1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Browns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 12, 2020.

1. dookiester

dookiester Member

Watson had a bad game. Youre making a bad read of one play in particular that wasn't even a good example of him being bad today. Your criticism of this play is comprised of two assumptions, (1) he couldn't possibly have meant to throw it to Pharaoh because Pharaoh had to reach back to catch it, and bc Fuller was in the same vicinity; and (2) if Pharaoh hadn't caught it, since Fuller was the intended receiver it definitely would have been picked off. Your first assumption ignores the reality that Pharaoh was in much better position to make the catch than Fuller, yet somehow Pharaoh making the catch was an accident and saved Watson from an interception. You compound this bad read in assumption 1 by recreating some alternate reality in assumption 2 where Pharaoh doesn't even run the route so that it's just Fuller and his defender in that area, but for some reason Deshaun definitely is making the exact same throw to the same spot and since it was behind Pharaoh, who in this alternate reality isn't there anymore, then it's definitely behind Fuller and going to be picked off.

The reality is an offense should never have two players in the same catch radius, so either Fuller or Pharaoh ran the wrong route but in either case Pharaoh was in much better position to make the play and did. The result is what looks like a pretty well placed ball despite a pretty botched route combo, yet you think this is a good example of Watson making a horrible throw as supported by your alternate reality where Watson makes a horrible throw with only one receiver in the picture. Watson made enough bad throws today in this reality that you don't need to contort this play into something it's not just to point out that Watson had a bad game.

King1, TheRealist137 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. dookiester

dookiester Member

also...what? so in your football mind, a ball thrown behind receiver 1, is somehow a perfect throw to receiver 2 who is further downfield of receiver 1, because receiver 2 is outside receiver 1? that's some magical football trajectory. let's draw it out...

--------------WR
    ----------TE
    -------(x)
    ------/
    -----/
    QB

oh yeah, checks out. definitely can see how a ball thrown behind TE winds up being perfectly thrown to WR...due to the magic of being the outside receiver.

#342 dookiester, Nov 15, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  3. Buck Turgidson

Stop this.

He did not, not at all, have the ability to go from run to pass once the ball was snapped. You saw the play, you saw the OL upfield, you know better.

Actually, him getting a penalty would have been great, then maybe our sh!tkicker puts 3 on the board.

Could someone have called a better play(s)? Yes. Could he have audibled? I assume so. Other than that, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true, I forgot about that factor, his hands were tied on that one.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

sloppy ass game. I’m surprised CLE could only score 10 vs our defense. OLine blows. Run game blows. Receivers need to make more plays. Deshaun needs to be damn near perfect every single play for this team to have a chance. Tough predicament when Deshaun comes down to earth a bit. He’s shown that regardless of poor scheme and average playmakers he can still make the right read and make every throw PLUS the ability to scramble and extend plays at an absurd rate. Get the guy some competent help. Fix the defense. OBrien left this team in shambles.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Fantasma Negro

8. magman

magman Member

He honestly didn't have a role on this team for a couple of years, but for some reason O'brien kept running him out on the field. He was bad at returning kicks and punts, and fumbled way too much.

Seeing Fuller return a couple of punts and it was night and day.

Pringles likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

here's that video some of you guys are debating about the TD to Brown. Not sure where the confusion is coming from? Hit the guy in the hands. Im thinking a small breakdown in route depth by the WR led to the pile up in bodies, but why are you guys mad about a TD? LOL

(sorry it was the only video I could find - forward to :20 and play it at half speed)

BigShasta and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. conquistador#11

Your last post before this one was an excellent post. Watson didn't just go from having the 2nd highest 8.9 yards per pass attempt in the league to 5.5 yards for this game because he was off.
    From the get go, it was going to be ugly for the passing game. The elements determined that which usually happens in outdoor games in November so I don't know why people are focusing on the low yards in the passing game.
    Deshaun was still 20/30 for 66%,2 pct points from his weekly averages and using his legs to keep drives going. His legs still belong to him.
    Out of those 10 incompletions, 2 would have been sure catches by a certain player who wore #10 due to midfielders wearing no. 10. The only bad passes from Deshaun came after that 23 yard run. In that series, 3 straight incompletions going for the homerun throw, passes sailed.

Great qbs throw 'possible' ints every game. Dehaun's Td pass wasn't one of those. If the 2 receivers don't run the same route within inches of each other, that 'possible' defender isn't there to make the 'possible' int. If these guys were arguing that the throw a couple of plays before the TD was wild, the one where it looked like he just closed his eyes and threw it, then I'd say F' yeah that was a wild throw.

I thought it was the classic game managing game for the qb, except using himself as the running game.

As ugly as it was it , a victory for the Texans was there for the taking. The mistake was not punching it it from the 2. 2 yards that Carlos Hyde could easily push for the TD. It happened in the Minny game in two series also. The pass gets you right outside the goal line and you can't cash it in because the rb gets stuffed and loses yardage, followed by a penalty.

The exiles of Dhop, Reader, Gipson and the other Los are really a 3-4 game swing in the standings. All self inflicted by b.o.b.
    I would love to be 5-4, 6-3 going into week 11 but then B.o.b would still be here. Isn't this what everyone wanted? His arse fired? I need another firing to get me to the Lions game.

dookiester likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cobb has to make that catch in the end zone. no excuse.
    Crennel needs to start coaching and taking some points. going for it on every single 4th down is what a lame duck coach does he needs to modify philosophy when points are scarce in bad weather games.

Reading about all the bad weather Cleveland gets at this time of the year in prime football season and why they never went with a dome up there is beyond me. Kind of telling when most QBs up there struggle.

12. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Funny (and sad) that there is still no game thread on Friday evening, and nobody cares. :):(

Red.Glare and desihooper like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Suppose Myles Garrett passed Covid on to any Texans last Sunday. I saw he tested positive this week.

desihooper likes this.
  14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

So true lol

desihooper likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And it is "New England Week."

17. Fantasma Negro

Still no New England thread so I'll post this here

Doubt Phillips plays but good to see him getting some burn. Looks like David Johnson's time here is circling the drain.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

The great Kahale Warring about to show the world that he was worth that third round pick!