1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone passed his first big test

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Nov 21, 2020.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

You are not going to replace Rivers with the dudes out there. He took a discount last year to stay with us. Don’t be a homer.

BHannes2BHonest, HP3, saleem and 2 others like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed he's done alright so far. But what is this extra space for rotation players you speak of?

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

It is unbelievable to me that Rafael acquired Draft Picks as Trade Chips. Now he has 1st Round Picks and Extra 2nd Picks for Trades. Great Job by Everybody in the Rockets Front Office.

Christian Wood
    Kenyon Martin Jr.
    Kenny Wooten

All Long and Athletic Players with Blocking Ability with Youth

topfive likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'll let @justtxyank answer your question:

saleem likes this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I agree and really like how you laid out your point.

Let's face it, Stone got thrown into the sh** almost immediately after landing his dream job. He's managed to take a bad situation and make some solid moves. If Wood continues to develop the way he finished last season, we'll be excited to see him in any lineup. While I love Roco, his footwork was exposed in our switching scheme and he was our most easily moved/valuable (non-superstar) asset. I'm ok with the gamble for him straight up for Wood, but the two 1sts are like gravy.

Rivers can be replaced. Green was a nice find, but chose NJ, a loss but not someone that can't be improved upon.

Wooten is interesting swat machine, and we may see how the new coaches can develop young talent. Kenyon Jr, is another developmental guy that could be fun to watch develop in the G-League with the other rook FAs.

However, Stone's BIG tests will be how he deals with the heart and soul of our franchise--PJ and Westbrook (HEART) and Harden (SOUL).

Option 1: Convince them all to stay and continue to add assets (trading EG, House, etc. if necessary)
    Option 2: Trade Westbrook for assets that support/build on Harden's talents
    Option 3: Blow it up and rebuild; trade Harden, Westbrook, and PJ

Personally, I'm almost ambivalent at which path he chooses to take us on. I'm not sure 1/2 creates a team capable of winning the Western Conference, unless we get lucky and Silas kicks ass in his first year.

But too your point, so far so good for the new regime. Hopefully they've learned from Morey's mistakes and his successes.

6. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Yeah I liked Rivers and appreciated his contributions over the years but he was an average player.

Look at his regular season and playoff numbers and compare them to league averages.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html

If we find a serviceable point guard with enough defense, floor general skills and average three point shooting (which is what Rivers had .356%) I think we'll be okay. Waivers like Green and Wooten, call ups, short term contracts etc. can be options to look if not in a league min pick up.

ak99999 and Shark44 like this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I jsut wasn’t that impressed with him last season. He’s better than what he produces. This system wasn’t a fit with him.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Rivers is the walking embodiment of a replacement level player; like if you tried to measure a replacement level guard, you'd probably come up with rivers stat line last year with his 0.2 value over replacement player

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Hardly a rookie if he as been learning under Morey. Would have learned a lot and just work like he did

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Without any snarky or nerdy tweets either!

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree , I've been impressed so far ....

They are well set up for either outcome on the Harden situation ....

#31 Corrosion, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    topfive likes this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Member

I know Wood starts and i'd prefer a better 3 to put House on the bench, but of the undrafted guys we signed, how many get in the rotation out of necessity? Martin JR., Queen, Mason, Wooten. We just don't have enough money to fill out all the roster spots with quality, known players.

saleem and daywalker02 like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They gave up nothing but Ariza in the S&T for Wood.

Yes we still have the MLE but have to free up space to use it as they are up against the apron when the roster is filled with minimum contracts. Moving EG would be ideal but I don't know who's left that you would offer MLE money to.

saleem and don grahamleone like this.
  14. MettaWorldPete

Given the total uncertainty surrounding the franchise and lack of plan going forward pending Harden and Westbrook's plans, I'm inclined to grade on a pass/fail instead of a specific letter, and he has very obviously passed.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While it's early, I think Stone has done a brilliant job so far.

Silas was absolutely the right move.

The maneuvering to get Wood and the picks while still being able to head in either direction was top drawer.

He's weathered the storm of the media surrounding the shopping of Russ before the draft.

Rafa has Also done a fantastic job with James. It's my belief that these two are on the same page.

And he's done it all in a calm..silent assassin mode. Much different style than Daryl but no less effective. This is actually what we need right now and in the future as a balance with Tilly.

Obviously, it's a long road ahead, and we'll know more shortly, but I'm very impressed.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His second test is filling the roster with scrubs and minimums. That's a lot.

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I liked Austin Rivers but I’m ready to plug in someone else if he wants to leave. Honestly, that might be the best solution to improve our team chemistry this year. Remove half of last years guys and start fresh with another group of players and hope for better results.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let us be homers, it is the last time in a very long future.

HP3 likes this.
  19. dawesome

dawesome Member

Spot on. Couldn't agree more.

Plowman likes this.
  20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

it's real, good analysis!

topfive likes this.