1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Case For Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Nov 20, 2020.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

I understand this has not been discussed in the media, but it seems glaringly obvious that trading Westbrook for KYLE LOWRY is our best move at the moment, for the reasons detailed below.

1) He’s a better fit with Harden than Westbrook. A better defender and shooter, and knows how to play off-ball.

2) A Lowry-Gordon tandem will be better than a Westbrook-Gordon tandem. Something we didn’t appreciate about Westbrook is that he drove off every guard that wanted more of a playmaking role, including Oladipo and Reggie Jackson. This appears to be what Gordon was griping about to our coaches and front office when we basically turned him into a spot up shooter this season. Lowry has played in multiple guard tandems and excelled in all of them.

3) Lowrys contract expires next season, just when Giannis, Leonard and PG13 are all free agents. We would only be a Gordon trade away from max cap space, and could still have Harden Wood, House, Tucker and maybe one other significant player under contract to add to another max player.

4) Lowry makes $10 million less than Westbrook. That matters now that we are hard capped. Trading for Lowry opens up the full use of the non-taxpayer MLE, which we could use on someone like Jamychal Green to be a backup 4/5 for us, and slide into Tuckers role if he leaves next offseason.

I do not know what, if any interest the Raptors front office would have in this deal, but even if we had to throw in a first, I believe it would be worth it.

s3ts, JuNx, joshuaao and 6 others like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sign me up. Lowry’s heart and testicular fortitude in the postseason is what this team needs. Also those flops will come in handy.

s3ts, joshuaao, Ramo$e and 3 others like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

Why would Toronto do that at all? If we had that deal, it would have already been made.

JuNx, Der Rabbi, joshuaao and 10 others like this.
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree. Toronto would not.

s3ts, photojoe, JuNx and 26 others like this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

We need to see what shakes out in Toronto first.

It looks to me like Ibaka may stay, simply because they can offer him the most and there doesn’t appear to be a good playoff team for him to sign with. I don’t know what his relationship with Westbrook is, or if it even matters.

what is relevant is Fred VanVleet. If the Knicks sign him away, that leaves just Siakam and Ibaka (if he resigns). Is a 34 year old Lowry the guy to bear that much playmaking? They might think about a Westbrook swap under those conditions.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we had to throw in a pick, but I don’t think that should matter from the Rockets standpoint. If it got much more expensive than that, I’d probably walk away and do the Wall deal.

6. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Ujiri might be the best executive in the league. There's no way he even gets close to this.

7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

He is too old to ran fast breaks

8. malakas

malakas Member

Toronto want to have open cap space for Giannis next season so they would say no.

I suspect that the one who officially complained to the league was actually Ujiri.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Toronto would hang up the phone immediately. Masai Ujiri is close with Giannis and his family, and they aren’t jeopardizing their 2021 max-salary slot by trading for Westbrook.

#9 DVauthrin, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  10. finsraider

finsraider Member

Another alternative:

Westbrook to New York
    Lowry to Houston
    Assets to Toronto

This may work if VanVleet resigns with Toronto. Obviously doesn’t if he signs with New York.

11. RoxFanfrom93

RoxFanfrom93 Member

The Nigerian connection.

12. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Westbrook can trade with Lowry or Beal. If we get Lowry, who can get 20 plus in the team? Why we dont try to get curry into our team using westbrooks

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

You're giving plenty of reasons why the Rockets would do it...now, turn that around and tell us why the Raptors would do it.

Lowry is probably the most revered player in Raptors history. More than Vince. More than Demar. More than Kawhi.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

he’s 34 on an expiring contract, and cannot be retained if they are going after Giannas. There are 3 way trades where we could move Westbrook to a 3rd team if they don’t want him and they could net the assets. If they resign VanVleet, there’s at least a chance they move on from Lowry.

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

You have great mind.

I was thinking the same thing.

Westbrook for Lowry? Good idea

Westbrook for beal? Great idea

Westbrook for Steph? Great idea

How bout Westbrook for Luka! I think I won!.

We should start thread to see if anyone can point out why this is a bad idea for the rockets.

arabrocket likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

this is good IMO. Now work a 3 way deal with the Knicks and Raptors.

Y2JT likes this.
  18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I'm guessing the Raptors think VanVleet is a younger and better Lowry if they put him on the market. The thing is both have championship experience and most would rather have VanVleet.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why not keep both.
    Seriously
    If I am Toronto . . I keep my big three and look for another solid piece
    That seems easier than Replacing Lowery
    Unless there is some luxury tax considerations
    Why break them up?

Rocket River

Sanctity likes this.
  20. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Ah, the modern day chauncey billups, ish. It would make a lot of sense fit-wise next to harden. A legit 3&D playmaking pg with the intangibles and durability. Just don't think Russ going there makes sense from Toronto's perspective.