances like cocaine, weed is far soluble which means it stays in your system a long time. It makes no sense for an employer to reject someone for work when they smoked weed a month ago while hiring someone who goes home after work and abuses alcohol.

Create legislation that prevents giant corporations from buying home units which decreases the supply of single family unit homes and inflating the costs of homes.

And a lot of homeless people do have some basic level of income. It's just they are priced out of homes or their credit score is poor that landlords reject their applications.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always assumed you were Houstonian with Vietnamese ancestry. That and you were an expert in TVs

14. tinman

Supporting Member

You can assume anything you want

But the topic of housing and homeless people affects all major cities and how you attempt to solve the problem
    Nobody is building a homeless shelter in Houston or Dallas or Austin in the middle of a dense neighborhood

and obviously the people in the Japan town San Francisco neighborhood don’t want a giant homeless shelter next to the homes and stores

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OK. I assume that Hakeem Olajuwon will strap on his Spaulding shoes for one more dance and lead us to one last Championship in my lifetime.

No one likes homelessness or the homeless. It makes people uncomfortable in a society that deems itself humanist to see people begging to survive or to use drugs or to scam people. Some people use “these people are homeless because they’re bad people” as a shield against this discomfort. Others will open their homes to them. Either way it does not address why people are homeless nor is there a real fix outside of what the Soviets did.

FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

The city is for wealthy people . It’s not El Paso .
    The poverty line for the city of San Francisco is $117000.
    https://sfgov.org/scorecards/safety-net/poverty-san-francisco

The constant ignoring of the root problems and temporary accommodations only encourages more homelessness.

how many less homeless people would there be if they cracked down on heroin and put mentally ill people in institutions ?

the harsh fact is that they can’t live there unless they are doctors, lawyers or software engineers
    It’s too expensive. You just don’t have billion dollar basketball stadiums like the warriors for no reason

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Cracking down on heroine isn't the most effective way to deal with addiction.

2. The amount of taxes it would take to house and treat all of the mentally ill would be huge.

3. If you wanted to crack down on heroine, the amount of taxes it would take to step up police activity, jail offenders, prosecute them all, run the courts to handle it, would also be huge.

So with that kind of increased tax burden, I'm guessing the homeless problem wouldn't really improve.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What is substandard housing for the homeless?

Honestly - I think college Dorm style places would be ok

QUESTION: What would be the bare minimum for a person in your opinion
    1. a room (roof over their head)
    2. a bed
    3. a place to hold their ****
    4. a PO BOX to receive and sent mail
    EXTRA
    5. Internet

All of this could probably be provided for less than 500$ a month.
    These would be like prisons but free to come and go as you please

Calculating Costs Per Inmate
    According to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, the average annual cost of incarceration in Federal prisons in 2010 was $28,284 per inmate. That cost is reduced at the Federal Community Corrections Centers; in 2010 the annual cost was $25,838.

According to the California Legislative Analyst’s Office, the annual cost of incarceration in the Golden State in 2009 was $47,102 per year. To arrive at this figure, California analysts took into account:

• The cost of security <--- Remove
    • Healthcare <--- Remove
    • Operations
    • Administration
    • Support <--- What is this in a free place
    • Rehabilitation programs <--- Remove
    Annual costs per inmate in California have almost doubled since the beginning of the 21st century.

a 6 x 8 cell - holds 2 people
    Maybe 3~5 floors
    a city block would hold how many people?

Rocket River

tinman and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

Let’s just say a miracle happened and all the homeless in that city quit drugs and got mentally well , found Jesus and got jobs working low paying jobs … they still can’t live there unless they make $117000
    Like the other service industry people they have to move outside the city take the train into town

they call this trend super commuters

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

Well thatt a housing supply and demand issue right?

Maybe build a lot more single family unit homes and don't let large investment companies buy up large swaths of homes and property to rent out.