1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I will always believe jimmer fredette got cancelled in the nba similar to Billy Ray with Achy Breaky

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Nov 21, 2020.

1. what

what Member

They were never going to let the Jimmer show happen in the nba.
    He didn't just fall off a cliff, it was the Billy Ray factor of too much success.
    The guy was bombing on everyone for 40 feet and then he gets to the nba and smart sat him on the bench and cooked up this idea that he can't guard anybody. Neither can Kyrie Irving but that never stopped him.
    This was the worst hit job in the history of the nba, leveled to a guy that was a force of nature.

AXG, hakeem94, Why not? and 2 others like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

He's played 241 NBA games for 5 different teams, and didn't pan out on any of them.

It's not like he played 5 minutes of one game and then was blackballed from the league.

He's just not an NBA caliber player.

3. what

what Member

You should look up the story behind Keith Smart and Steve Alford.
    Smart demolished Jimmers confidence. There was nobody in the history of basketball other than perhaps the big centers like Ralph and Lew.
    The **** he was making was ridiculous. It was a hit job.

4. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Hmmm... this sounds eerily similar to Jeremy Lin conspiracy threads.

Good/bad luck and situations happen to every player. Some find a way to overcome and adapt and others don’t. Just because that didn’t happen for one particular player doesn’t make it some conspiracy. Tons of talented guys never pan out in the NBA.

plutoblue11 and B-Bob like this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Winter league invite..........

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Similar to Billy Ray with achy breaky... wtf. This is my favorite Billy Ray Cyrus clip. Fwiw:

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Hicks was a genius.

8. jayland

jayland Member

Jimmer never adapted his game to become a good role player in the NBA and he wouldn't listen to others that tried to convince him to. https://nba.nbcsports.com/2015/10/22/what-happened-to-jimmer-fredette-in-the-nba/

If the Spurs who has turned some real scrubs into contributing role players didn't see JIimmer as worth keeping around then he was likely a lost cause.

There are some players that are only effective when they have the ball in their hands all the time but they aren't good enough against NBA level defense to be your primary ball handler or even a back up ball handler. Hence they belong in China playing against CBA defense where they can score at will like Jimmer and Jeremy Lin.

Why not? and delta69er like this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

remember when his chinese team went up against the rockets? he almost singlehandedly won the game for team china. dorrell mauri should've signed him.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. what

what Member

Bill Hicks was way too cynical for my tastes. It's not that funny, it comes off as mean-spirited, as if he hated everything about life.
    Sitting through an hour of Bill Hicks I'd probably shoot myself too.

Why not? likes this.
  11. what

what Member

Like I said, Jimmer was robbed of a career because of pettiness.

Jontro likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

okay fine but WTH is the comparison between Jimmer and Cyrus??

TimDuncanDonaut and STR8Thugg like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

no doubt. maybe he'll have a good coaching career in his future.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

one is a goat country singer that produced a goat pop star... and the other isn't

Duke Fan, plutoblue11 and B-Bob like this.
  15. MettaWorldPete

Bill Hicks didn't shoot himself, and his most famous bits, such as "It's Just a Ride" are the opposite of cynical.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Hicks had a wide variety of material and he was incredibly intelligent. He definitely spoke his mind though.

I had friends who were standups so I got to see Hicks many times. He was the proverbial " Comic's Comic". Other comics loved him.

17. what

what Member

Billy Ray Cyrus was not ever accepted by the country music community. Mainly because of pettiness over the fact that achy breaky heart broke records.
    There is a famous story about how Waylon Jennings was up on stage at an award show and said that Billy Ray Cyrus's shoestrings were too tight or something like that. Basically saying that Billy Ray wasn't a real country music singer.
    For a lot of years Billy Ray wasn't accepted in country at all so he got success with achy breaky heart but then he got the backlash.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay, thanks for explaining! Appreciate it.
    I wonder if Jimmer's shoestrings were also too tight.

Duke Fan likes this.
  19. what

what Member

Being somewhat familiar with this idea, which is parallel to novelist: some people (or a lot of people) might choose to say David Foster Wallace was a writer's writer and conversely that James Patterson is a hack. Many people in the publishing industry, might say that Stephen King is a Penny dreadful writer.
    My thing is is this: I don't really care about accolades. Accolades don't mean **** to me. I am much more inclined to side with primetime when he said that he tackled his mom's bills. The point is that the only thing I care about is the audience. Perhaps a comic might say that all he cares about is the laugh. It doesn't matter how he gets it. That is semantics.
    Proclaiming that one joke is better than the other is elitism. I like Dave Chappelle because he makes me laugh not because his jokes are so superior to Amy Schumer's or something like that. I can laugh at Amy Schumer jokes as well. That doesn't make me a bad person.

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

You have to have thick skin to appreciate Bill Hicks. He’s not for everyone. He’s on my stand-up Mount Rushmore. He was light years ahead of his time. It’s a shame we can’t hear him now. He’d have a lot to say...

The crazy thing is, he had the balls to do that Billy Ray bit on Letterman. Thirty years ago!